Quantcast
Flights over 10+ hours (i.e. do you hate flying? regardless cabin choice) - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Flights over 10+ hours (i.e. do you hate flying? regardless cabin choice)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess if I made "fuck you" money, then why not. But since I make "I'm fucked" money, cattle-class it is. Wife got laid off today. Premium economy? In my dreams!
    Like to travel? Go apply for a job at AC. Star Alliance, fly literally anywhere around the world unlimited on standby business/first. Have full access to flight load data so you ensure you’re set for standby.

My brother @MrX got a job at United in Chicago after he finished his degree, randomly shows up here for dinner, or on vacation somewhere just to hang out. Probably saw him more while he worked at United than when he lived here.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:58 AM.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I actually don't mind the 10+ hour flights, it's like anything, I just ignore that negatives and try to make the best of it by utilizing that time to get work done. I actually find that regardless of what time I board, I have a something to eat while I watch a movie, drink 6 or 7 glasses of wine and pass out. Flying business helps, although I actually don't like the pods really, I prefer Lufthansa business class, even though it's more open.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Like to travel? Go apply for a job at AC. Star Alliance, fly literally anywhere around the world unlimited on standby business/first. Have full access to flight load data so you ensure you’re set for standby.

My brother @MrX got a job at United in Chicago after he finished his degree, randomly shows up here for dinner, or on vacation somewhere just to hang out. Probably saw him more while he worked at United than when he lived here.
    Don't work for AC, that place is a black hole. I know a couple people who have worked there and they have all had bad things to say. That and they whole company are a bunch of motherless fucks.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Business becomes even less compelling when you have kids. Haha, 4x business class ticket? That's a week at the Ritz Carlton.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Business becomes even less compelling when you have kids. Haha, 4x business class ticket? That's a week at the Ritz Carlton.
    This is true. Damn kids are expensive.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, I've flown to Europe on business with the kids, not worth it. Tons of room sitting with kids in economy. Lift the armrests and you have tons of room anyways.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Had to fly economy in AC express to Nanaimo last week. No business class on the Q400 with ac . I’m a small guy and it was still painful.
    Imagine having to fly in fly out weekly on those. And I'm a big guy, but only average sized compared to site folk

Back on topic: I'm on A790's boat of making "I'm fucked" money and riding with the sardines.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Anyone else remember when dash 8’s were only 3 seats across...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Never flown business class as much as I'd like to do it. The extra expense is just nuts to me. Like ~$3,000 for a pod to London or $800-ish for economy. $2000 is a lot of food and activity wherever you are (minus Vegas strip club). But if you prefer it and have the means, then giver.

Normally I get a window seat and pass out for the most part.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also have never had anything but cattle class. Well aside from a few trips to OKC on the corporate jet. That's pretty nice. Shaves a lot of time off flying commercial.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I love flying for work, lounge access and business class. For personal travel my values don't allow me to buy it but my lounge access for the year is paid through work so I just have a few more drinks in the lounge and normally splurge for economy plus.

long flights I normally work on the wifi or catch up on reading or the newest movie so I actually enjoy the time. Now connections and the airport in general I cant say I enjoy. Connecting in LA is by far the bane of my existence.

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yea, I've flown to Europe on business with the kids, not worth it. Tons of room sitting with kids in economy. Lift the armrests and you have tons of room anyways.
    As awful as I feel saying this - the only upside of travelling with my child is putting up his arm rest and using his space.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Going to Japan soon. Not looking forward to the 10 hour flight or what ever it is. Was searching for things and saw an article about John Legend and his wife getting turned around from a flight from LA to Tokyo. People were ripping into Chrissy Tiegen about her bitching and saying that she is rich enough to fly private. Her retort was that a private flight from LA to Tokyo is $300K USD. That is fuck you money. They don't have that kind of fuck you money. I knew private jets were expensive, but not that expensive.

We've only flown business on points. That was before kids. Now we need points for 4 tickets. Business is hard to achieve. haha.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If they don't have that kind of fuck you money, must just be the Oprah's of the world.

300K for 10 hours? Damn...
    Ultracrepidarian

Going to Japan soon. Not looking forward to the 10 hour flight or what ever it is. Was searching for things and saw an article about John Legend and his wife getting turned around from a flight from LA to Tokyo. People were ripping into Chrissy Tiegen about her bitching and saying that she is rich enough to fly private. Her retort was that a private flight from LA to Tokyo is $300K USD. That is fuck you money. They don't have that kind of fuck you money. I knew private jets were expensive, but not that expensive.

We've only flown business on points. That was before kids. Now we need points for 4 tickets. Business is hard to achieve. haha.
    I was curious, and I found private flights from LA to Tokyo for $108,000 Euro / $136,000 USD. So for the two of them I guess it would be around $300K, that is insane.

Our flights were 10h55m to Japan and about 9h00m back home with a good wind.

My Ride
    M3P

I have had requests from people to look into chartering an aircraft for flights to Grande Prairie because the flight pricing was too high (last minute pricing was around $1000RT)

Needless to say $30,000 for 10 people to Grande Prairie for a day was a tad more than flying commercial

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I was curious, and I found private flights from LA to Tokyo for $108,000 Euro / $136,000 USD. So for the two of them I guess it would be around $300K, that is insane.

Our flights were 10h55m to Japan and about 9h00m back home with a good wind.
    Most of these movie stars that fly private are being sponsored by some one or some thing. Either that or they know someone who has a private jet and pilot on retainer and get something heavily discounted in exchange for some sort of social media shout out or coverage

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It remember 6 or 7 years ago it used to be cost competitive to charter private to peace river rather than fly caribou north if you could fill the plane. Not a jet though.

Needless to say we filled the plane lol.

GP at least you can fly normal commercial jets though.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post

Most of these movie stars that fly private are being sponsored by some one or some thing. Either that or they know someone who has a private jet and pilot on retainer and get something heavily discounted in exchange for some sort of social media shout out or coverage
    I wonder if you own your own plane and/or have a timeshare plane, if that cost gets a lot smaller. Assuming it's several thousand an hour to fly, plus however jet fuel and the pilot's time factors into that, I have a hard time seeing how you get to $300K.

Also to correct my previous post, that $136K USD seemed to be for the use of the plane, and was not affected by passengers, but it was probably one-way, so a round trip might still be around that $300K mark.

A commercial airliner taking 200 people to Japan is only making about $60-80K per way from ticket sales, and I imagine their pilot, fuel, and maintenance costs are way higher than private.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-16-2018 at 10:23 AM.

My Ride
    This and that.

I flew from Edmonton to High Level for a case on one of those obscure 18 seater airplanes that are loud AF and the return ticket for that was $1250.

I flew to Miami in the busy season return for $1200 at one point.

If I was paying for the High Level ticket out of my packet, there's not way in hell I would have done that. lol

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    As awful as I feel saying this - the only upside of travelling with my child is putting up his arm rest and using his space.
    Another benefit with having kids that I'm looking forward to utilize soon is priority boarding, when the pregnant wife and I traveled in Asia, we made sure to use this excuse.

Longest flight I've done is also San Francisco to Hong Kong with the older UA plane (no USB, no entertainment screen on each seats) so 14 hour was brutal.

Only time I got bumped to 1st class was to Vancouver (pointless) and Montreal to Calgary (meh)

I don't see the value for a luxurious 10+ hour flight when I could use that amount for a nicer hotel at our destination.

If it was business, maybe not a problem but considering that our execs travel economy to the East for work, it would look bad if their subordinates fly 1st class

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast