Quantcast
City charter, prepare for lower speed limits. Implementing April 2021 - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: City charter, prepare for lower speed limits. Implementing April 2021

I don’t have any data for this other than my personal experience but it seems that as speed decreases the number of drivers texting and driving increases. So I wonder if they’ll actually be making the roads safer?

Would be interesting to see what kert has to say as well as this will also affect people commuting by bike. Many of the hardcore commuters will break the speed limit as well so if they actually follow the law you’ll be adding time to their commute/discouraging riding.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

More details:

https://www.660citynews.com/2018/09/...-speed-limits/

Another push is being made to reduce speed limits on residential streets in Calgary.

A handful of councillors, led by Druh Farrell, are putting forward a notice of motion today, to reduce the limit to 30 km/hr.

“Improving neighbourhood street safety, comfort, and livability are top priorities for communities across Calgary,” said Councillor Druh Farrell. “Calgarians want safer streets, and reducing neighbourhood speed limits is an important part of the equation. Considering the $120 million annual societal cost of pedestrian-involved collisions, this is a sensible investment in making walking safer.”

Farrel says improving neighbourhood street safety, is a top priority for communities across Calgary. she adds people want safer streets and reducing the speed is an important part of the equation.

The change would only apply to residential roads not collector streets.

“What we are talking about are side streets that make up a small fraction of your commute. These are residential streets and some minor collectors,” said Councillor Jeff Davison. “We are not looking at roads like Bow Trail, Harvest Hills Boulevard, Canyon Meadows Drive, 52nd Street, or 16th Avenue. We want to make streets safer where you live and where your children play.”

A number of other Alberta communities have made the move, with Airdrie doing it several years ago.

“Emerging global best practices and research demonstrate that 30 km/h is the right speed where pedestrians mix unprotected with vehicles,” said Councillor Gian-Carlo Carra. “We owe it to Calgarians to make neighbourhoods safer, and 30 km/h helps make that happen.”
    Residential streets and minor collectors, just as expected.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Can I move my couch into the street now and put up a sign that says adults playing at the entrance?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $120 million annual societal cost of pedestrian-involved collisions?
    It averages to about $300k/person based on the 390 pedestrian collisions per year (this also includes cyclists vs pedestrians). I dunno where that dollar value came from.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

40 is one thing, but 30 is nuts. Thanks druh and gian-carlo.
    I am guessing roads like 14th and 19th street nw since they have houses would be included in this dumb idea.
    Longer commutes all around as it is not like everyone just lives the street over from the main feeders. Obviously also increased emissions as well.

My Ride
    Silverado

sounds like elbow drive will be included lol

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    sounds like elbow drive will be included lol
    If they do this to Elbow from Glenmore south that will be BRUTAL.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

30km on a city streets.
    This is proof of councellors having a small town mentaility in a city enviroment.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

write your councilors people ....

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    write your councilors people ....
    Why? The fact School Zones got pushed to Playground Zones without consent.. And then later said they can't take it back... I highly doubt writing to your councilor is going to do much.

You watch this will be unanimous.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    My understanding is that most of the pedestrian injuries/deaths occur on major roads, not residential. It would technically be more cost effective to put in more pedestrian walkways and lights where incidents are high. There are a bunch of dangerous areas that keep getting brought up to the city and they pretty much ignore them.
    You are correct. Majority of the accidents are on the collectors/feeders as well as downtown. Here'a a map of all pedestrian accidents between 1996-2002.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...hml=GEOCODABLE

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You are correct. Majority of the accidents are on the collectors/feeders as well as downtown. Here'a a map of all pedestrian accidents between 1996-2002.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...hml=GEOCODABLE
    LOL downtown is NUTS because of all the stupid pedestrians.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Why? The fact School Zones got pushed to Playground Zones without consent.. And then later said they can't take it back... I highly doubt writing to your councilor is going to do much.

If they vote against, they are against safety and I am guessing the majority of complaints come from stay at home moms already. When I complained years ago about Shag being 60 km/h north of stoney, and was told people had asked for it to be primarily lowered, not raised. A four lane road with decent sight lines and huge median.

If downtown is not really signed anywhere, is that going to be 30 too? I am guessing it would be a pretty even split between drivers and pedestrians not paying attention/j walking/running out.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I think writing does do something. It creates a audit trail that the issue was brought up by residents. A lot what happens has to be built on a business case and evidence.
    It builds that connection to that councellor from the people voting for him. He has to keep a portion of them happy otherwise it has the potential of a snow ball effect.
    An example, if Persona A is ignored. He/She can go to his community.. say the local temple/gurdwara/Church. Word spreads in that community that the couceelleor is just a fuckwit and our concerns are not being listened to. The community realises that 'our people' are not being looked after. People vote with emotions and can be easily told what to think. Next time a election comes you have a whole community that can vote against a councellor. The election after it can grow, further to the next election.

The coucellor is accountable for his actions. His pension and weekly footmassages are dependant on him being in office. If the peasants are starting to revolt and he gets enough word. He/She then can throw a few breadcrums to keep them in check.
    The key is knowing how much bread to throw to the peasants. Not too much but just enough to keep them happy.
    The issuse is the opposite, not enough people write. This gives leverage for the counceellor to do what they want because nobody will write in thinking it will make a difference.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

That's why the retarded liberals and stay at home moms win. Because they just bitch and moan while some of us have things like jobs to do.

Write them. It is noticed. I wrote my local city councilor in Edmonton about weed regulations for condos, got a reply back, and it seemed to put it a bit on the radar of council.

My Ride

Here is a response from DEMONGs assitant:

Councillor Demong is not in favor of lowering the speed limits in residential areas.

Best regards,

Lynne Banning

Executive Assistant for:

PETER DEMONG

COUNCILLOR, WARD 14 \ calgary.ca/ward14

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Here is a response from DEMONGs assitant:
    That was fast.

My Ride

That was fast.
    I had DEMONG call me last year on a unrelated issue. I didn't even request a phone call; it was a productive conversation.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast