Quantcast
Do dealerships have to disclose... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Do dealerships have to disclose...

My Ride
    BMW E70

Default Do dealerships have to disclose...

If a vehicle they are selling you has been in an accident? I know for a fact that my car has been in a collision involving the right front fender. I noticed this in the summer when I was washing it at home. But never really though much of it until now. I took a really close look at it today and the change in paint texture is amazingly obvious. Whatever body shop repaired the car did a horrible job matching the paint.

When I bought the car (from High River Honda) they gave me "everything" they had in the file. I have a few service records from the previous owner, an inspection report when the car came back on the lot and a service report while the dealership had the car. I would assume that the car was a lease back. I'm going to call the dealership on Monday but they are so backwards I doubt they'll be able to tell me much.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

haha High river.. we got the stratus at high river tooo... they didnt tell us any accident record wat so ever.. but 2 weeks later we realize that the car been in a front collision or something before and the whole bumper has been replaced..... should've noticed it when the emblem itself is like 5 bucks from wal mart stick on..oh well

My Ride
    AI Servo

Dealers don't have to say anything.

Certain manufacturers have a factory warranty on used cars like Audi, Mercedes and BMW. Typically, if the car is in pretty good shape, they'll tack on the warranty for you. If the car has been in a bad accident or if there's been major repairs on it, they won't.

Check with your dealer.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

yeah thats sucks man, thats why you have to do a lean search on your car even if it comes from the dealer

if the sales person makes it out like he doesnt know anythings, its probably beacuse he knows everything

they make themselves look stupid just to make a quick deal

My Ride
    AI Servo

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    yeah thats sucks man, thats why you have to do a lean search on your car even if it comes from the dealer
    Unfortunately, though, a lien search won't be able to tell you if the car's been in an accident unless it has been totalled.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by turboMiata

Unfortunately, though, a lien search won't be able to tell you if the car's been in an accident unless it has been totalled.
    hmmm sorry then i mustbe miss-informed, ??

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

They can claim that they didn't know that it was in an accident. The only thing they have to disclose by law is if the vehicle is in repaired status.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    NC1

When you bring your car into the bodyshop, they take down your VIN number, isn't that information stored in a database somewhere where it can be accessible by the general public? Or would that information be only available to the bodyshop itself? What if there was a insurance claim? Then wouldn't the insurance company have that information as well? There must be a way for the consumer to find out if the vehicle has been in an accident or not

I hope I make sense
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by max_boost
    When you bring your car into the bodyshop, they take down your VIN number, isn't that information stored in a database somewhere where it can be accessible by the general public? Or would that information be only available to the bodyshop itself? What if there was a insurance claim? Then wouldn't the insurance company have that information as well? There must be a way for the consumer to find out if the vehicle has been in an accident or not

I hope I make sense

Are you aware of how many people get stuff done under the table? Privatly?

Unless there is something on the record such as repaired or totalled, thats life.
    Travel

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Benny

Are you aware of how many people get stuff done under the table? Privatly?

Unless there is something on the record such as repaired or totalled, thats life.
    Duh, word to big ben i've done some interesting things in my life....
    I'm just saying, if it goes through insurance, then there must be a file somewhere

if it doesn't go through insurance then of course it never happened, i know all about that
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    BMW E70

I would assume the work was done by a shop. And when I had my EL someone backed into my left front fender. The damage to the fender including replacing the bumper, replacing the fender and repainting was about $1800. So, I'm hoping that it was repaired by a good shop. My only hope might be that a police report was filed at the time.

Thanks for all of your info and input guys