Quantcast
creating a 80ft long x 2ft high banner. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: creating a 80ft long x 2ft high banner.

My Ride
    1991 Acura Integra

Default creating a 80ft long x 2ft high banner.

Had a friend who needs one for a wall. Any suggestions to setting this up? Never made a banner before. Any suggestions would be great.

Basically its 80 ft long x 2 ft wide.

Will be high gloss,

just need to set it up on my adobe photoshop. If you have suggestions or tips that would be great.

also any good priters that can print this off at a good price would be great.

thx

d

Not sure if this is possible. I'm only running 5.5 and maxs out at about 35 feet.

My Ride
    2009 STi

What you can do is just set the dimensions in photoshop by some scaling factor.

So instead of saying 80ft x 2ft, set it to 8ft x 0.2ft and just tell the printer you want it 10 times as big. I always use this trick with PageMaker.

Not sure who could print that though. You could try a place like Kinkos. I dont think the length matters, more the width, and since its only 2 feet it shouldn't be too hard to get done (but will be expensive!). I seem to recall Kinkos was about $12/sqft but I could be wrong...

My Ride
    2004 Mitusbishi Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by tulit
    What you can do is just set the dimensions in photoshop by some scaling factor.

So instead of saying 80ft x 2ft, set it to 8ft x 0.2ft and just tell the printer you want it 10 times as big. I always use this trick with PageMaker.

Not sure who could print that though. You could try a place like Kinkos. I dont think the length matters, more the width, and since its only 2 feet it shouldn't be too hard to get done (but will be expensive!). I seem to recall Kinkos was about $12/sqft but I could be wrong...
    Good idea but the only problem with that is the resolution. if you made the banner at 8ftx.2ft and blew it up by 10x the resolution would be horrible everything would be jagged. even if you bump up the res you still lokking at the same problem. And to top it all off the file size would be gigantic, and printers in this town hate giganctic files.

Your best bet is adobe illutrator or a similar vector program. A file 8ft x 0.2 ft in illutrator would be no more than a mg and because it's vector it can be sized to any dimension without losing quality. Vector (Illustrator/Corel Draw) is sized mathematiclly (your dealing with lines) where as raster (photoshop, etc.) your dealing with pixel (squares). Invest in Illustrator it will make that job 1000x easier.
    --
    Nick

My Ride
    1991 Acura Integra

Default Mitsu_Ralliart

thanks man. ill try that too.

should i keep it at 300dpi for something that big?

My Ride
    2009 STi

Mitsu, all you need to do is bump up the PPI ten fold as well (Sorry I didnt mention that). So it would become a file that was 8ft x 0.2ft @ 3000 DPI if you wanted to print at 80 feet x 2 feet @ 300 DPI. But I guess depending on whats going on the banner, your right illustrator or something may be better (i.e. if there are no photos, just text, etc)

My Ride
    2004 Honda CRV

Originally posted by Mitsu_Ralliart

Good idea but the only problem with that is the resolution. if you made the banner at 8ftx.2ft and blew it up by 10x the resolution would be horrible everything would be jagged. even if you bump up the res you still lokking at the same problem. And to top it all off the file size would be gigantic, and printers in this town hate giganctic files.

Your best bet is adobe illutrator or a similar vector program. A file 8ft x 0.2 ft in illutrator would be no more than a mg and because it's vector it can be sized to any dimension without losing quality. Vector (Illustrator/Corel Draw) is sized mathematiclly (your dealing with lines) where as raster (photoshop, etc.) your dealing with pixel (squares). Invest in Illustrator it will make that job 1000x easier.

Ahhh...you beat me to it.
    Mitsu_Ralliart is right...don't be doin' this in Photoshop.

D.

My Ride
    2000 prelude

my mom owns a print shop
    e-mail [email protected] and ask if she can help you
    Lifes a bitch so be a pimp

My Ride
    1991 Acura Integra

Default banner

thanks very much everyone. i will give this a try.

My Ride

Originally posted by tulit
    Mitsu, all you need to do is bump up the PPI ten fold as well (Sorry I didnt mention that). So it would become a file that was 8ft x 0.2ft @ 3000 DPI if you wanted to print at 80 feet x 2 feet @ 300 DPI. But I guess depending on whats going on the banner, your right illustrator or something may be better (i.e. if there are no photos, just text, etc)
    I completely understand what your saying and this is a good idea for certain applications, however in this instance it is not physically posible to make this banner in photoshop. The banner needs to be CMYK or a series of PANTONE colours (this can not be RGB) 80 feet x 2 feet at 300dpi (or 8ft x 0.2ft at 3000dpi) will result in a file size of 7.72G without images or text. There is no way you'd get that to a printer (unless you had a USB/FIREWIRE Harddrive) and there is no printer that would be able to print that. The setup time alone would take a week. And agian this is a great idea (I do this as well) but for this application it is not possible. You need to use Illustrator (or a similar vector program)

But I got to admit that would be funny as shit trying to watch someone make or print a 7.72G file!
    --
    Nick

My Ride

Originally posted by hondarunner
    my mom owns a print shop
    e-mail [email protected] and ask if she can help you
    What's your mom's printshop called out of curiosity? Is this an actual shop or is this run out of the home?
    --
    Nick

My Ride
    2009 STi

Alright fair enough

My Ride
    1991 Acura Integra

Default Mitsu_Ralliart

thanks Mitsu_Ralliart for your insight. I will be using illustrator to have at this project. We may be taking this to chuncks of 8ft by 2 ft so we can place two rows on a sheet to print off.

My Ride
    Mercedes Benz R class, Mercedes Benz E class

Thats going to cost a fortune!!! 160sq.ft.

www.bmwvsmbz.com

My Ride

result in a file size of 7.72G without images or text. There is no way you'd get that to a printer (unless you had a USB/FIREWIRE Harddrive) and there is no printer that would be able to print that.
    The company I work for deals with Digital Elevation Models and Sattelite Imagery file sizes that exceed 1GB and the process time is only about 10 seconds.

HP DesignJet 1050c with an 80GB hard drive
    Dell 100/1000 NIC
    256MB RAM in the printer

7GB would take like 2 minutes to process.

It can be done....

www.bmwvsmbz.com

My Ride

Originally posted by Stealth R/T

The company I work for deals with Digital Elevation Models and Sattelite Imagery file sizes that exceed 1GB and the process time is only about 10 seconds.

HP DesignJet 1050c with an 80GB hard drive
    Dell 100/1000 NIC
    256MB RAM in the printer

7GB would take like 2 minutes to process.

It can be done....
    Digital Elevation Models and Sattelite Imagery is nothing compared to full blown images (photos, etc.) at full colour. there is a big difference there especially in the way it is processed and printed.
    --
    Nick

My Ride

Digital Elevation Models and Sattelite Imagery is nothing compared to full blown images (photos, etc.) at full colour.

Digital Elevation Models are full colour geographically refrenced images with pixels at 0.7m at ground level. (you can see cars on a road)

Canada as a whole runs around the 3.35 TerraByte mark. (not that we would ever print the whole country)

Your image could be printed but it would cost you a fortune.
    I think your idea of "sections" is probably your best bet.

Good Luck!

www.bmwvsmbz.com

My Ride

Originally posted by Stealth R/T

Digital Elevation Models are full colour geographically refrenced images with pixels at 0.7m at ground level. (you can see cars on a road)

Canada as a whole runs around the 3.35 TerraByte mark. (not that we would ever print the whole country)

Your image could be printed but it would cost you a fortune.
    I think your idea of "sections" is probably your best bet.

Good Luck!
    I think you completly missed the point. In theory a 7.72G file can be printed (not conveiently), but no commercial printer (which is what would be needed) would accept this job. That is why I said it can't be done. I also know that elevation models are full colour, but your comparing apples to oranges here. The dpi is completly different, and the print process is different. You have computers and printers set up to print a 2G files (mainly lines without imense detail and colour seperations), but the detail that goes into a full blown design piece (ie posters, ads) at a high res needs a different setup and in the end is not comparable. The way colour is displayed and the way information is laid out is two completely different things, processing time two different things. In theory (with all the time you wanted and all the money) this can be done. Realistically for this instance... it can't.
    --
    Nick