Quantcast
Working too much - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Working too much

My Ride
    NC1

Yah it's starting to get pretty bad/sad, however you want to put it. All I do is work and I don't even go out anymore. There isn't much that interests me in this city anyway, might as well save the $$$ for vacation or something! It's weird, my priorities have shifted so much in the last while, not sure if this is a short term or permanent thing........Or maybe this is just part of 'growing up'
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    I've always been a big advocate of living at home. Mind you I get along great with my parents and we work together 10 hours a day. Do I plan to keep this up forever? No. In a few years, I'll have the foundation set to tackle the next phase of my life. Changing careers, moving away, traveling, starting a family etc. All this while most of my buddies are still paying off their student loans.
    When I was in my early 20's, I worked for the "family" business. There was a time when I worked for 3 months in a row, every single day (Sat/Sun/Holidays) -> Usually 12+ hours average. One week in this 3 month period, I worked 7 days straight of 18-21 hours each day. At the time, it was all for the big paycheck. But when I look back, I wouldn't change it, but sure as hell wouldn't do it again for anyone other than myself. Working for 'other' people is so completely over rated. LOL. Even if it is a family business. If YOU don't own it outright, don't work like you do. IF you think there is a pay back down the road, think again!

If you live at home, you should be able to really pack the cash away. So that's a good thing.

BUT back to the original topic of sleep. When I was working crazy hours, basically it was work until you get home, sleep, get up and work again. There is no 'time' anywhere in between. And that would mean sleep of 6 hours maximum. I've worked too much, and am happy to have realized this while still in my early thirties. I used to just laugh at people who worked 40-50 hours a week and thought they had it rough. Hell, I considered a 50 hour week part time, and 40 hours was just a piece of cake. I'd hit 40 hours in the first 3 days of a work week, no problem. Hell, 70 hours was a light week if you were working 7 days.

If you are only working 10 hours, and actually NEEDING 10 hours sleep, something is wrong. Most likely just a mental thing - it is unlikely your body actually requires that much sleep. Although, must admit you are LUCKY if you can actually stay asleep for 10 hours in the first place. Even now I am lucky if I can string 4 hours in a row. :-) Bottom line, set strict times for going to bed, and for getting up. Shouldn't really need more than 8 hours. Get up when that alarm goes off, and eventually your body will just know what it's doing, and you won't feel sleepy. If you stay in bed too long, your body just will feel lazy when you get up. So don't be doing that. Good luck, and most of all, don't work too hard. You'll regret it later! *OR* if you must work hard, start your own company and do it for yourself.

My Ride
    NC1

It must be a mental thing. I think I've gotten use to the workload now and everything is routine. I was exhausted for a little while there but it seems my body has adapted. My sleeping schedule is usually 12am-10am and you are right, I actually sleep, really well too

Yes the paycheque is awesome. It's true, I don't want to ever work like this again. I don't know if I ever want to run my own business either. When I think about it, you either work really hard when you are young before you have kids, or work really hard after your kids grow up. I choose the first one, I want to spend time with my kids. And when they grow up, I want my investments to mature so I can enjoy life after.

Somedays I just wonder what it is like to have a weekend off and work a 9-5 job without much responsibility........hmmmm
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

you'll be doing what i'm doing.. trolling beyond while i'm at work.. and have to weekends to do my schoolwork and extra curricular activities

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3