Quantcast
Covid-19 : are you wearing a mask for ordinary outings? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Wear a mask?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah baby

39 23.35%
  • Nah baby

128 76.65%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 : are you wearing a mask for ordinary outings?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will non-maskers eventually be the new anti-vaxxers?
    But how long before we accept Pantsu Mask like Japan?

https://www.japantrendshop.com/pantsu-mask-p-3017.html

My Ride
    an econo box

Just went to Superstore. I considered a mask but decided not to. I did sanitize the cart and I wore rubber gloves. Most people not wearing masks or gloves except the few Asians in the store. I saw an East Indian woman take her bare hands off her cart and then lick her fingertips to get a plastic produce bag off the roll...

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    Just went to Superstore. I considered a mask but decided not to. I did sanitize the cart and I wore rubber gloves. Most people not wearing masks or gloves except the few Asians in the store. I saw an East Indian woman take her bare hands off her cart and then lick her fingertips to get a plastic produce bag off the roll...
    I prefer to spit on my fingers to get that extra grip on the plastic bags.

The amount of uneducated people wearing masks and gloves for their own protection is hilarious.

Masks are pointless if not combined with goggles (not sunglasses), and there is a full procedure for removing the mask that is very important and probably not practiced by anyone outside of healthcare as they receive specific training for it. Improper removal of the mask just puts whatever was on the exterior of the mask back on your hands or onto your face. The N95 masks have to be specially fitted to the individual wearing them to be effective. Masks also do not last very long (they lose effectiveness very quickly when they become moist from your breath).

Gloves also do literally nothing, if you touch your face with gloves it's even worse because the PH of your hands kills the virus much quicker than if it was on the surface of gloves if your plan is to not wash them.

I've even seen people wearing bandannas around their mouths, or lowering their masks to talk on their cell phones the moving the mask back Today I saw some idiot wearing a sawdust mask at Costco that clearly didn't fit, so he was touching his face every few seconds to adjust it haha - had he not had a mask to fiddle with, he would be far safer.

So far every single person I have seen at a store wearing PPE over the last 2-3 weeks has been doing so in a way that they might as well not be wearing anything.

The bigger problem I think is people get a false sense of security with their hilariously inadequate PPE (or lack of education), so they are less careful with the stuff that actually makes a difference like not touching their face. Also I suspect a lot of people aren't disinfecting their smartphones (or not properly) which these days is probably getting a lot more use than usual.

Now, if you're sick, a mask can be helpful to stop the spread of a virus but everyone wearing them seems to be doing so to try protect themselves, not others, because if you're sick you would presumably be at home quarantining yourself.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The amount of uneducated people wearing masks and gloves for their own protection is hilarious.

Masks are pointless if not combined with goggles (not sunglasses), and there is a full procedure for removing the mask that is very important and probably not practiced by anyone outside of healthcare as they receive specific training for it. Improper removal of the mask just puts whatever was on the exterior of the mask back on your hands or onto your face. The N95 masks have to be specially fitted to the individual wearing them to be effective. Masks also do not last very long (they lose effectiveness very quickly when they become moist from your breath).

Gloves also do literally nothing, if you touch your face with gloves it's even worse because the PH of your hands kills the virus much quicker than if it was on the surface of gloves if your plan is to not wash them.

I've even seen people wearing bandannas around their mouths, or lowering their masks to talk on their cell phones the moving the mask back Today I saw some idiot wearing a sawdust mask at Costco that clearly didn't fit, so he was touching his face every few seconds to adjust it haha - had he not had a mask to fiddle with, he would be far safer.

So far every single person I have seen at a store wearing PPE over the last 2-3 weeks has been doing so in a way that they might as well not be wearing anything.

The bigger problem I think is people get a false sense of security with their hilariously inadequate PPE (or lack of education), so they are less careful with the stuff that actually makes a difference like not touching their face. Also I suspect a lot of people aren't disinfecting their smartphones (or not properly) which these days is probably getting a lot more use than usual.

Now, if you're sick, a mask can be helpful to stop the spread of a virus but everyone wearing them seems to be doing so to try protect themselves, not others, because if you're sick you would presumably be at home quarantining yourself.
    I believe that wearing mask properly will decrease the chance of the spread. It's not going to protect me. But it will protect others if I'm an asymptomatic spreader.

Look the jig is up. We all know this recommendation is based on saving resources for the health professionals. Even if mask is ineffective but if it reduce the spread by 10%, I don't see why we shouldn't mandate it.

IMO, if we can't test everyone for COVID, we should fired up mask factory right now and start mandating mandatory mask.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-02-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I believe that wearing mask properly will decrease the chance of the spread. It's not going to protect me. But it will protect others if I'm an asymptomatic spreader.

Look the jig is up. We all know this recommendation is based on saving resources for the health professionals. Even if mask is ineffective but if it reduce the spread by 10%, I don't see why we shouldn't mandate it.

IMO, if we can't test everyone for COVID, we should fired up mask factory right now and start mandating mandatory mask.
    I think you're missing the point. The improper use actually increases people's risk, as does whatever level of false security that the person might be feeling as a result of their "PPE". The overwhelming majority of people are either using improper PPE or have no clue how to use it. For example maybe someone uses a mask perfectly, but doesn't know how to take it off properly, therefore transmitting the virus to their hands/face which they otherwise would not have done if they had no mask at all. Same deal with gloves - from what I have seen, people seem to think that wearing gloves makes it so that they can touch their face and other people safely, which maybe they wouldn't do if they weren't wearing gloves at all.

So far everyone I've seen with masks is constantly adjusting them, touching their face, etc. because they just don't have a clue. With no mask, they would have probably touched their face a lot less or not at all.

Yes, as I already mentioned, if you're sick a mask will be better than no mask provided you know how to use it. PPE is great if used properly, the issue is that nobody seems to be and in such a way that is actually increasing the risk to them and those around them.

Currently this is a major issue in hospitals because they have all these idiots coming in with their ineffective PPE, refusing to take it off or refusing put on a new/proper mask when they enter the hospital. It's to the point now where they have dedicated staff sitting at the door just for this reason.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-02-2020 at 05:03 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

oh dear. I let Xtrema handle this thread. I am too busy getting my self-esteem bashed in the other one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

I think you're missing the point. The improper use actually increases people's risk, as does whatever level of false security that the person might be feeling as a result of their "PPE". The overwhelming majority of people are either using improper PPE or have no clue how to use it. For example maybe someone uses a mask perfectly, but doesn't know how to take it off properly, therefore transmitting the virus to their hands/face which they otherwise would not have done if they had no mask at all. Same deal with gloves - from what I have seen, people seem to think that wearing gloves makes it so that they can touch their face and other people safely, which maybe they wouldn't do if they weren't wearing gloves at all.

So far everyone I've seen with masks is constantly adjusting them, touching their face, etc. because they just don't have a clue. With no mask, they would have probably touched their face a lot less or not at all.

Yes, as I already mentioned, if you're sick a mask will be better than no mask provided you know how to use it. PPE is great if used properly, the issue is that nobody seems to be and in such a way that is actually increasing the risk to them and those around them.

Currently this is a major issue in hospitals because they have all these idiots coming in with their ineffective PPE, refusing to take it off or refusing put on a new/proper mask when they enter the hospital. It's to the point now where they have dedicated staff sitting at the door just for this reason.
    wearing them properly or not, don't you see the countries doing well flattening the curves and countries with high masks usage in the public are overlapping? Maybe coincident????

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by muse017 View Post
    wearing them properly or not, don't you see the countries doing well flattening the curves and countries with high masks usage in the public are overlapping? Maybe coincident????
    Countries such as: China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Czech Republic, now Austria. Beginner's luck, my grandpa always said.

If everyone wore a covering then it would certainly help reduce spread. Not necessarily to prevent yourself from getting it.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Wtf mitsu, can you do a TLDR FFS. Jesus Christ.

this.

The funny thing is i think a lot of people would actually understand and cooperate if they just straight up said "masks help, but please don't stock up on them as our health professionals need them more than general public".

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    this.

The funny thing is i think a lot of people would actually understand and cooperate if they just straight up said "masks help, but please don't stock up on them as our health professionals need them more than general public".
    Yeah, because people are totally rational. I mean, it's not like they went out and hoarded toilet paper for no reason, right? And it's not like the US is starting to buy our mask orders out from under us either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Yeah, because people are totally rational. I mean, it's not like they went out and hoarded toilet paper for no reason, right? And it's not like the US is starting to buy our mask orders out from under us either.
    I irrationally have too much faith in humanity. You're probably right, people would hoard more.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

You’re back! I assumed you had been hospitalized with an ironic case of covid.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I irrationally have too much faith in humanity. You're probably right, people would hoard more.
    People did hoard in Vancouver. There was a photo of a couple of guys cleaning out Home Depot of N95s.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Countries such as: China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Czech Republic, now Austria. Beginner's luck, my grandpa always said.
    More like the lessons learned from history(MERS, SARS etc) Don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    People did hoard in Vancouver. There was a photo of a couple of guys cleaning out Home Depot of N95s.
    Well I know people hoarded. But my initial point was that if the message was “they work, but plz don’t hoard because we need them for front line medical people” vs “don’t hoard, they don’t do anything at all and u are wasting your time and doing more damage” (a la CDC/WHO guidance) then maybe people would have been more understanding and actually listened, resulting in less hoarding.

As tiktok pointed out, not realistic.

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/asia/...hnk/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Wtf mitsu, can you do a TLDR FFS. Jesus Christ.
    His position has not changed and align to current government guideline.

The 1st break I saw was last week when CBC's health reporter said he is "toeing the line" saying mask is not recommended. Then all over the weekend, the tone slowly changes from all over the world.

I think that Asian Boss video from Korea finally broke the no mask stance. And that may have led to Trump outbidding shipments that are supposed to come to us and France and sending them to states that supports him in Oct.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-02-2020 at 09:27 PM.

My Ride

Those dang Asians always so smart. If I had to pick someone to copy off of in an exam...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast