Quantcast
Reusing old plate - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reusing old plate

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Reusing old plate

I have a plate from a car I sold back in 2010 I think. I would like to use this plate on my new vehicle I'm purchasing next month. Can this be done? I don't have the bill of sale of that vehicle anymore. I want to use this plate as its a 6 digit plate, 7 digit plates are for noobs.

The plate is mine. I own the plate.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-05-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I thought when you get a plate its yours for life? Just bring it in to get the stickers it should be registered in your name.

Be careful about if its registered in multiple names or if the new car is in multiple names because if it is and everything isn't the same they won't let you use it.

Knew someone who got screwed over with a vanity plate over that, had it in his and his exes name and couldnt use it anymore after
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by killramos
    I thought when you get a plate its yours for life? Just bring it in to get the stickers it should be registered in your name.

Be careful about if its registered in multiple names or if the new car is in multiple names because if it is and everything isn't the same they won't let you use it.

Knew someone who got screwed over with a vanity plate over that, had it in his and his exes name and couldnt use it anymore after
    shawnassey registry fucked me with that, i went in and bought 3 of the troops plates, they didn't tell me i had to even purchase the plates under the names the vehicles were registered with so i bought them all under my own name, went to register them and i couldn't because 2 of the vehicles had both my wife and my names on the registration, i ended up having to (first of all go to a different registry because shawnassey didn't even suggest this solution to me, just basically told me tough shit your $$$ is down the drain) write up 2 bill of sales basically selling the cars to me, so that i wouldn't have to toss the $$$ out the window.

As for re-using your old plate, its hard to say, i think they do recycle the numbers after a period of time.
    Last edited by Thaco; 06-06-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

I doubt that 6 digit plates will be re-used.
    Will fuck off, again.

I asked this before at a registry as I have a bunch of old 6-digit plates. I guess it depends on who you talk to at the registry .

One chick said if it's out of the system then you can't reuse it. Whereas I've had a few tell me you can still use it as long as it's yours and you have the parties it is registered to available to sign the registration. Ie you and your partner.

I ended not bothering since the plates were all under my name only and my current plates are under my wife and I, which also matches insurance. Pretty you can though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

2 years ago I was able to reuse my old 6 digit plate for a new vehicle. I don't remember the process but I think I just took it into the registry office and they just had to check if it was already registered to anything.

I think if you don't return the plate they don't expire the number for at least quite some time as the plate I used had been sitting in my garage for years and now I am using it again
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

I still have the first plate I got when I moved to Calgary back in 1995.

I was able to put it on my Porsche when I bought it a few years back.

Its still registered until July 2017 and will probably go on my next car.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    NC1

I love my old plates 808 and 828. Plan to use them even though I got a couple 8888 ones too haha
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by speedog
    I doubt that 6 digit plates will be re-used.
    6 digits can still be reused. I think the only ones that can't are the really old ones (pre 1984) because they forced everyone switch to the white/red ones. They aren't forcing 6 digit plate holders to renew with 7 digit ones.

My Ride
    4x4

My mom still rocks her original what was that 83? When they changed from yellow to current design plate. I'm pretty sure you can use it as long as it's yours and legible.

Had to cut the stack of year stickers down a few years ago with a razor blade, it was getting thick.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Was also curious if I could use the 6 digits plates I inherited from my grandpa, sounds like its not worth the effort to try...
    Still have my first plate, been on 3 different cars now

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know a way to use an old plate that was someone elses. Using your own old plate is no issue. I have a rotation of three plates that I use and often end up with them expiring and getting renewed when i buy my next beater.

Only one of my plates is a seven digit, and it pains me to have that thing, but at least the other two are OG six digit plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thanks to all who replied and to the mod who made this into its own thread. You all are scholars
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

The previous owner of one of my cars had the plate "PWRTRIP" and I wanted to use it. Was told that even if he gave me both plates in existence that I could not register them in my name.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by soloracer
    The previous owner of one of my cars had the plate "PWRTRIP" and I wanted to use it. Was told that even if he gave me both plates in existence that I could not register them in my name.
    yep, cant transfer a plate, even if its just to add your spouses name.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You can transfer a personalized plate to an immediate family member.

edit - interesting guidelines from the AB website: https://www.servicealberta.ca/Types-...nce-plates.cfm

A personalized licence plate can only be transferred:
    - to an immediate family member, such as mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, common-law spouse and in-laws.
    - between a company and the company owner, when the person is the only owner of the company.
    So if you want to transfer it to your friend, you can marry his/her daughter to make them an inlaw?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

Oh interesting good to know. Thanks rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by soloracer
    He has to start a business, sell it to his business, you buy the business, and sell the plate to yourself.

Or do what rage said and marry his daughter.

Default Re: Reusing old plate

Originally posted by dj_rice
    I have a plate from a car I sold back in 2010 I think. I would like to use this plate on my new vehicle I'm purchasing next month. Can this be done? I don't have the bill of sale of that vehicle anymore. I want to use this plate as its a 6 digit plate, 7 digit plates are for noobs.

The plate is mine. I own the plate.
    You're fine to use it as long as the plate, bill of sale and insurance are in your name. Just know what the plate number is when you go in. If anyone else is listed on the bill of sale, you won't be able to use that plate.

You can transfer a personalized plate to an immediate family member.

edit - interesting guidelines from the AB website: https://www.servicealberta.ca/Types-...nce-plates.cfm

I can't stand that they only put half the applicable information online. You do your research, try to get your ducks in a row and then you come into the registry and we blindside you with the intricacies that they don't talk about.

We become the assholes and "don't know what we're doing." It's so irritating.

What they don't tell you in that section you quoted is that to transfer to a family member, there must be a vehicle attached to that plate. So, if you have a personalized plate that is on your car and you want to give that plate to your mom - the car goes to her too. You write a bill of sale, we move the whole car and plate to her. Once that's done, she writes a bill of sale back to you, you pay me again to register the car back to you and issue plates. So instead of the $22.45 fee associated with moving the plate, you're now paying that plus an additional registration to get your car back.

But we're the assholes.

/end rant (I think I need coffee)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast