Quantcast
Short Term Disability. Am I Still Employed? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Short Term Disability. Am I Still Employed?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Hey gaiz,

So I went to HR and said hey its my 10 years, 4 weeks vacay blah blah, they said they follow the Alberta Labour Code for vacation time and its a maximum of 3 weeks for 10 years of employment. I was like da fuq? Mandela effect?

So I go on the Alberta Labour board website and theres no mention of 4 weeks. Am I crazy? Or was the Labour Code updated recently? I swear I remember seeing a 4 weeks thing?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Has wheels

http://https://www.canada.ca/en/serv...-holidays.html

Annual vacation entitlement
    As an employee working for a federally regulated employer, you are entitled to at least:

2 weeks of vacation annually after you have completed 1 year of employment with the same employer
    3 weeks of vacation annually after you have completed 5 consecutive years of employment with the same employer, and
    4 weeks of vacation annually after you have completed 10 consecutive years of employment with the same employer
    Your employer may pay you vacation pay within 14 days before your vacation is set to begin. If this is not practical or it is the established practice in your workplace, your employer may also pay it during or immediately following your vacation.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I don’t think dealerships fall under federal…

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t think dealerships fall under federal…
    Should've grabbed this one initially, looks like 3 weeks is max that is laid out.

https://www.alberta.ca/vacation-pay
    Length of employment Number of weeks' annual vacation time % of wages
    Less than 1 year Not entitled unless stated in contract 4% of wages
    1 to 4 years 2 weeks 4% of yearly wages
    5 years or more 3 weeks 6% of yearly wages

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Hey gaiz,

So I went to HR and said hey its my 10 years, 4 weeks vacay blah blah, they said they follow the Alberta Labour Code for vacation time and its a maximum of 3 weeks for 10 years of employment. I was like da fuq? Mandela effect?

So I go on the Alberta Labour board website and theres no mention of 4 weeks. Am I crazy? Or was the Labour Code updated recently? I swear I remember seeing a 4 weeks thing?
    https://www.alberta.ca/vacation-pay

Your HR isn't wrong, just not generous.

3/4/5 weeks vacay for 1/6/11 is a very Calgary O&G thing, not the law.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I once had 4 weeks, was allowed to buy 2, and had 12 flex. Plus the comp was wicked. Damn I miss that country club.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea you never want your employment to be dictated by the law.

The better approach would have been, hey HR ive been here for 10 years can we talk about upping my vacation allotment?

The “I’m entitled to this gimme” approach has the tendency to get people’s backs up.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree, If you aren't union, the law is a terrible reference.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

The better approach would have been, hey HR ive been here for 10 years can we talk about upping my vacation allotment?

The “I’m entitled to this gimme” approach has the tendency to get people’s backs up.
    All depends on the industry and demand for talent. That discussion is either pretty easy, or you'll get the same "kick rocks" response.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Whats your employment contract say?

My Ride

You've probably never worked in the auto/dealership industry before. They do whatever is the minimum required by law. Stay after work for mandatory meetings? No we won't pay you but we'll give you a pizza party. But you can only have 2 slices each.

Whats funny is, my coworker who has been here longer. His vacation is grandfathered, because we had a different parent company before, Go Auto, and then we were sold and now we're run by a different company, which is the same family that owns Go Auto but a different brother. Sibling rivalry. But at Go Auto 10 years of service nets you 5 weeks vacay. They start you out at 3 weeks vacay the first year your employed. I shouldnt have left Go Auto but I chased the money as all do in dealership industry.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    V8s

So, you knowingly traded vacay time for a better paycheck, and now want better vacay to go along with the better paycheck?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    So, you knowingly traded vacay time for a better paycheck, and now want better vacay to go along with the better paycheck?
    When I joined the competing company, I thought they had the same vacation structure, figured industry standard. But oh wells, I'll just take a week off un-paid or a week off of paid sick days I've never used over the years. 2 brothers, both powerhouses but different perks. Go figure.

Lol

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You've probably never worked in the auto/dealership industry before.
    You caught me
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E46

You've probably never worked in the auto/dealership industry before. They do whatever is the minimum required by law. Stay after work for mandatory meetings? No we won't pay you but we'll give you a pizza party. But you can only have 2 slices each.

Whats funny is, my coworker who has been here longer. His vacation is grandfathered, because we had a different parent company before, Go Auto, and then we were sold and now we're run by a different company, which is the same family that owns Go Auto but a different brother. Sibling rivalry. But at Go Auto 10 years of service nets you 5 weeks vacay. They start you out at 3 weeks vacay the first year your employed. I shouldnt have left Go Auto but I chased the money as all do in dealership industry.
    Have you talked to your boss about this? Sit down in his/her office and tell them what you want. Throwing a week or two of holiday pay at someone is so much easier than trying to replace someone with over a decade of experience. Or, find the most desperate dealer you can. Go for an interview and tell them you want 4 weeks holiday, get it in writing. Tell your boss to match it or you walk.

You can only be bribed with pizza if you let them.

I had the absolute worst interview I have ever had at a Go Auto dealer. The service manager was an absolute mess.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Flexray View Post
    Or, find the most desperate dealer you can. Go for an interview and tell them you want 4 weeks holiday, get it in writing. Tell your boss to match it or you walk.
    This is a scummy move unless you would actually quit and move to the desperate dealer.

This is a scummy move unless you would actually quit and move to the desperate dealer.
    If you pull this move, you have to ALWAYS be ready to walk. Its 50/50 that the current employer matches.

When i think i deserve more of anything, i walk into my bosses office, explain why I am adding more value than expected and what that means to me in the form of compensation and thats that. If he agree's, he makes it happen. If he doesn't, then i work harder or quit.

My Ride
    E46

I do agree that it is scummy. Personally, I would tell my boss what I want. If it was denied I would quit and get a better job. If my employer cannot see my value, I will find one that does. Most dealerships are ran by scumbags so you have to speak their language. Coming from the technician side of things. A lot of techs talk shit but don't actually follow through. Having another written offer on the table shows you mean business.

If one of my employees came to me with a written agreement from another company as a way to negotiate with me I would wish them well with their new endeavour.

If you want to have a grown up and mature conversation as to why you deserve additional comp then I am all ears. But bring data to support your stance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast