Quantcast
Gas stations that haven't modernized to handle mandatory prepay - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gas stations that haven't modernized to handle mandatory prepay

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Gas stations that haven't modernized to handle mandatory prepay

Grabbed fuel at the Domo at 791 Northmount Dr NW today, and encountered something that shocked me. They had the old-style pumps, so I had to prepay inside, and the cashier told me I needed to pick a low prepay amount because if I didn't fit that much fuel in my tank, she would been to refund me the difference in cash. Not on the credit card I was using to pay, but cash, and she didn't want to do that.

WTF??? At the very minimum they should be able to hold my card and make a single transaction for whatever fits in the tank, right? That's a pretty typical thing for smaller rural stations that have the old school pumps. I was stressed the whole time that I might not fit the full amount in. Don't think I'll go back there.

and yeah, in before the "just know your vehicle better bro" comments. Fueling is so easy everywhere else, why go somewhere that makes it complicated?

How many other places are like this? Would it bother you too?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

No comment on your particular situation but I came across something odd on another board. Apparently in some US states you aren't allowed to pump your own gas. They started introducing your own pumping in Oregon and some people are freaking out about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rvice-gas-law/

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    No comment on your particular situation but I came across something odd on another board. Apparently in some US states you aren't allowed to pump your own gas. They started introducing your own pumping in Oregon and some people are freaking out about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rvice-gas-law/
    Still can't pump your gas in Richmond, BC.
    https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...erve-gas-pumps

I remember being in Oregon just a few months ago, pulled up at Shell, got out and started filling up. Dude came over and freaked out on me "What are you doing!! etc". Totally wtf?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post

I remember being in Oregon just a few months ago, pulled up at Shell, got out and started filling up. Dude came over and freaked out on me "What are you doing!! etc". Totally wtf?
    Richmond, back when I lived there - was set to 100% full serve in the 90s (early 90s) because a certain group of people were causing gas station fires from stupidity at the pump.

The council claimed that it was for 'enhanced social measure' or soemthing like that .... but everyone there knew why.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post

Good to know.

I've filled up my rental car myself a few times at the Petro Canada at Vancouver airport. Last time I was there, as soon as I opened the car door buddy came sprinting over and started grabbing at my credit card to put it in the pump for me, then I put in the PIN and stood around awkwardly while he filled it up.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    WTF??? At the very minimum they should be able to hold my card and make a single transaction for whatever fits in the tank, right? That's a pretty typical thing for smaller rural stations that have the old school pumps. I was stressed the whole time that I might not fit the full amount in.
    All these places currently are not operating within regulations. The RCMP actually hassle the Co-Op gas bar near the shop about it.

The reason why she would "HAVE" to refund you cash is there are processing fees for refunds IIRC. As I've said before, from the perspective of a small business owner, fuck credit cards.

Grabbed fuel at the Domo at 791 Northmount Dr NW today, and encountered something that shocked me. They had the old-style pumps, so I had to prepay inside, and the cashier told me I needed to pick a low prepay amount because if I didn't fit that much fuel in my tank, she would been to refund me the difference in cash. Not on the credit card I was using to pay, but cash, and she didn't want to do that.

WTF??? At the very minimum they should be able to hold my card and make a single transaction for whatever fits in the tank, right? That's a pretty typical thing for smaller rural stations that have the old school pumps. I was stressed the whole time that I might not fit the full amount in. Don't think I'll go back there.

and yeah, in before the "just know your vehicle better bro" comments. Fueling is so easy everywhere else, why go somewhere that makes it complicated?

I love that domo, it’s always such a freaking gong show.

Inside the city that’s pretty weak sauce. In the small town I spend the summer in they do the same but offer you the option to leave your credit card. They recognize me now though so they unlock the pump without issue but in the beginning it was a huge hassle but understandable as they aren’t making much

My Ride
    Silverado

I would have left.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 08-30-2018 at 01:08 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

0% first month interest on credit card cash withdrawal while earning 2% rewards? Why are you complaining about free money?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    0% first month interest on credit card cash withdrawal while earning 2% rewards? Why are you complaining about free money?
    Yeah that's a sweet deal...do they take AMEX? If so, that's 4% cash back.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I just got back from Hawaii, and it seemed like this is the MO there for people not paying at the pump. Since I don't have a US postal code, I had to go inside both times I filled the rental van. One time the guy just held my credit card at the counter, then ran me through when I was done (probably because it wasn't too busy). The second time they had to charge me for $50 or something, then when I went back in they would correct it to the right amount (which in my case was exactly $50 and didn't need changing). The lady behind me was going full-bore with the attendants about $5 back in cash vs credit or something ... seems like a pain in the ass way to run a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    I just got back from Hawaii, and it seemed like this is the MO there for people not paying at the pump. Since I don't have a US postal code, I had to go inside both times I filled the rental van. One time the guy just held my credit card at the counter, then ran me through when I was done (probably because it wasn't too busy). The second time they had to charge me for $50 or something, then when I went back in they would correct it to the right amount (which in my case was exactly $50 and didn't need changing). The lady behind me was going full-bore with the attendants about $5 back in cash vs credit or something ... seems like a pain in the ass way to run a business.
    Pro tip: you don’t need a US zip code, just take the numbers from your postal code and add 2 zeros on the end

My Ride
    Silverado

Or use 90210

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Pro tip: you don’t need a US zip code, just take the numbers from your postal code and add 2 zeros on the end
    Not sure if this works, but I might try next time.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Or use 90210
    This definitely doesn't work. First thing I tried.

Not sure if it's tied to the address on the credit card? But that would mean the suggestion above doesn't work either and I'm not sure about that. I also tried using 5 random numbers and that didn't work.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Postal code numbers only with pad 0s at the end worked for me in Carlsbad CA last year. Pretty sure it's tied to the billing address of the credit card you're using. I tried the zip of the place I was staying, and no go.

This definitely doesn't work. First thing I tried.

Not sure if it's tied to the address on the credit card? But that would mean the suggestion above doesn't work either and I'm not sure about that. I also tried using 5 random numbers and that didn't work.

Yea as penguin mentioned it’s tied to the billing code of your card can’t just be any zip code. Works fine for me.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

That's an awesome heck with the postal code digits + 2 numbers. Ill definitly try that for the next trip.

I've been trying with 90210 for years . It worked maybe 8-10 years ago, then it stopped working but I still try it every time. Definitly doesn't work anymore. Tried it at Chicago, Vegas, Hawaii, LA, and some other places.

My Ride
    Axis powers

90210 didn’t work for me but last time I was in the US and got gas the postal + 00 worked

Hopefully that’s still the case since I’m here right now and need to fill up before returning the vehicle

Edit

Confirmed postal code #s + 00 still works
    Last edited by adam c; 08-30-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Confirmed postal code #s + 00 still works
    Awesome. Wish I'd known that a few weeks ago, but good to know now anyway.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

When I was in Oroville, WA last week, it said to put 0's in place of the letters and it worked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast