Quantcast
Need help choosing a major - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing a major

My Ride
    '92 RPS13

Default Need help choosing a major

I'm currently in the Business Admin program at SAIT. I've got to choose my major within the next few weeks here, and was just curious as to what future i have in Calgary with the different majors. The 4 majors i have to choose from are Accounting, Management, Marketing, Finance. I was thinking of either Accounting or Marketing. But I'm just curious to see which make more and which have more openings. i'd perfer to stay in Calgary, but if its alot of money then I'm willing to move

My Ride
    335i

The winner HANDS down is accounting. Here's why;

With accounting, you are almost guaranteed to find a steady and well paying job in the near future. This does not mean you will get one for sure, but your probability is huge.

The other positions often involve luck and business savvy to become successful. While they definately pay more if you have these two, the majority of finance individuals end up in average paying jobs in the financial industry.

Marketing in my opinion is the toughest of the ones you listed to find success. You have to be both creative and lucky to find success in this area of study.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

marketing is hit and miss.. i know marketing majors that have yet been able to find a job and they graduated 3 years ago.. but then again, i don't know how well they networked themselves in school and out of school..

but i've also seen marketing majors make a crap load too..

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    The winner HANDS down is accounting. Here's why;

With accounting, you are almost guaranteed to find a steady and well paying job in the near future. This does not mean you will get one for sure, but your probability is huge.
    This isn't completely true, these days you have to have your accounting designation or be very close to complete it to find a steady well paying job. Most company's don't even look at you without it.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by MerfBall

This isn't completely true, these days you have to have your accounting designation or be very close to complete it to find a steady well paying job. Most company's don't even look at you without it.

Then you aren't trying hard enough. My sister finished and got a job immediately. And she rarely even tried, nor did she have any connections in the industry.

Felon or Mistermeiner

I picked Management for my major a few years back.

Basically because it left the most options open.

Finance, Accounting, and Marketing all go into specific carrers.
    With management you techinally could enter any one of those.

for example:
    Say company X wants a manager and an accountant.
    The finance or accounting major will be hired as an accountant, but probally not the management job
    The management major can apply for both, and be considered for both because management principles are needed for both positions.

At least thats one way of working out.
    But then again. I have a pretty good job for 20 and my sait diploma had nothing to do with getting hired.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

with so many ppl taking accounting at universities now wouldnt they have a better chance of getting it before someone form sait?,personally id go with management(i guess im biased because thats what im in) because like dave said its well rounded, you keep your options open

IMO:

1. Accounting
    2. Finance
    3. Management

6. Marketing

Pick the one that you like the most, don't go with the trends. Reasons being,
    a) if you like it, you will most likely work harder at it
    b) if you work harder at it, you will increase your chances of success
    c) if you land a job in that area, you will enjoy it
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Then you aren't trying hard enough. My sister finished and got a job immediately. And she rarely even tried, nor did she have any connections in the industry.
    I'm not saying he won't find a job, for sure he will, you can really find a job in any industry if you look hard (that goes the same for marketing and finance). It's the steady and well paying jobs require designations.

I have alot of friends that came out of accounting degrees and even diploma at SAIT and worked mediocre jobs. And alot of them now were bored to tears and want more money/ better opportunity and those jobs require designation which quite a few of them do now.

You want a guaranteed job from accounting go apply for a job at CCRA.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by MerfBall

You want a guaranteed job from accounting go apply for a job at CCRA.

I agree with everything you said. We all start in mediocre jobs, but the intent is to work up from there.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza

Pretty soon, there's gonna be a HUGE demand for accountants, because if you look around, most of them are around the retiring age. If you go accounting then chances are that you'll be able to find a job pretty quick, and you should be able to advance the ranks fairly quick as well. But I'll have to agree with lint and say you should't base it on money, but what you like the most.

I'm also in BA at SAIT, and I'm probably goin to go with management because that leaves the most options open for me. This is a very good thing because I've still yet to decide what I want to do in life haha

Hope that helped a lil

My Ride
    '92 RPS13

Thats the same boat I"m in, but I hear accounting will be a big need in the future, and if you got a good accounting record from school, you should be able to get a good job hands down.

My Ride
    firebird

Accounting is where there is going to be the biggest demand in the next 3-5 years. There is a huge vaccuum according to Canadian Business, which I read just two days ago.

As for investment banking, that was one of the professions that they said would not be hot.

I just switched over to Accounting. It will open up a door in ANY industry you want to work in. Look at the VPs of all of the huge companies in North America. They are all Accounting, Finance or Engineer backgrounds. Even though the job may not be so exciting, there are excellent opportunities to advance into different areas. And also, what could be easier than starting up your own CA partnership after 10 years in the business? Jeez....if you really wanted to you could work a few months of the year for tax season and book a month off for holidays during the down time.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    '92 RPS13

Alright thanks Mckenzie, I've made my desiciom, I'm going to accounting

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Id say accounting!!

for these hardworkers!!!

go dad!!

My Ride
    NC1

Accounting is probably the hardest of the four majors. 50% of my Financial Accounting class failed! I couldn't believe how long it took me to understand freaking debits and credits and those gay ass structured financial statements. But I did get an A the second time around.

My advice is to go for Accounting as well. I majored in Marketing and I don't feel like I have any solid knowledge. Accounting is like a trade, always in demand where as Marketing...... I don't know what skill you possess! haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

accounting is the most boring... lol. be sure that is what you are interested in doing. imo intro accounting classes are a joke. if you have problems understanding debits/credits or preparing financial statements... i would not go into accounting. you will struggle when getting into the later courses. like others have siad... going into accounting does not guarantee anything far as job goes... you still need the work experience, know the people or whatever to get a job.

My Ride
    '92 RPS13

I'll prob take accounting, just cause I don't like anything else. I sorta like management, but its not my cup of tea.

My Ride
    MK7 Oryx White R, 79 Austin Mini Cooper

yeah im also in the same boat.....hopefully im gonna be taking accounting at MRC next year....ive had enough with CPSC.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast