Quantcast
Temporary Fast Internet Connection/Wedding Streaming Advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Temporary Fast Internet Connection/Wedding Streaming Advice

Default Temporary Fast Internet Connection/Wedding Streaming Advice

So i've been tasked with helping my cousin stream his wedding. The idea is to have the stream playing in the basement of the church, a tent outside the church, and then available to a bunch of people at home. I've got a decent wide angle 1080p webcam (Logitech C930e), a tripod, and a laptop that will have the streaming software (Ring Central) so i think i'm good for hardware.

However i'm worried about the internet connection at the church. I know they have streamed masses before so it's probably a decent connection, but i am also aware they have a public wifi that some people have access to and i highly doubt they have any QoS going on and i would rather not touch their internet/router at all to set it up.

Therefore i'm thinking it would be better to have a dedicated connection for the laptop that is handling the streaming, that way we will know for sure we are the only ones using it and have access to the full bandwidth. The two streams playing inside the church basement and outside in the tent can use the church's connection.

Any ideas how we can get a temporary dedicated fast connection set up? Should we go with some sort of LTE mobile hotspot solution or are there other options to get something 'wired' temporarily at a church? Are mobile LTE hotspots reliable? I think we will need a consistent 20Mbps upload speed to support a clear 1080p stream but not 100% sure. Do LTE hotspot devices reliably handle 20Mbps upload? Also not really sure how much data this would use. I'm thinking the ceremony would be about an hour, and then maybe 3 or 4 hours of streaming some of the reception. So basically 5 hours total of full 1080p video. 20GB allowance enough for that?

Anyways if anyone has any ideas on this or can give me some better calculations on requirements for 1080p video for 5 full hours i'm all ears. thx in advance.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How is cellular reception inside that building?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

We have people live streaming riots. LTE hotspot is more than enough if there’s reception. 6mpbs is more than enough for 1080p. I’ve streamed little league games with a similar setup. Hell I streamed my wedding back in 2001 to relatives in HK. Just fired up my LTE and I’m getting 15mbps with 2 bars. Park outside the church and do some tests. Don’t over think it, it’s not a big tech challenge. Just make sure you have enough data and it doesn’t shut off or get throttled.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Does the church have an Ethernet port somewhat nearby? A 100ft Cat6 cable is like $30.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Does the church have an Ethernet port somewhat nearby? A 100ft Cat6 cable is like $30.
    His worry is that the church shares its connectivity. Takes one asshole to ruin the party.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    His worry is that the church shares its connectivity. Takes one asshole to ruin the party.
    Yup that's my main concern at this point. There will be 50 inside and 75 outside, so all it could take is a few people connected to wifi and streaming a video or a rogue ipad that someone's kid is using that could really kill the bandwidth. Most of the attendees are part of the church so high chance they have connected to the guest wifi at some point in the past and will auto connect.

I guess the best bet at this point is an LTE mobile hotspot device. I suppose they probably are pretty stable connections as long as i'm not moving around too much?

I didn't realize the requirements were so low for 1080p so I will do a few tests in advance to make sure its a consistent 10 Mbps and i think that should cover it. For some reason i thought they needed way more upload bandwitch, but reading about it further, looks like the compression algos these days really optimize the amount of data being used.

Now i just need to figure out the best way to add one of these hotspots to someone's account with enough data allowance to cover the event. Thx y'all, definitely was over-thinking this originally