Quantcast
possible newbie solution - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: possible newbie solution

Default possible newbie solution

i found this on another forum and i think that we should have this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    2004 BMW 745Li,2003 Acura MDX,1998 BMW 325IS

lol..
    not a bad idea....
    even though it implies to me too..
    lolz

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Its a good idea but ive noticed that in alot of cases newbies don't know what a sticky is and that it holds important information therefore they never read them. Haha some newbies dont even know what the word newbie means
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Its a good idea but ive noticed that in alot of cases newbies don't know what a sticky is and that it holds important information therefore they never read them. Haha some newbies dont even know what the word newbie means

Yes, and I mean some of them are really innocent mistakes, but a few of them are very blatant, and I would think that noobs read other noob posts where the phrase

"use the search Noob"...or..."do a search noob"..or...the infamous..." "

And they STILL Dont learn really so...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Hybrid

problem with searches is that the newbs will inevitably bring threads back from the dead
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    DC4, CB750, CB360t

Originally posted by Strider
    problem with searches is that the newbs will inevitably bring threads back from the dead
    I was just about to say the same thing. It's good and bad in a sense but comoon sense should always be used. Why post something stupid in a year old and sometimes two tear old threads.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

if they dont see the big red search button at the top, they wont see a thread telling them to search

My Ride
    rsx-s

true true
    some newbie called me for a car i sold last september
    like what the hell??

My Ride
    90 DA9

on G2IC we have a "Forum Rules and FAQ" which says to read before posting. The mods just close any thread not following the rules. The number of stupid, repetitive questions has gone down substantially.

lam-boy Guest

yeah but then if he doesn't search everyone jumps at his throat like he did something wrong.

but when he does find something and brings something from the dead
    everyone again jumps at his throat.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by lam-boy

yeah but then if he doesn't search everyone jumps at his throat like he did something wrong.

but when he does find something and brings something from the dead
    everyone again jumps at his throat.
    seems the newbs will be persecuted either way...

didn't someone suggest that we lock threads older than 6 months or something so newbs can't bring them back from the dead? what ever happened to that idea?

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    i think that just proves their not geeks like us

Better off limiting newbs to 1-2 posts/day

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

very very smart idea, how many times do we see questions like, "what is the difference between a cat-back exhaust and an axel back?"

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

seems the newbs will be persecuted either way...

didn't someone suggest that we lock threads older than 6 months or something so newbs can't bring them back from the dead? what ever happened to that idea?
    Problem is, this forum is immense. I use search when I have a question, and have found a lot of useful detail. It is much more difficult to do a search for every picture I am intending to post. Especially if the picture is something really weird.
    Then some pompous "veteran" (whom himself has finally survived the hazing as a noob) will post one of those stupid smilies.
    Or worse yet, post a
    Why be an asshole, guys?

This is a Public Forum - and not the private cyberplayground of a select few. Or am I wrong?

I usually research the posts of the buffoons who have flamed me, and observe a direct correlation between the vitriole of their flaming and the moronic stupidity and irrelevance of their own past posts.
    Want to see an example?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I think it's been said before Beyond isn't really a public forum, most of the original members are all friends and Beyond was started for all of us to have somewhere to talk about cars online. The administrators have alot of time and money invested in this board so they can do whatever they want, ban whoever they want and set their own rules. When a join a new forum I realise that it is a private place and I understand that if I break their rules whatever rules they may be they have the ability to get rid of me at any time. You wont be a newbie forever Ducati, can't wait to see you bash newbies 6 months from now
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

Interesting argument, Redlyne - I can now understand that this forum was created by a group of enthusiasts in the Calgary area who all had interests in common. Your saying that by reading the rules of this forum we are agreeing to terms of "exclusive membership".
    While I have more respect for what you have to say than most who post here, I cannot agree that by inviting people off the internet to join provides you the sort of intellectual property rights that would cause this forum to be legally considered anything other than a"Public Domain" - by the very action of how you invite the "cyber-public" to read and agree to a standard form of rules and regulations and then post their little hearts out.

But I am not a lawyer. I do, however, have lawyers who work for me, and have studied intellectual property and privacy issues at excruciating length at UBC and the U of Toronto, as part of the "professional development" that I must endure in order to earn my living.

Still, I respect the point you made - this forum was created by a close-knit group of friends to facilitate their personal enjoyment.
    Now look what has happened - you have the Codpieces, and the cdub604's and the DJ Dickweeds of the web posting their banal shit.

Shoulda had it password encrypted.