Quantcast
Subaru Legacy - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Subaru Legacy

Default Subaru Legacy

Does anyone know much about the subaru legacy turbos from the early 90s. Interested in a turbo AWD 5 speed manual sedan. Anyone know much about these? Links?

particularily interested in performance, safety and reliability as well as repair costs.
    thx
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

Check out i-club.com and look in the legacy section. Or search for it, I have seen some very informative posts there about these cars, sedan and wagon.

My Ride
    pedals

Talking neato carro

2.2L turbo 16v engine. flat 4 configuration. 180 hp.
    Same wieght and dist. as new WRX. Reasonably well handling car.

If you can find it, the 2.0L turbo legacy has 40 mo horses at 220hp. (memory is failing me, it could be only 200hp)

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Safety...? Well I used to have a 1992 Legacy (2.0L)....see the attached pic. I was turning left, (basically at a stand still) and a drunk driver went through a red light going an estimated 130 in a 50 zone. He hit me in the pass. side front quarter panel and I spun almost a 720.
    Lucky I didn't have a passenger. The glove box popped out, hit the passenger seat hard, and ripped it up.

Judge for yourself the condition of the car. Not all that bad considering how hard I was hit. I walked away from it, a few bruises and a stiff neck. His car was the White Daihatsu Charade in the background. As you can see the entire front end of it is gone...pushed inside the car. The driver of the white car and his passenger both walked away from it as well.

Well I had the car it was very reliable...the sunroof always leaked in the rain though..(annoying), and with the AC on on the highway there was a lack of passing power. The AC would make this clicking noise when you stepped on the gas. Repair costs I would say were about average....handling was amazing...

I'll see if I can dig up some more crash pics..

In my family...we now have an Outback, and an Impreza as well. Subaru is the only brand of car we have bought more than once...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CLiVE; 11-20-2002 at 01:29 AM.

My Ride
    pedals

drunk driven folks make me angry.........................

you were pretty luck though, considering the very evidnet possiblity for that accident to have been much worse.....

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Can't give you any numbers for performance unfortunately. I have driven one and it was a decent handling car, with good power and lots of low end torque. Horsepower was 180 in the turbo, around 140 in the regular ones. Safety wise, the cars are quite well built for the time, and seem to hold up extremely well in accidents. Later years came equipped with ABS, and all turbo models had full time all wheel drive. Reliability is better than average. Repair costs are average for a subaru, which means higher than domestics and most imports, but not in BMW or Mercedes. As was said, check out http://www.i-club.com for more info.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

Thx for the link and info guys.

I'm probably getting rid of the truck soon, and the legacy sounds like it might be my next vehicle
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

I think one of the Impreza guys here has that legacy engine in his car. Not sure though...anyways I think I-club is hcanging their domain name but I don't remember what its gonna be now. hah

My Ride
    '15 GTI

it would be a unique ride man, grab a JDM Turbo Engine, if you get the sedan maybe go touring style