Quantcast
Cellphones - BYOD vs financed through carrier? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you buy your handsets?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • yea, BYOD rules

20 80.00%
  • Nah, finance through the carrier bro.

5 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cellphones - BYOD vs financed through carrier?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Cellphones - BYOD vs financed through carrier?

Y'all know I'm a cheapskate, and like to overanalyze things. I'm really struggling with this.

I have in the past bought my handsets outright, and the used a cheap prepaid plan. Obviously, "mainline carriers" let you finance the handset over the contract term if you want. Seems like an appealing option if you are cash poot today, but can afford the monthly. Also brings risks, since most of those plans have a "bring it back" component that basically means you are leasing the phone, or are liable for returning it in good condition in 24 months, which seems like an iffy proposition.

I figure changing carriers will increase my plan costs by $60/mo, and the phone would be $20/mo on top of that. For 24 months, that seems like a hell of a lot more than the cost of buying the handset itself, even if I get a good one.

So, what say you? I want an S24 handset and a Can/USA plan, and today, I pay $34/mo for the plan. I could just spend the thousand bucks on the handset.
    Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-01 081020.png
Views: 318
Size:  408.4 KB

EDIT: Potential Mar thread warning should have been at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Depending what you have to trade in Samsung has a deal right now with extra promo values for trades.

Buy New Galaxy S24 & S24+ 5G | Price & Deals | Samsung Canada

you can get $745.00 offif you trade in a pristine GALAXY S23 ULTRA 5G 512G. They give you $395.00 (Estimated Trade-in Value) +
    $350.00 (Promotional Trade-in Credit)
    No Trade-in? No problem. use code “S24SERIES2024” to save $250 on exclusive colours
    I generally buy my phone outright but I wait for some sort of promo deal. Some stores will have gift card deals where you get ~$200 back or so. Only time I've financed is when they offer the $0/month to clear out the last gen phones as I'll just scoop that and give it to my parents to use.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

To add to this, usually when Samsung pushes out a new phone, they prop up sales with some pretty good discounts. And they also typically provide the ability to finance a phone directly with minimal (or zero) interest.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I don't switch phones often (once every 7-8 years), but every time I do, I ensure it is not a lease program, and you actually KEEP the phone. Also, I was able to get a few hundred bucks off the phone itself with the provider and/or from manufacturer discounts mentioned above.

Second, I try to haggle the crap out of the phone plan as well so it's not a $60 phone plan; rather, a $35-45 plan. As an example, Sabad's Rogers winback offer back a few years ago was perfect as it allowed a new phone to be financed AS WELL as a killer winback deal.

If I cannot get that with a provider, I rather BYOD because in the end, you'll come out ahead than doing all the extra steps to get a lukewarm finance deal through a provider (which you will inevitably leave when prices rise and all other BS associated with providers).

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I always BYOD, I tried to pay out a phone early once years ago and they wouldn’t let me.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

One minor upside to financing as of late is lots of small carriers are pulling scams where you get a good BYOD price but then they immediately raise the price a few months later. Since it's month to month they can get away with it. Both Koodo and Virgin have been doing this for their Black Friday deals the past few years. They'll up it by $3-4 with a small notice on your bill in the new year.

My Ride
    Ford F150

BYOD plans are super cheap.

A few years back and prior it was almost always cheaper to do the financing, especially if you change devices every two years like many people do.

Nowadays not so much.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I usually do the Black Friday thing with Telus, but not the newest phone. So a couple years ago when the iPhone 14? 15? came out, I got the 13 at $0/month, with just a $200 buyout at the end of a 2yr term. I do mine and my wife's at the same time, so I'm typically not ok dropping $2K+ on phones in a single day.

Since they're probably getting given to my kids when we're done with them, I'm ok paying $200 at the end of the term for the phone, pass them down to the kids, and repeat. Which reminds me, I think that this fall will be time to go through the process again so we'll see if things have changed.

So far it's probably not the best possible deal out there, but for me, it's the best combination of lower up front costs and reasonable path forward.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Depending what you have to trade in Samsung has a deal right now with extra promo values for trades..
    Yeah they'll offer me $140 for my current pixel 7. For that price my kid can have it.
    The $250 off code appears valid though, so $849 for the Galaxy S24. That's a solid deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I always BYOD as I don't like any of Fido's offerings. Was a HTC man then now loyal OnePlus
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Have done it both ways.

Currently leasing my phone through Telus because it becomes a monthly expense to write off rather than a capital expense.

Often times the leasing cost sum of the parts is a lot less even if you buy it out at the end. I watch for those deals and lease my wife phones. I think I’m paying $14 a month for her iPhone which worked out to $400 less than sticker or something. Have done this a couple times for her.

Though if you want the latest and greatest iPhone the cost is the same aside from Telus giving you 0% financing for it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Used to do BYOD but Rogers over the past 2 years have come to me with some crazy credits and phone deals.

Current plan has a $37/month credit on the plan for 2 years plus a monthly phone finance (not lease, this is buy out in 2 years) of $50/month. They did come to me two years ago with a similar deal for the Pixel 6 and after my BB Key2 finally bought the farm, I went with their deal. About 3 months from the phone being entire paid out and the 2 year term ending, they came back and give me a $150 credit on my remaining balance and got me to do the same program again all over, i ended up saving $150 on my Pixel 6 overall cost, sold it for $250 so the phone was $400 less than buying it straight out in the end.

LOLOL Mar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Used to do BYOD but Rogers over the past 2 years have come to me with some crazy credits and phone deals.

Current plan has a $37/month credit on the plan for 2 years plus a monthly phone finance (not lease, this is buy out in 2 years) of $50/month. They did come to me two years ago with a similar deal for the Pixel 6 and after my BB Key2 finally bought the farm, I went with their deal. About 3 months from the phone being entire paid out and the 2 year term ending, they came back and give me a $150 credit on my remaining balance and got me to do the same program again all over, i ended up saving $150 on my Pixel 6 overall cost, sold it for $250 so the phone was $400 less than buying it straight out in the end.

LOLOL Mar.
    That worked out nicely and continues to work so just depends on the marth
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    That worked out nicely and continues to work so just depends on the marth
    Yeah dude!!! That's the only reason i did it the first time cuz it was a good deal with the credits and you own the phone, I wasn't going to do renew but when they came to me with another deal, hellz, i'm a chinaman and I love picking up pennies hahahahaha
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Yeah dude!!! That's the only reason i did it the first time cuz it was a good deal with the credits and you own the phone, I wasn't going to do renew but when they came to me with another deal, hellz, i'm a chinaman and I love picking up pennies hahahahaha
    Are you the one that peak out by Canmore used to be named after?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Are you the one that peak out by Canmore used to be named after?
    I had to look that up actually, didn't know there was a such thing

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I don't switch phones often (once every 7-8 years)
    I wish mine lasted that long, and I take good care of them. 1st one got pooched by a crappy firmware 'update', 2nd one the screen started peeling off. On the 3rd one in 10 years now, hopefully I have your luck with this one. I finance then change to a BYOD plan 10 seconds after it's paid off.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So, what say you? I want an S24 handset and a Can/USA plan, and today, I pay $34/mo for the plan. I could just spend the thousand bucks on the handset.
    The best time to get a Samsung is during launch when they add $300 toward your trade in + bonus item (like buds or something).

Then the next best time to get a Samsung is black friday when telcos need to get rid of their stock.

Buying it out right, rarely does 3rd party sellers can beat Samsung's own site.

I am always BYOD but when Freedom willing to give me a free Pixel 7 just to stick around for 2 more years, I bit.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-01-2024 at 02:18 PM.

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

I am looking to switch carriers, looking for iphone 15 Pro Maxx. Any good phone deals and plan deals. Costco had a really good one for a business about a month ago but I missed the ship.

Saved about $500 buying direct from Google on my Pixel 8 Pro. Don't have to deal with being locked to any one carrier either. Win-win I'd say.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast