Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Pffft...not even enough to get a Mac Pro + Pro Display XDR + Pro Stand. He better ramp up the BJs to fund that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

This is home machine, so web surfing and gaming. But I think what he doesnt take in PC in trade is just lost, so he wants to maximize the benefit.

For me, I'm a solid performance at moderate cost guy. SA so I'll traditionally spend $500-600 on a video card every 2-3 years and 1000 on CPU/MOBO/hard drive the opposing years to stay current. I've played with the mem ex system configurator a bit but even taking the 3950x, 128GB of RAM, a 3090 and 3 Samsung 980s, I think im in the 7k range.

This doesn't include a water loop on anything, just a kraken AIO, so that could easily add a few grand with some high end blocks and loop componetns, but I dont think Mem Ex really carries that stuff.
    Last edited by colsankey; 12-23-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    This is home machine, so web surfing and gaming. But I think what he doesnt take in PC in trade is just lost, so he wants to maximize the benefit.

For me, I'm a solid performance at moderate cost guy. SA so I'll traditionally spend $500-600 on a video card every 2-3 years and 1000 on CPU/MOBO/hard drive the opposing years to stay current. I've played with the mem ex system configurator a bit but even taking the 3950x, 128GB of RAM, a 3090 and 3 Samsung 980s, I think im in the 7k range.

This doesn't include a water loop on anything, just a kraken AIO, so that could easily add a few grand with some high end blocks and loop componetns, but I dont think Mem Ex really carries that stuff.
    In that case, if he's just trying to maximize the value of his benefit, he should buy whatever 'normal' PC he needs plus as many Nvidia 3000 series GPUs he can find and just flip them on Kijiji. Then he gets the PC he needs/wants plus cash for the balance rather than wasting it all on installed PC parts he will never use. No point in installing a bunch of redundant hardware IMO.

My Ride
    Silverado

Definitely two video cards and part one out. As much ram and hard drives as possible and part those out. Same with displays

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I agree, but its been about 2 years since I built myself a PC as well, so other than the newest nvidia cards that I'm well read on, I'm behind on whats the bestest MOBO and Ryzen rig these days. And I still want to recommend a really solid PC for him to enjoy.

Will definitely add a 4k monitor

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    I agree, but its been about 2 years since I built myself a PC as well, so other than the newest nvidia cards that I'm well read on, I'm behind on whats the bestest MOBO and Ryzen rig these days. And I still want to recommend a really solid PC for him to enjoy.

Will definitely add a 4k monitor
    I would buy this plus as many GPUs as he can find to flip (keeping one 3080 or 3090 for himself). Add more hard drives if needed but max capacity on 980 Pro's right now is only 1TB.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YgpXVc

If he's willing to take a bit of loss, he could buy any semi-desirable PC part and monetize it if GPUs are too hard to find. RAM, big PSUs, and Ryzen 5000 CPUs would be the next place to look. Any AMD 6000 series GPUs too but those are even more rare.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

10k is pretty easy to spend if you include peripherals with just doing everything as high end but without needlessly wasting money.

This is 10.5k build and is close to a setup run by some online streamers that game for a living. Overkill with two of the monitor, would buy a cheaper one for the secondary monitor but if you get into the custom mice and keyboards the price would even out. Didn't add liquid cooling to the GPU as MemEx has shit for selection. Dual HDDs to run as raid for loss prevention but with how cheap cloud storage is nowadays probably could drop to 1 of each.

My Ride
    rally pig

how hot are 3090, there were lots at memex, like 10+

My Ride

So hot.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What 3.5" drives do you guys use for primary storage (not NAS or backup)? I've used WD Black drives for years with zero issue, but I have 4TB drives now and would like to get 8 or 10TB if I see some sales. I noticed WD has Gold and Ultrastar. Is there really any difference in speed or reliability between those and say an IronWolf Pro?
    Last edited by msommers; 12-23-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

They've all been pretty good to me. HGST (now WD) seems to be the best if we are nitpicking.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

After installing the new video card, my second monitor can't run on its native resolution because it only does 1920x1280 @ 60hz over HDMI.

I am looking at 1440p 27" 165hz options but none seem to be in stock in Calgary (most options are full price at the moment). Is there anything local that has stock on anything decent? I've been looking at the MSI MAG274QRF-QD, Dell S2721DGF and the ASUS XG27AQ (came across this new monitor tonight).

Anything else that I should be looking at?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    What 3.5" drives do you guys use for primary storage (not NAS or backup)? I've used WD Black drives for years with zero issue, but I have 4TB drives now and would like to get 8 or 10TB if I see some sales. I noticed WD has Gold and Ultrastar. Is there really any difference in speed or reliability between those and say an IronWolf Pro?
    WD 14tb ultrastars are on sale ATM if you wanna shuck the drive

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/14tb...59-99-2429597/

My Ride

That's cheap.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    WD 14tb ultrastars are on sale ATM if you wanna shuck the drive

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/14tb...59-99-2429597/
    Nice, I will grab one of these for a physical backup locally. I've read a couple of posts on Reddit that seem to suggest these external drives are limited to 5400rpm vs. the standard 7200rpm. Either they didn't meet spec and/or are firmware limited.

I didn't get the Seagate deal before but this is a stellar deal that'll I'll hop on. Thanks!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Anyone want to buy this and save me a trip to best buy to return it?

$797.99 taxes/fee all in

32 inch G7 was just delivered to me

Name:  CB4CEF6D-926D-436E-9549-8F0AD15561CA.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  17443A7B-061F-49F9-98ED-1770D6F882AE.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  42.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    All the $199 (on sale) Seagate external drive variants have ~$500 10TB Helium filled PMR 7200 RPM drives in them, either a Barracuda Pro, Ironwof Pro, or Exos. All very high end drives. I have a few of these, they are all Barracuda pros but more people are finding Exos enterprise drives in them now which is arguably even better.

The 14TB WD drive posted is also a good deal, most of them seem to have Ultrastar's inside which is also a good drive. I believe they are slowed to 5400RPM for external use but I am not 100% on that.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    After installing the new video card, my second monitor can't run on its native resolution because it only does 1920x1280 @ 60hz over HDMI.

I am looking at 1440p 27" 165hz options but none seem to be in stock in Calgary (most options are full price at the moment). Is there anything local that has stock on anything decent? I've been looking at the MSI MAG274QRF-QD, Dell S2721DGF and the ASUS XG27AQ (came across this new monitor tonight).

Anything else that I should be looking at?
    I was considering a new 27" 1440p monitor around $500. My top 2 choices were the Dell S2721DGF and the ASUS TUF VG27AQ. The Dell is on sale right now. https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/6y27

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    I was considering a new 27" 1440p monitor around $500. My top 2 choices were the Dell S2721DGF and the ASUS TUF VG27AQ. The Dell is on sale right now. https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/6y27
    I have the TUF VG27AQ, it's been great for the ~6 months or so that I've had it. Still #1 on Rtings last time I checked as well.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

One thing I noticed while monitor shopping is manufacturers don't like to tell you the input lag - most customers just look at the response time and buy based on that, but input lag matters a lot and the VG27AQ does really well in that department. It was on sale for $499 not long ago but I think that's over.

Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast