Quantcast
Anyone travel to Mexico recently? - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone travel to Mexico recently?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Oddly enough I’ve probably been on 10-15 sunwing flights to Mexico and only had 1 issue which was a 3 hour delay. Not a bad track record.

When we flew from Kelowna to Calgary over the Christmas holidays, our poor person airline Flair, was the only one that didn’t get cancelled and we made it back to Calgary while all other lines jerked their customers around for days.

I’m not saying the cheap airlines are great because they are all absolute shit here. I just always buy the cheapest one and hope for the best because I guess I’m a cheap ass!

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not saying the cheap airlines are great because they are all absolute shit here. I just always buy the cheapest one and hope for the best because I guess I’m a cheap ass!
    Becoming a more common mentality and not just for cheap asses - mostly looking from the angle of "well I'm gonna be treated like shit anyway, so why pay more for it?"

I agree to an extent

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Oddly enough I’ve probably been on 10-15 sunwing flights to Mexico and only had 1 issue which was a 3 hour delay. Not a bad track record.

When we flew from Kelowna to Calgary over the Christmas holidays, our poor person airline Flair, was the only one that didn’t get cancelled and we made it back to Calgary while all other lines jerked their customers around for days.

For me it's much less about the fact that shit happens. Because shit happens with every airline. With Sunwing it's more about how they handle it when shit does inevitably happen. When we got delayed for 3 hours leaving Cancun years ago, they gave us a 50$ food voucher. But then we got delayed again at 9pm, when everything in that airport closes. We were delayed until 5am. There is no water to drink anywhere, no food, parents with young kids that have run out of diapers, people who are smokers that are trapped inside and can't smoke. If they weren't going to send everyone back to a resort or hotel or whatever, the least they could do is have some airport rep bring in some bottled water, and usher people out to smoke and whatnot.

I was finally able to negotiate all these terms with the supposed Sunwing rep that finally showed up at 1am. But the passengers certainly didn't help at all, everyone was devolved into blathering idiots that just wanted to yell at the rep about how they would never fly Sunwing again. All said and done when we finally got out of there the next morning, they handed us a 75$ travel voucher with a one year expiry date.

I feel like WJ would've had us on another flight pretty quickly, or put us back to a hotel for the time being.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    Clearing your cookies in between each search or using incognito mode I hope!
    I feel like I'm missing something here. No I don't do that. Edit: I did do it and it's now 200 more pp lol. But what's the point of doing it?
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 12-31-2022 at 10:02 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    For me it's much less about the fact that shit happens. Because shit happens with every airline. With Sunwing it's more about how they handle it when shit does inevitably happen. When we got delayed for 3 hours leaving Cancun years ago, they gave us a 50$ food voucher. But then we got delayed again at 9pm, when everything in that airport closes. We were delayed until 5am. There is no water to drink anywhere, no food, parents with young kids that have run out of diapers, people who are smokers that are trapped inside and can't smoke. If they weren't going to send everyone back to a resort or hotel or whatever, the least they could do is have some airport rep bring in some bottled water, and usher people out to smoke and whatnot.

I was finally able to negotiate all these terms with the supposed Sunwing rep that finally showed up at 1am. But the passengers certainly didn't help at all, everyone was devolved into blathering idiots that just wanted to yell at the rep about how they would never fly Sunwing again. All said and done when we finally got out of there the next morning, they handed us a 75$ travel voucher with a one year expiry date.

I feel like WJ would've had us on another flight pretty quickly, or put us back to a hotel for the time being.
    tl;dr - things went exactly as expected when going to a third world country with a cut rate travel company

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something here. No I don't do that. Edit: I did do it and it's now 200 more pp lol. But what's the point of doing it?
    There's an old boomer conspiracy floating around that the internet tracks what you're looking for, and then slowly starts raising the price every time you come back.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

There's an old boomer conspiracy floating around that the internet tracks what you're looking for, and then slowly starts raising the price every time you come back.
    That’s false. Boomers don’t internet.

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    tl;dr - things went exactly as expected when going to a third world country with a cut rate travel company
    No, not at all. What do you mean "cut rate"? Sunwing is normally about the same price as every other carrier.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

lol it’s now controversial to call sunwing cut rate now?

I thought that was well established.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you fly sunwing (from Calgary) and don't pay a cut rate fare, you are going on my ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    lol it’s now controversial to call sunwing cut rate now?

I thought that was well established.

No. I was looking for clarification on what "Cut rate" means? They obviously operate as cheaply as they can, but their fares don't seem to be cut rate under normal circumstances. I've definitely never booked a Sunwing trip outside of this years, due to it's pricing. Or do people consider a 50$ price difference to be cut rate?
    Last edited by Misterman; 12-31-2022 at 04:35 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sunwing is cheap and you get crap. There is my definition.

Yea it’s a race to the bottom with everyone in a very competitive market so it’s not like you can expect quarter price vacations. That doesn’t mean they aren’t cut rate.

Sunwing knows who they are. It’s their customers who are deluded.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

The last time I went to mexico was like 2009, and we went with sunwing. They had little crt tvs above every third or fourth row like most airlines had back in 1995. It was hilariously bad. That’s my only point of reference, and I’ve made an (apparently accurate) assumption that not much has changed.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    The last time I went to mexico was like 2009, and we went with sunwing. They had little crt tvs above every third or fourth row like most airlines had back in 1995. It was hilariously bad. That’s my only point of reference, and I’ve made an (apparently accurate) assumption that not much has changed.
    Ya well now they're better. You have ti download your own Netflix movies, so there!

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    We’re there now. WestJet flight on the 24th zero issues, aside from someone’s evil spawn coughing on me at the airport and giving me the plague (cold not Covid. I hope….) Coming back on the 31st, fingers crossed.
    Made it back last night. Arrived alongside 3 flights from Mexico. No issues with luggage, was actually smoother than the L.A. trip in Aug.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

We flew WestJet right before Xmas , hour delay leaving Calgary , 2.5 hrs to get our bags in Cancun …

We were 20 mins from the Cancun airport and it took three hours to get to the air port … then 6 hr delay from WestJet on the way back …

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    We flew WestJet right before Xmas , hour delay leaving Calgary , 2.5 hrs to get our bags in Cancun …

We were 20 mins from the Cancun airport and it took three hours to get to the air port … then 6 hr delay from WestJet on the way back …
    Was the delay getting to the airport due to the road construction? I've heard there is construction somewhere that's been randomly delaying travel times for certain people.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Was the delay getting to the airport due to the road construction? I've heard there is construction somewhere that's been randomly delaying travel times for certain people.
    Yes the over pass that leads to the airport is being twined plus the main highway is expanding in that area. Total shit show, if going to Cancun plan your trip back to the airport accordingly. Good thing the plane was delayed cause we would have missed the flight with the traffic … lol

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Getting spicy in Mexico around the western resorts. Shelter in place!

Pew pew.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

We flew sunwing to cancun Dec 20 and returned the 27th. No delays leaving but we had a 5-6 hour delay coming home.

We flew home on a different carrier (larger plane cant remember the carrier) 3/3/3 which was probably just over 3/4 full.

Got lucky but worked out fine for us.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast