Quantcast
Looking To Upgrade Photography Equipment - Need Suggestions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking To Upgrade Photography Equipment - Need Suggestions

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default What cool things can I get for a Nikon D300?

My dad owned a photography company for 30 years doing mostly weddings but has since retired and now doesn't use his camera much any more. I'd like to get him something cool for his camera that might get him back into it as a personal hobby, which cool gadgets are out there? I went to Saneal today looking for some sort of cool remote or adapter to make his phone a remote but the guy there said they don't exist, even though I've seen them online. Is there something where he'll be able to see the image on a tablet or something? He currently has nothing but the camera, flashes, umbrellas and some old ass light stands.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

I'm not sure I can name one retired person who continues to do what they did as a career. Well, other than Hugh Hefner.

You certain your dad has any love for the photo world anymore? Perhaps it was a means to an end.

There are so many gadgets now, it gets silly at a point and kills the reason so many of us got into photography. I know, I've a closet full of them.

Maybe a weekend intensive class taking nature shots, a photographer in Canmore offers these a few times each year. I know when things get boring I look to doing a different type of pic. Things like macro, landscapes, etc.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 10-16-2016 at 08:44 PM.

The #1 best thing you can do is never go to Vistek or Seneal. That alone will save you lots of time, money, misinformation, and headaches. Shop online with information you gather from reputable online sources, or go to The Camera Store with that same information if you want to buy locally.

Maybe he doesn't use his camera anymore because 30 years was enough Just joking, but it's possible.

He probably kept what he wanted to keep, and if he shot professional for 30 years, I'm sure he had everything he needed to begin with. I don't think he needs classes or workshops because with 30 years experience he could probably be the teacher haha.

Maybe buy him credit at a place where he could get prints or make a professional quality photo album? If he has grand kids or any once in a lifetime trips coming up, that could be good incentive, but obviously I don't know him.

Personally I don't think a smartphone camera remote will rekindle an interest in photography, but that's just my opinion. I think providing a purpose rather than a new toy would have a better chance of reigniting some passion or interest (assuming he wants it to be haha).

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro

He's a pro photog, so he has seen everything.

May be he want to try videotography and a drone may be interesting way to start.

But beware that may lead into a PC that is powerful enough to do rendering and editing 4K.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-18-2016 at 07:44 PM.

It's illegal to use a drone virtually everywhere that is convenient or everywhere you would actually want to use a drone (national parks, neighborhood, etc.) I was going to buy one until I learned I can't use it anywhere I would want to haha. Depends what you want to do with it though I guess.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default Looking To Upgrade Photography Equipment - Need Suggestions

My dad has been a professional photographer for 30 years or more and has since retired from doing weddings and portraits. He's still the official photographer for his city so he does municipal events and election candidate photos when requested but that's about it. He has quit anything to do with elaborate lighting setups and only does direct flash now since his photos don't really require umbrellas anymore. This is what he ha and I'm wondering if there is anything out there that can simplify this setup that I can get him for Christmas, or anything in general he might enjoy for the few photos he takes now. He probably does photos once every week or two now.

- a Loewpro bag that was at one time pretty high end
    - Nikon D200 camera
    - Metz 60 flash
    - a huge battery pack that needs to be charged all night to hold a charge
    - some bracket that's a million years old that holds it all together

Is there anything he might think is cool that's not for photographers working every day? Is there a lighter flash system that will light up as much as this dinosaur does (it works amazingly well). Is there some battery that isn't so heavy? He's old.

I'm looking for something that's just a couple hundred dollars, not thousands. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Name:  IMG_20170902_121611.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20170902_121633.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170902_121801.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  37.5 KB
    Last edited by Mar; 09-02-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

You could get him a Nikon SB-700 hotshoe flash for $350 on Amazon, that would cut a lot of weight out of his setup.

That said, the SB-700 can't come close to matching the power of that Metz and photographers tend to be pretty particular about their gear - especially about stuff they have been using for decades.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Godox Ad360 would be a good replacement, and an AD200 might cut it. Strobepro carries both.