Quantcast
Buying Used Wheels From USA..need info on GST/Duties etc - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying Used Wheels From USA..need info on GST/Duties etc

My Ride
    V167

Default Shipping Used Wheels From USA..need info

I found a nice set of wheels w/tires that I would like to purchase from somebody in the USA. The sale will be a PRIVATE sale (person-person...not buying from a shop) and they are USED.

The seller has already told me that the best price he can do is lets say $XXXX USD SHIPPED.

Since these wheels are USED, what will I end up paying on top of the already agreed upon price?

1) I know that I will have to pay a certain duty fee depending on weight etc...duty will depend on the shipping company right??

2) Will I have to pay GST on these wheels??? (this is my big concern) I have conflicting advice from people saying that you don't/do have to pay GST on used wheels shipped across the border....I'll probably try and find out for myself tomorrow for sure but for now if you know then plz post

3) What shipping company should I ask him to use?? (yes yes I know...try and stay away from UPS...but I've heard from people that when they bought the exact same wheel/tire setup (when purchased new) they only payed like $70cdn duties...which is not KILLER...but if there is anybody better then plz post)

4) Is there usually a HUGE price difference when comparing the price of shipping to Calgary to the price shipped to that holding house near the border??? I could possibly drive down to pick them up if there is a huge huge difference in price (ie: like more than the $30 gas it will cost me...)

Any info would be appreciated, I searched through all the shipping related threads already but didn't find much on purchasing used parts like wheels from the USA.

also, if there is NO special consideration for USED auto parts like wheels then plz just let me know....then its just like purchasing something new and I know about most of the charges associated with that

Thanks!

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

you should not have to pay gst, as long as they are marked used, and marked as a gift... your best bet would probably be to have them shipped via greyhound.

My Ride
    V167

They HAVE to be marked as a gift??? any reason why? I don't want these things to get seized at the border for some stupid reason...(like them thinking I am trying to run a scam)

Basically I just need to know about whether or not used goods get charged GST or not..

Thanks

My Ride
    Model S

yes used goods get charged gst, and haha, no chance of sneaking by my marking that one a gift...

you will be charged 7% of the value the shipper declares them for customs, new or used

maximum value for "gifts" is like $40, you have to give the customs people more credit than that, they know you arent going to be buying wheels for $40, so itll probably be a huge PITA if you try...

oh, and dont ship UPS!

Default Re: Shipping Used Wheels From USA..need info

Originally posted by nismodrifter

1) I know that I will have to pay a certain duty fee depending on weight etc...duty will depend on the shipping company right??
    Duty is not based on weight. Duty is based on the type of product it is, what it is made of, and where it is made.

2) Will I have to pay GST on these wheels??? (this is my big concern) I have conflicting advice from people saying that you don't/do have to pay GST on used wheels shipped across the border....I'll probably try and find out for myself tomorrow for sure but for now if you know then plz post
    Not sure about the GST on used goods but I think you do have to pay it still. For information on duty for used goods check this page:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/...13-10-1-e.html

3) What shipping company should I ask him to use?? (yes yes I know...try and stay away from UPS...but I've heard from people that when they bought the exact same wheel/tire setup (when purchased new) they only payed like $70cdn duties...which is not KILLER...but if there is anybody better then plz post)
    The duty charged is the same no matter what shipping company you use. It is the brokerage fee that is different between shipping companies. If you are going to have them shipped via Ground I suggest you use USPS/Canada Post since their brokerage fee is only $5.00 CAD. If they are being shipped via Air then I would suggest FedEx.

4) Is there usually a HUGE price difference when comparing the price of shipping to Calgary to the price shipped to that holding house near the border??? I could possibly drive down to pick them up if there is a huge huge difference in price (ie: like more than the $30 gas it will cost me...)
    I can't see you saving a whole lot of $$$ and this could be quite a hassle. Different shipping companies have different locations to clear goods so this would most likely not work out in your favor.

My Ride
    335i

There is a HUGE difference between shipping to calgary and getting it shipped to Montana and blowing $20 bucks on gas (gotta love diesel) and $40 for GST.

My personal experience:

My first set of wheels were some used Konigs that I bought from someone in the U.S. I had them shipped via USPS. They hit me with a ~$200 cdn fee in addition to the shipping fee and such.

I bought my second set of wheels about a year and a half ago. I got the name of a holding house in Montana and shipped them there. I had received an email receipt for payment, and printed it off and brought it with me. When I got to the border, I had to pay GST on the quoted receipt. I ended up paying around $50. Coupled with gas, it was less than half of what UPS charged me. Big difference. Also, I took a buddy with me, and it was a pretty fun trip. Took about 6 hours there and back, and we had lunch on the way and got to see a little bit of the towns you normally wouldn't get to see.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    There is a HUGE difference between shipping to calgary and getting it shipped to Montana and blowing $20 bucks on gas (gotta love diesel) and $40 for GST.

My personal experience:

My first set of wheels were some used Konigs that I bought from someone in the U.S. I had them shipped via USPS. They hit me with a ~$200 cdn fee in addition to the shipping fee and such.

I bought my second set of wheels about a year and a half ago. I got the name of a holding house in Montana and shipped them there. I had received an email receipt for payment, and printed it off and brought it with me. When I got to the border, I had to pay GST on the quoted receipt. I ended up paying around $50. Coupled with gas, it was less than half of what UPS charged me. Big difference. Also, I took a buddy with me, and it was a pretty fun trip. Took about 6 hours there and back, and we had lunch on the way and got to see a little bit of the towns you normally wouldn't get to see.
    I see what you mean. I guess I didn't really understand what he was asking/saying.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I just got $600 worth of car parts shipped from the states. I paid $11 for brokerage and taxes.

Just get the guy to mark the value really low (like under $100) and check the box that says gift. You can still insure the wheels for the full amount, doesn't have to be the same as the declared amount.

Oh, and spend the extra money to get them to ship with USPS. Airmail is worth the extra $$$ IMO.

On the other hand, I got another car part worth $70 shipped with UPS and they charged me $35.

Go down pick them up put them on your car and say you were just visiting.

My Ride
    corrado/Legend 6 SPD

Originally posted by gpomp
    I just got $600 worth of car parts shipped from the states. I paid $11 for brokerage and taxes.

Just get the guy to mark the value really low (like under $100) and check the box that says gift. You can still insure the wheels for the full amount, doesn't have to be the same as the declared amount.

Oh, and spend the extra money to get them to ship with USPS. Airmail is worth the extra $$$ IMO.

On the other hand, I got another car part worth $70 shipped with UPS and they charged me $35.
    I Would Suggest not doing this because they will only pay you value for them so if you say they are worth 80 bux they will pay you 80 Bux When they Get Lost.

I Would Suggest Valueing them at exactly What You Paid Minus Shipping, That Way you Have a leg to stand on if something happens.

I have alway Wondered what Customs Would do if you Wrapped the Packages and Put a Birthday Card inside if they would still charge customs?

My Ride
    V167

I think I will end up going down and picking them up from the border....not worth all the hassle with bills and shit from UPS and FEDex...they always will add some bullshit fee on top

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

ok, here is my deal.

I got new wheels off e-bay for $300 USD.

The shipper shipped FedEx ground. $50 US from California.

He declared and insured for $50 USD a wheel.

They arrived.

I got a bill a month later for $30 CDN (brokerage) and ~$27 GST.

I wouldn't try smuggling them over the boarder... if you get caught, they will mark your name and you car and you will get hassled EVERYTIME you go across in either direction. Not worth it IMO.

A friend of mine goes over the boarder about once a month. They busted him for not declaring something. Now his car gets search each and every time he goes over the boarder.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Thats not bad at all benyl. I wonder how different it would be if I bought new wheels from the US?

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by limecorrado

I Would Suggest not doing this because they will only pay you value for them so if you say they are worth 80 bux they will pay you 80 Bux When they Get Lost.
    No dude, declared value and insured value is different. If some dude sells me say a brand new engine for one dollar it doesnt mean the max insurance he can put on is one dollar. You can insure it for as much as you like.

here is a hint that most know alread. No matter what, NEVER USE UPS!!!!!

My Ride
    Model S

bumping this old thread with a question

dont customs notice stuff like

Declared value: $50
    Insured value: $3000

and catch on to the little scam?

i might be ordering a few $XXXX items and id love to not have to pay GST or duty but im kinda scared to try haha

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

If the shipper will send it as a commercial "sample" you can get away with the above.

Slap on some cheap ass steelies and drive down there. Swap on the wheels, and donate the steelies to a tire shop or try selling it to em for super cheap.

Drive back up with your new wheels

If you are shipping it... use "warranty repair work - refinishing wheels" and it wont get charged anything.
    ---

What u looking to get for your old wheels?

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by kenny
    Slap on some cheap ass steelies and drive down there. Swap on the wheels, and donate the steelies to a tire shop or try selling it to em for super cheap.

Drive back up with your new wheels

If you are shipping it... use "warranty repair work - refinishing wheels" and it wont get charged anything.
    Haha, thought of the driving idea, but buying disposable steelies then paying for unmounting/remounting down there would just negate any savings made by the trip I think

I have stuff other than wheels too but I think I might just drive down and bring everything back and underdeclare it as much as I feel lucky getting away with.

One is a private sale, one is from a vendor. The vendor is not likely to be dishonest with their labelling, and the guy involved in the private sale might have trouble getting away with "warranty" labelling when there is no company labelling.

Though I suppose thats not hard to make up, assuming they dont check...

Unless I get everything installed on the car down there and then mail my old wheels to myself which would clearly have far less value and not appear "new".

Ok new question, anyone know any good shops close to the border?

Originally posted by FastDak318
    What u looking to get for your old wheels?
    I was just going to keep them as winter rims actually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast