Quantcast
1997 Mazda 626 Difficult to start if at all - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 1997 Mazda 626 Difficult to start if at all

My Ride
    03 Focus Centennial

Default 1997 Mazda 626 Difficult to start if at all

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to help my neighbour fix her 1997 Mazda 626 cronos but I'm not having much luck. The present condition of the car is that it will not start and it has not been maintained very well. Stage 1: the car would hesitate a little when trying to start it. Stage 2: the car preferred to be started when cold and sat for over 4-5 hours. Now the car will turn over and the sounds through the exhaust make it seem like it will run, but won't. I say this because her exhaust system is missing the tail pipe (rusted off) and has nickel size holes throughout the remaining. Something I've recently noticed about the car when I last tried to start it was that the fan instantly came on when I put the ignition to on, this was during a morning that could not have been over 5 C.

Here is what I've tried: The battery is fine, I've tested for voltage through the ignition wires to the distributor and found about 11 volts, I've disassembled the distributor and found the rotor to have some minor pitting and the distributor points were a little scaled. I put the distributor back together (no cracks in body or towers) pulled plug #1 and found a half decent spark (arc to engine). I opened the gas cap and listened for the sound of the fuel pump when the ignition was turned to on and I didn't really hear anything. So I checked a fuel line before the fuel rail and found pressurized gas. I'm pretty confused with this, any help is greatly appreciated.

My Ride
    03 Focus Centennial

Well, I'm guessing that I've confused everyone. I've decided to buy an OBD II code reader. This weekend I should be able to figure out why the check engine light has been coming on. If I get stumped I'll post the codes here. Thanks for viewing the thread.

Daryl

My Ride
    03 Focus Centennial

I bought the code reader and got a P0335 "Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction". I'm guessing that the module in the distributor, but I'm not sure.