Quantcast
Student Loans "Class Action Lawsuit" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Student Loans "Class Action Lawsuit"

Default Student Loans "Class Action Lawsuit"

So I don't know if you guys remember but many years ago some dumbass lost a hard drive filled with personal information of people who took out student loans.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/364833/fe...lion-students/

Now, in 2016, there's apparently a "class action lawsuit" against the Gov. of Canada. I received a letter (dated August 2) informing me about this lawsuit and I'm not really sure what to think of it.

Have any of you received this letter? Are you opting out or partaking?

Not sure if this is real or some scam?

My Ride
    Model S

You'll get a dollar, lawyers will get 4 million, taxpayers will lose money, government will get slower. No point.

I got one too, said that if i choose to opt out or something then I have the option to. Probably won't see any money but doesn't hurt to opt in i guess

I got one too.

Yes it's legit:
    http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/student_loa...ch_notice.page

I filled out the reg form so we'll see what happens.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

They should make everyone who signs up for such a frivolous charge liable for the governments legal fees when this inevitably goes against them.

GL proving damages from the breech, this is the kind of shit that is ruining modern society. People who weren't practically affected in any way sticking out their hands for a payout.

googe had it right, what a waste of time and money.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

^

Take it easy. No one is looking for a pay out, at least I"m not.

I just wanted to know if others had this letter too and if in fact it is real.

Just seems very strange to me that such an action law suit even exists, at least in Canada.

I agree with you, it's frivolous and nothing will come of it. At the same time, i find it very suspicious. It seems too unreal tbh.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think governments and businesses are not paying enough attention on IT Security.

If a lawsuit is the only way make everyone pay attention, so be it.

As much as just a bunch greedy lawyers looking for a pay day, a big judgement will means IT will pay more attention in data security. Somethings I see a lot of organizations are neglecting and not investing enough in.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-14-2016 at 09:41 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

This has been going on for 4-5 years. I was one of the 500,000 or so affected. It all came down to 1 usb stick that had a spreadsheet on it. It could not be located and thus the media circus. There was no evidence any of the users had been compromised and it is highly probable that the USB stick was simply lost internally/thrown out.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Hero_X
    I just wanted to know if others had this letter too and if in fact it is real.

Just seems very strange to me that such an action law suit even exists, at least in Canada.

I agree with you, it's frivolous and nothing will come of it. At the same time, i find it very suspicious. It seems too unreal tbh.

I got the letter too, it's real. There's class action lawsuits in Canada for all kinds of frivolous things - a few recent ones I can think of: DRAM (price collusion), Danone (Activia yogurt ads), Sylvania headlight bulbs (misleading ads).
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Whoa that Sylvania one was legit. Total crap bulbs. Mine died after a couple of weeks.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by suntan
    Whoa that Sylvania one was legit. Total crap bulbs. Mine died after a couple of weeks.
    I'm with you there, mine usually lasted about 6-8 months. But the class action settlement was based on misleading advertising/claims and nothing to do with longevity.
    The class action involves the deceptive, misleading, false, and unfair advertising of the SilverStar, SilverStar Ultra, XtraVision, and Cool Blue premium halogen automotive headlamps as (i) being brighter, (ii) providing a wider beam, and (iii) enabling the user to see further down the road than standard automotive lighting products. However, Osram Sylvania omits to adequately disclose to consumers that their comparative “studies” are valueless and scientifically unsound.
    But none of us bought silverstars because of their advertising, we bought them because rice.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I think governments and businesses are not paying enough attention on IT Security.

If a lawsuit is the only way make everyone pay attention, so be it.

As much as just a bunch greedy lawyers looking for a pay day, a big judgement will means IT will pay more attention in data security. Somethings I see a lot of organizations are neglecting and not investing enough in.
    Nope. I would agree with you in theory. But in practice, they'll just hire more people who don't know shit about security but studied for a certification. None of the increased funding will increase their collective security competence. If any of it does get spent on outside professional services, it will go to the government contractors who charge a premium to provide staff that they got for cheap and who also don't really know what they are doing. Been in the industry too long to think that is going to effect change.

No outcome here ends in anything other than wasting a lot of money and making lawyers rich.

bump, just got an email about this today. you can sign up for a $60 payment if you weren't impacted negatively. Unlimited if you actually were impacted (i.e. someone opened a loan in your name and caused you $x to resolve it)

website is pretty slow right now but here it is:
    http://studentloansclassaction.com/

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bump, just got an email about this today. you can sign up for a $60 payment if you weren't impacted negatively. Unlimited if you actually were impacted (i.e. someone opened a loan in your name and caused you $x to resolve it)

website is pretty slow right now but here it is:
    http://studentloansclassaction.com/
    Was expecting 50$, this sounds about right.

They need a "send me a new identity" button for reality. Sort of like how if you lose your password, you can come in for a ten factor authentication and get a new login.

As in now, a Social security number is a very poor system to rely on as it has no contingency.

The Matrix has you.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.