Quantcast
Build Own Computer... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Build Own Computer...

Default Build Own Computer...

Are there any links to tutorials or something out there that are recent? (most tuts. I've been readin are using 32MB vid. cards and stuff, lol) Im totally new, never done it before, but wouldnt mind trying it..

vid cards haven't changed they still use the pci slot,, putting thigns in slots are easy.. .. the stuff you should be most worried about is where all the wires go ie) power wire, reset button, power button, lights etc...
    Curse you imageshack..

the most important thing is to use the special spacers on the motherboard, so as to not short circuit anything, all the lights amd buttons are easy to change
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

ok ok ok hold it right there!

First of all, as you have said you are completely new to this, I would strongly recommend against you putting together your own computer from scratch.

Even though, industry standards make almost every component compatible, picking the right parts and the right parts for you is not easy, especially to a newbie. It worries me that you mention video card and 32 MB together. That's so 2001.

I'm not saying it's hard to do but you can potentially damage components etc.

Building a good computer is like building a car. Of course, with enough money, you can build the faster computer. But you'll have to figure out what your computing needs are first.

Are you using your computer just for the usual web surfing, email, word processing, watching video? If so, then the middle of the stream budget computer will suffice.

But if you plan on playing the lastest and greatest PC games and want the best experience possible, then you can't settle for nothing less than the lastest and greatest. But that can be very costly.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    Noodle

uhhh, by the way, vid cards usually don't use PCI anymore, they are AGP, all other cards are PCI now, but yeah, video cards have changed. And yeah, you have to be careful when putting your computer together, if you static shock anything, you could damage it. Make sure you ground yourself before touching anything.

Oh yeah, you might want to check www.tomshardware.com they may have a tutorial on doing it

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

For many, the first choice for computer needs is to determine what brand of processor to buy. Because that dictates what kind of motherboards and most likely what kind of memory to buy.

AMD is generally more popular among gamers.

Intel is generally more popular with people who do a lot of encoding/decoding audio/video stuff.

Next to decide what kind of motherboard to buy. I would suggest going to computer sites and read up on various motherboard reviews and see which Mobo suits you. Some just comes barebones while some include ethernet adapters, sounds, graphics card etc. Stability and speed should also be a main concern. If you are looking to be more of a computer enthusiast, you should also consider it's overclocking potentials. Each type of processor generally has it's own kind of mobo, mixed usually doesn't work. IE AMD with intel mobo and vice versa.

If you aren't looking to do too many fancy things, a mobo with extra bundled should suit you quite well. However, enthusiasts like to buy things (ie network card, video/sound card) separate to ensure the best components.

Memory should be your next target. Picking good memory is difficult because there are many variables to it. Speed, stability, overclocking potentials. Using motherboard specifications, you can usually find the right type of memory. However, even with the right type of memory, there are number of features to consider. Features like ECC, ECC registered, CAS number etc etc.

Next you wanna consider is video and sound. What type of video card and audio capabilities do you want? Check out the link that I provided below to give you a general understanding. But fill free to ask me if you have anymore questions.

Things to consider are hard drive size, cd burner? dvd burner?

Value PC Buyer Guide

High End PC Buyer Guide

Extremely Gaming PC Guide

Check out FiringSquad's Hardware Reviews!

Also, read up on their "Choosing the right power supply" guide because the power supply is one of the most important part to your computer. A lot of people neglect it because it's never the star aspect of a computer. The power supply is like a car's fuel pump, you've gotta have enough juice for it to run properly.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

Default Re: Build Own Computer...

Originally posted by TalonVelocity
    Are there any links to tutorials or something out there that are recent? (most tuts. I've been readin are using 32MB vid. cards and stuff, lol) Im totally new, never done it before, but wouldnt mind trying it..
    If anything before stepping up to the plate and building a system from scratch for the first time, might I recommend buying a cheap old system PII or PIII and taking it apart and putting it all together again, this will give you familiarity with parts and also experience on how to put things together, and what is what exactly. Also cheaper than frying brand new parts.

SpecV: I mentioned 32MB to comment on how outdated the tutorial I was looking at was

First you have to tell us what kind of stuff you are going to be doing with this computer? Because if you're just using it to type & browse the net, then theres a totally different set of motherboard/cpu combinations that will be cost effective, as opposed to a mid range/semi-gaming rig that will be loaded with better components.

I suggest that you look at ASUS motherboards, as they constantly update their BIOS revisions for their boards. BIOS revisions are usually updated to allow for support of faster CPU's that come out.

Go with AMD for your CPU, because there is a whole range of motherboards that Athlon's can simply drop into, without having to worry about chipset compatibility like Intel. For AMD, the best chipset out there right now is the nForce2 chipset made by nVidia.
    Last edited by blinkme_210; 05-27-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Originally posted by Phats
    uhhh, by the way, vid cards usually don't use PCI anymore, they are AGP, all other cards are PCI now, but yeah, video cards have changed.
    oopss.. my bad. sorry ahah

My Ride
    Civic

I would go for P4......... less heat..... my damn AMD piss's me off!

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by TofuBoi
    I would go for P4......... less heat..... my damn AMD piss's me off!
    Less heat?? Maybe with the NorthwoodA/B/C cores.. you haven't tried a prescott core yet

If you are buying a 'killer rig' right now, i'd strongly suggest holding off for AT LEAST 1 month. Intel is transition to Socket 775 (or whatever the number is) and migrating to DDR2 and PCI Express. First of all, DDR1 is NOT COMPATIBLE with DDR2, and the new boards from what I've been told do not have an AGP port anymore so you will need to buy PCI Express based video cards. As I recall this is happening on June 25th-ish.

As of June 1st, AMD is also moving to a new Socket, 939 which is not compatible with existing parts. It will replace socket 940 and eventually Socket 754. Asus will be one of the first to have the boards, the Asus A8V Deluxe (it will be @ M.E. on <edit>JUNE</edit> 1st).

Edit: I was meaning to say JUNE 1st, NOT APRIL 1st!
    Last edited by hampstor; 05-29-2004 at 06:50 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by hampstor
    As of June 1st, AMD is also moving to a new Socket, 939 which is not compatible with existing parts. It will replace socket 940 and eventually Socket 754. Asus will be one of the first to have the boards, the Asus A8V Deluxe (it will be @ M.E. on April 1st).
    Is that date correct? It's going to take 10 months to get the new boards in from the release of the new processors? Any idea how much the Socket 939 chips will retail about? I've been reading about the Socket 754 chips and word seems to suggest that they should be good for just another year.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Is that date correct? It's going to take 10 months to get the new boards in from the release of the new processors? Any idea how much the Socket 939 chips will retail about? I've been reading about the Socket 754 chips and word seems to suggest that they should be good for just another year.
    My mistake, i was meaning to say June 1st not April 1st

frostyda9 Guest

Blah...building your own system isn't that hard, and I would recommend it. Be careful of static (ie don't build your comp on the carpet) and handle everything by the edges. Follow the directions in your mobo manual. KNOW YOUR BIOS and where to find stuff (ie. where to look when your USB keyboard isn't recognized at bootup or you get a floppy drive error during the POST). Don't go too crazy with the thermal compound. If you're careful and you double check your work, you will be ok.

My Ride
    It's Calgary ... I drive a truck

Talon Velocity:

Some of the others here have given some good general pointers. If you want specific help with your rig, I sent you an email with my email addy in it. I'll give you hand, even custom design the system for you. If you still need to buy the hardware I can give you a hand there with great prices.