Quantcast
To All Those Who Have Sold A Car *IMPORTANT* - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To All Those Who Have Sold A Car *IMPORTANT*

My Ride
    335i

Default To All Those Who Have Sold A Car *IMPORTANT*

I am wondering, when putting "AS IS, WHERE IS" on a bill of sale, is the previous owner responsible for any of the defects on a sold car found by the new owner?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

old owner is not responsible for anything.

My Ride
    Skateboard

It is up to the buyer to have the car inspected by a good mechanic.

My Ride
    335i

It was sold around June (in good condition), then at the end of July I got a letter stating that "several repairs were done, and enclosed is a receipt of the total repairs. I would ask that you split the costs etc". So I laughed it off, now I receive another letter claiming that, as a seller, I had to warranty his car for 10 days after the sale as required by law. I was like WTF? Since when. No worries, Alberta has no law of the kind.

Felon or Mistermeiner

Tell the guy's that he's on his own. TS for him. Or if he really thinks he's right get him to find that "required by law" crap and prove you wrong.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    BMW 540it

Tough beans. Unless they slipped something new into the law, which I would love to see too. I think that he is on his own.

My Ride
    BMW

"AS IS, WHERE IS" is a very important line. I think that guy never gave it a second thought. Poeple are like that.. they assume things. But when things go to shit, they complain...

Tell the guy to bring the Bill Of Sale to a lawyer and he'll learn what the real meaning of "as is, where is" means. It basically means TOUGH SHIT to the buyer. Even if it breaks down while pulling out of your driveway, as long as it was signed (and witnesses too).
    Good luck, dude! All the power to ya!

My Ride
    NC1

Caveat Emptor!

As is means exactly that, no implied or expressed warranty of any kind
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

"as is, where is" does not mean what everybody thinks it means anymore. Check AMVIC's website. The seller is RESPONSIBLE! ( for certian things )
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by legendboy
    "as is, where is" does not mean what everybody thinks it means anymore. Check AMVIC's website. The seller is RESPONSIBLE! ( for certian things )
    Interesting, maybe its a way to protect buyers who don't know anything? Is it possible to blame the mechanic who inspected the car?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    O.P.P.

It might be possible that the new owner can file a law suit and take you to small claims court for half (or the whole) amount of the repairs, although I've never been through this situation personally.

My Ride
    335i

Legendboy: Please provide a link or explain further. To my knowledge the vehicle was in good running condition. In all honestly, it did have a few things that needed repair (ie a new radio, one door's power door lock mechanism wasn't right), but this is not what he is claiming. He is claiming substantial repairs.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Godzilla.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    It was sold around June (in good condition), then at the end of July I got a letter stating that "several repairs were done, and enclosed is a receipt of the total repairs. I would ask that you split the costs etc". So I laughed it off, now I receive another letter claiming that, as a seller, I had to warranty his car for 10 days after the sale as required by law. I was like WTF? Since when. No worries, Alberta has no law of the kind.
    There is a law about right of first refusal, something like that..
    It states that you as the seller have first opertunity to look these damages or have them looked at by one of your mechanics, or
    their claim is not probable and you are not responsable for it..

Check in to it, I don't know the full details but we use it at my work. Plus it has been way to long for him to reply back about the matter..

Hope this helps....

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

your talking about buyers beware, that no longer applies in canada or alberta. basicaly if someone tries to defraud someone by giving a false vehicle history, covering up problems just to sell the vehicle, giving false vehicle discription ..etc.... the seller is liable. If the car you bought falls apart days or weeks after you buy it the seller can be liable to "make a proper deal" with you. that could mean that you get money back or it could mean that you get all your money back and give the car back. the one thing that you as a buyer have to do is get the car inspected by a dealer (of the make of car) and then you have a case if the car has problems shortly after you buy it.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Originally posted by max_boost
    Caveat Emptor!

As is means exactly that, no implied or expressed warranty of any kind
    Hrmm, sounds familiar. Hahah, *yawn*
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    Godzilla.

Originally posted by legendboy
    your talking about buyers beware, that no longer applies in canada or alberta. basicaly if someone tries to defraud someone by giving a false vehicle history, covering up problems just to sell the vehicle, giving false vehicle discription ..etc.... the seller is liable. If the car you bought falls apart days or weeks after you buy it the seller can be liable to "make a proper deal" with you. that could mean that you get money back or it could mean that you get all your money back and give the car back. the one thing that you as a buyer have to do is get the car inspected by a dealer (of the make of car) and then you have a case if the car has problems shortly after you buy it.
    Even on private sale????

It's not the buyer's beware law, you have the right to get a first and second opinion because you are claimed at fault, all mechanic,lub, oil,etc... shops have the right to this law..
    Last edited by LaughingTiger; 10-08-2002 at 05:50 PM.

My Ride
    335i

Well he didn't take the car for inspection before he bought it, not to any dealer for sure. Does it still apply?

Felon or Mistermeiner

As long as you didn't know about it, and he can't proove that you did don't worry about a thing. If he can proove that you did know about it and he takes you to court, you could be out the full price of the car. I am speaking from first hand experience here...
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    Honda

i don't think Weapon_R needs to worry.
    you guys all know about that used car lot in downtown. they sell absolute crap. they openly tell you that the second you drive off the lot, if the car stops driving or falls apart, tough luck.

the worst thing these people can do is call CFCN's consumer watch and complain

My Ride
    335i

I'm not too worried - I mean, its been with him for about 4 months now - he could have gone through 2 engines by now so I am thinking that is his problem. I am worried about his "10 day warranty under law" that he claims - although I don't think that he has records of repairs within those 10 days.

Felon or Mistermeiner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast