Quantcast
The wall. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The wall.

Default The wall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47207411

USA trying to avoid second shutdown. It seems they are budgeting for an actual iron piling wall (not concrete) Interesting logistical challenge, I can imagine they might want to produce up to 100 million tonnes of steel just to start this project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eel_production
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Will treaudeau make them pay carbon tax on materials and fuel to install. That's what the people really want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

Maybe Trudeau will wear a sombrero and grab a selfie

Trump on verge of declaring national emergency. Coulda seen that one coming 1,954 miles away.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    *The First*

So did House of Cards predict the future or is Trump doing a bad reenactment of it?
    When can someone get some pics of Trump frenching some dudes?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

BUILD THE WALL! BUILD THE WALL!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-prepares-vote

I love this guy. People will look back in 100 years and be like "this guy was fucking nuts, running the most powerful country in the world. And it was an amazing site to behold"

I'm pretty sure if you go back into the forum, people will find this guy ZenOps - calling for a wall between Canada and the USA before Trump was even prez.

Never underestimate the appeal to the masses of a warm blanket, or a wall. Ban California refugees.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

I've been following this pretty closely and Trump's actions surrounding the wall were predicted years ago. Statistics show illegal boarder crossings are the lowest they have been in a decade - in fact Trump's first year in office had the lowest amount in 48 years. Further to this, the overwhelming majority of illegal drugs pass through legal boarder crossings. Most people crossing the boarder illegally are seeking asylum, not criminals.

His underlying campaign promise degraded (as anyone could have predicted) from Mexico will pay for the solid wall --> Mexico will indirectly pay for the solid wall --> go above everyone's head and force US tax payers to pay for a see-through wall nothing like prototypes.

Second, he had 2 years to build the wall with much easier access to funding and he did literally nothing. He waited for the democrats to take the house of representatives before ramping up wall-talk, so that when it got denied (which it would have regardless), he could blame it on the democrats instead of look like an idiot in front of his own party. Now he he has the right party to blame for not being able to keep his promise, which is why he is going full-tilt. With the national emergency, my understanding is what's going to happen is he will immediately be sued (for things like abuse of power) and it is unlikely his national emergency will amount to much other than Twitter Tantrums about the democrats preventing him from delivering his primary campaign promise. Both the house and the senate (which still has lots of republicans who oppose the wall funding plan as it will have to come out of DoD funding) can vote to stop the national emergency, but Trump can refuse to sign, effectively vetoing it and it will still be declared.

Honestly I don't see this amounting to much other than one big desperate attempt to make his voting base believe he is doing everything he can to get them their wall, but sorry guys - the evil democrats won't allow it. Trump supporters eat it up and the cycle continues. Also the single greatest statistical predictor of a Trump voter in the USA right now is (old) age, which isn't surprising.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Slightly unrelated but certainly is fitting (and an enjoyable read):

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ZxMT5OURn12LmU
    Ultracrepidarian

Time to ramp up the fear. Watching Attack on Titan should do it.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I've been following this pretty closely and Trump's actions surrounding the wall were predicted years ago. Statistics show illegal boarder crossings are the lowest they have been in a decade - in fact Trump's first year in office had the lowest amount in 48 years. Further to this, the overwhelming majority of illegal drugs pass through legal boarder crossings. Most people crossing the boarder illegally are seeking asylum, not criminals.

His underlying campaign promise degraded (as anyone could have predicted) from Mexico will pay for the solid wall --> Mexico will indirectly pay for the solid wall --> go above everyone's head and force US tax payers to pay for a see-through wall nothing like prototypes.

Second, he had 2 years to build the wall with much easier access to funding and he did literally nothing. He waited for the democrats to take the house of representatives before ramping up wall-talk, so that when it got denied (which it would have regardless), he could blame it on the democrats instead of look like an idiot in front of his own party. Now he he has the right party to blame for not being able to keep his promise, which is why he is going full-tilt. With the national emergency, my understanding is what's going to happen is he will immediately be sued (for things like abuse of power) and it is unlikely his national emergency will amount to much other than Twitter Tantrums about the democrats preventing him from delivering his primary campaign promise. Both the house and the senate (which still has lots of republicans who oppose the wall funding plan as it will have to come out of DoD funding) can vote to stop the national emergency, but Trump can refuse to sign, effectively vetoing it and it will still be declared.

Honestly I don't see this amounting to much other than one big desperate attempt to make his voting base believe he is doing everything he can to get them their wall, but sorry guys - the evil democrats won't allow it. Trump supporters eat it up and the cycle continues. Also the single greatest statistical predictor of a Trump voter in the USA right now is (old) age, which isn't surprising.
    I had not thought of it this way but I think you're likely onto something.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Trump on verge of declaring national emergency. Coulda seen that one coming 1,954 miles away.
    how many km is that?
    Sig nuked by mod.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico...States_barrier

3,145 km if you assume the earth is an oblate spheroid.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    When can someone get some pics of Trump frenching some dudes?
    Isn't there supposed to be a peepee tape?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    BUILD THE WALL! BUILD THE WALL!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-prepares-vote

I love this guy. People will look back in 100 years and be like "this guy was fucking nuts, running the most powerful country in the world. And it was an amazing site to behold"
    I’d rather have trump running this country than Trudeau.

A pretty funny quote from Trump today literally saying his national emergency isn’t an emergency:

"I didn't need to do this. I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this. But I wanted to do it faster."

You can’t even make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Isn't there supposed to be a peepee tape?
    He paid hookers to put on a golden shower show for him in the Ritz Carlton in Russia. There is evidence of a video and some people believe that is one of the many reasons he behaves like Putin’s puppet.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

A pretty funny quote from Trump today literally saying his national emergency isn’t an emergency:

"I didn't need to do this. I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this. But I wanted to do it faster."

You can’t even make this stuff up.
    He won't have time to do anything. He has two years to accomplish this, and even through a national emergency declaration, there are 3 major legal obstacles to even get started:

1) Declaring a national emergency gives the president power to draw funds from the Army, rather than go through Congress who, by design, hold the power of the purse. The problem is that the declaration only allows the Army to spend that money on projects that are essential to national defense. The kicker is that border security is considered a civilian operation.

2) Starting this project means that funds will be diverted from already approved projects. Contractors of said projects will be able to sue the government on the validity of the "emergency"

3) Parts of the wall will be built on private land which will require the government to take that land through eminent domain claims. Again, land owners will be able to challenge the validity of the "public use" under which the land will be claimed.

All in all, there is so much litigation involved here that there is virtually no chance of even starting in the near future.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

He paid hookers to put on a golden shower show for him in the Ritz Carlton in Russia. There is evidence of a video and some people believe that is one of the many reasons he behaves like Putin’s puppet.
    Almost. The story is he paid hookers to piss on the bed of the presidential suite the Obamas stayed in at the Ritz-Carlton in Moscow.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Almost. The story is he paid hookers to piss on the bed of the presidential suite the Obamas stayed in at the Ritz-Carlton in Moscow.
    That doesn't seem like a reason to do Putin's bidding, more like something he would be proud of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast