I'm kinda thinking of building up a hardcore hardtail and am thinking of a build like this:

GX Eagle groups, sans crank which I'm cool with an NX crank, and maybe even cassette/chain

I do think that SLX brakes like the 7100 series is what I'd do as well... cheaper than code but better than most Levels, going with a 203/180

Manic x-fusion dropper seems to be the best value and least problematic... to the point that even Specialized seems to be using it on their line over their own command post

Fork: this is the debate... for my riding I really dig Fox 34, but a 36 may be necessary. A Pike is excellent and I've heard the Z2 may even be a level up for cheaper (at least for my weight)

Watching more and more of Hardtail Party - its seemingly like anything more than a 130 on a Hardtail may be too much travel... as the progression and length of a 150 will result in HTA getting steep too often. I dunno.. but the science makes sense

With mixed components, the only problem would be the cockpit not being as nice as a "match maker" setup from SRAM (i.e. Reverb 1x remote, Code brakes, GX shifter)

What components would you guys go with these days? I believe Shimano is fighting hard with Deore and SLX, but I feel they haven't quite level'd up to SRAM - leaving you with that upgradeitus