hi,
    anyone know the stock HP of this car?
    i was told 220-230 but i am not sure
    thx

My Ride
    firebird

Right in the middle according to MSN Autos. 4.9L 225hp V8

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ov...d=1004&src=vip

The real SVT Cobra came out in 1993 with 235 hp.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...c=vip#eng_tran
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Apex Predator

5.0L 225HP
    (4.9L - MSN is on crack)

Real svt cobra's were only produced in 1993 - good luck finding one here. Anything prior with cobra badging is either fake, or known as a Canadian Cobra. Read on.

Straight from www.mustanggt.org <-- Should answer most questions you could ever have.

Why was the "Cobra" name used on Canadian GT's?

The one big question that we still unfortunately have no answer to is “why in the world was the Cobra name added only to 1984-1992 Canadian GT’s?” We've seen a few theories kicked around about this topic, yet we've never seen any "official" explanation. Even contacts at Ford of Canada are unable to give an answer to this question.

The explanation we've frequently seen is that Ford had to release a car using the "Cobra" name every so often or they would lose the rights to use the name on any of their cars. Apparently, there were a number of others waiting in the wings to grab the rights to use the name including Carroll Shelby (who was the first to use the name in the first place) and Tom Solomon (builder of the 1983-1986 Predator Mustangs).

We have also heard unconfirmed reports that the Cobra name could not be used on U.S. models by Ford at the time because there was an on-going dispute with Carroll Shelby about using the Cobra designation (there is information on Shelby's web site about the lawsuit Shelby brought against Ford for using "GT350" on the '84 20th anniversary cars but there was no mention of a lawsuit about the "Cobra" name.)

One other explanation that has been offered is that the Cobra name was added to Canadian GT’s as a marketing ploy to boost sales in Canada. While any of the above theories and rumors may make sense, we cannot say for sure why the Cobra name was used for 1984-1992 Canadian GT’s.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

^^^^^

I always wondered about that. I told my friend that cobra's only came in 1993 and despite his cobra badging he is wrong.

Now i will forward this to his 5.0 loving ass.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    ^^^^^

I always wondered about that. I told my friend that cobra's only came in 1993 and despite his cobra badging he is wrong.

Now i will forward this to his 5.0 loving ass.

canadian eh? so the american cobra is faster?

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by suzuki1k
    canadian eh? so the american cobra is faster?
    The only american cobra between 87-93 was made in 1993. Yes it is faster. The canadian cobra is basically a re-badged mustang GT. I guess my first post wasn't clear enough.

My Ride
    2019 RS3, Corolla winter beater

NickGT is correct. I used to own a 91 5.0L LX notchback and bought it brand new back in 1991. The engine in it was the exact same spec as the GT which was rated at 225hp. These cars seem to be getting more and more rare by the year. I used to see them everywhere. Interesting info about the Cobra badging, didn't know about that...

My Ride
    FAT tires

Originally posted by NickGT
    5.0L 225HP
    (4.9L - MSN is on crack)

MSN is right your on crack, fords "5.0" is a 302cubic inch motor, 4948cc or a 4.9L a 5.0 is a 305cubic inch motor 4998cc

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by tsi_neal

MSN is right your on crack, fords &quot;5.0&quot; is a 302cubic inch motor, 4948cc or a 4.9L a 5.0 is a 305cubic inch motor 4998cc
    Technically yes. 302 Cubic Inches = 4.948893328 Litres

The rumoured reason behind not badging 4.9L was to avoid confusion with the 4.9L 300 cubic inch inline 6 cyl. pickup truck motor Ford has. I'm sure marketing also liked the sound of 5-oh of course.

But it seems pretty common practice and acceptable to round from what I've read. Repair manuals and virtually every other website note the 302 as a 5.0L V8.

Just to use your car as an example. They say its a 2.0L Inline 4 cylinder, when actually its a 1.99922181 litre - 122 Cubic inch (rounded from 121.8) - Inline 4 if you don't round. So does that make it a 1.9L? Numbers are so easily manipulated if you do or don't round.

Calculating with 2 decimal places seems pretty standard. So:

4.95L rounds to 5.0L

It's interesting how numbers can be manipulated to generate such a well known/respected number.

Here's the site I was using to calculate. Just go under volume.
    Click Here
    Last edited by NickGT; 09-21-2004 at 11:43 PM.

My Ride
    FAT tires

Originally posted by NickGT

Technically yes. 302 Cubic Inches = 4.948893328 Litres

The rumoured reason behind not badging 4.9L was to avoid confusion with the 4.9L 300 cubic inch inline 6 cyl. pickup truck motor Ford has. I'm sure marketing also liked the sound of 5-oh of course.

But it seems pretty common practice and acceptable to round from what I've read. Repair manuals and virtually every other website note the 302 as a 5.0L V8.

Just to use your car as an example. They say its a 2.0L Inline 4 cylinder, when actually its a 1.99922181 litre - 122 Cubic inch (rounded from 121.8) - Inline 4 if you don't round. So does that make it a 1.9L? Numbers are so easily manipulated if you do or don't round.

Calculating with 2 decimal places seems pretty standard. So:

4.95L rounds to 5.0L

It's interesting how numbers can be manipulated to generate such a well known/respected number.

Here's the site I was using to calculate. Just go under volume.
    Click Here
    Actually my motor is 1997cc so its even closer to being a 1.9...
    i was mostly trying to be an ass, but the official conversion for a 302 is 4.9L

But i totally agree on the marketing, how many new mustang owners brag about their 4.6L and how many old stang owners brag about their 5oh's

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by tsi_neal

But i totally agree on the marketing, how many new mustang owners brag about their 4.6L and how many old stang owners brag about their 5oh's
    I'm constantly telling people, "No its not a 5.0L, it's a 4.6L." At first they are like wow that sucks. Then I need to explain its still a V8, and there has also been a power increase over the stock 5.0L's from years ago... Its incredible what the 5.0L name did for the mustang imo..
    Last edited by NickGT; 09-21-2004 at 11:59 PM.