Quantcast
questions on G35 Bushing replacement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: questions on G35 Bushing replacement

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Default questions on G35 Bushing replacement

Quick newbie question, what is the rule of thumb for bushing replacement? (especially for an old car that is approaching 200K? )

1) Do you "only" replace the broken one with an upgraded version? or do you do a complete overhaul for every bushing to save the headache down the road.
    2) Is DIY possible without the hydraulic press? and if not what does the average shop charge for a complete bushing over haul?

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by KLCC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quick newbie question, what is the rule of thumb for bushing replacement? (especially for an old car that is approaching 200K? )

1) Do you "only" replace the broken one with an upgraded version? or do you do a complete overhaul for every bushing to save the headache down the road.
    2) Is DIY possible without the hydraulic press? and if not what does the average shop charge for a complete bushing over haul?
    Change whats needed, unless customer wants to go all out. some bushings are able to be done without hydraulic press. price depends on vehicle

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Depending on your intentions with the older car you can also buy new suspension arms with the bushings installed. Might be more parts cost but it will definitely save on labour. Pressing out bushings sucks.

My Ride
    *The First*

Don't forget to tighten everything down with the bushings in the neutral stress position, or you'll be doing the whole job again in a month.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

+1 for buying control arms w/ pre-installed bushings whenever possible. Makes DIY much easier.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    E46

By upgraded, do you mean polyurethane bushings? I would stick to the factory bushings unless this is a track car.

G35's have mostly cast control arms, you are going to need a hydraulic press, a bunch of drivers and receivers, and some knowledge on how to press without damaging things or yourself.

Buying new arms is going to be the easiest way. I'm going to assume the mounting bolts are seized into the bushings and the bolts cannot be removed so the arm will be stuck in the sub frame and has to be cut out with a Sawzall. It is super easy to accidentally cut brake, fuel lines, wiring harness doing this, so be careful.

Usually you replace only what is needed. A few months ago I replaced all rear suspension bushings on a vehicle. It took me 10 hours. So not cheap.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

+1 for new control arms with the bushings pre-installed. And only replace what's broken.

You're going to be in for a fight anyway with the bolts underneath.

My Ride
    *The First*

+1 for polyurethane also being a bad call.

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

great advice for those who chimed in.

I will only replace what's broken instead, I'll probably looking for an upgrade with the bushing pre-installed to save me the hassle, and time.

Just curious why polyurethane is not advised compare to stock rubber? is it because of environmental? or just because it makes the ride harsh?

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    *The First*

I will only replace what's broken instead, I'll probably looking for an upgrade with the bushing pre-installed to save me the hassle, and time.

Just curious why polyurethane is not advised compare to stock rubber? is it because of environmental? or just because it makes the ride harsh?
    Way more NVH and possibly squeaky nonsense that's terrible in a daily driven car and doesn't matter at all in a track car.
    I think of it as a track upgrade, only. Similar reason to never run track brake pads on a street car.

My Ride
    E46

Having some flex and give in bushings is a good thing. It helps isolate vibrations, bumps, and noise. Polyurethane has no give to it, you will feel every crack in the road. It makes the car just harsh. They squeak, you have to lube them every few years. Most regret installing them.

One of the worst things you can ever do to a vehicle is polyurethane engine mounts.