Quantcast
Remote Car Starter - What's wrong with Future Shop, Visions, A&B Sound - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote Car Starter - What's wrong with Future Shop, Visions, A&B Sound

Default Remote Car Starter - What's wrong with Future Shop, Visions, A&B Sound

I see all the deals coming in flyers for Future Shop, Vision or A&B sound. Just looking for the experience, why not to go with these Stores for installation than going with other dealers like Audio Concept, Quinn Security etc ? These stores are offering really good deals sometimes like Visions offering AutoStart one for $148 and Future Shop for Viper $159. Please share yours and suggest the best deal in Calgary. I'm in NE Calgary...

All help appreciated..

My Ride
    FJC, S30

alot of people here have complained about quinn and also feel like they are gettin ripped off. i personally dont have a problem with a&b sound. infact i have had a total of 3 alarms installed by the same guy on 3 different cars. if your looking for a good deal try pm'in 12v on here. he does excellant work and gives very good prices. other than that go to a place where you feel safe handing over the kets at.
    Submaker.Illest.

I had one installed from quinn -> garbage
    I had one installed by FS -> good. *

*but I used to work there so I may have gotten favoritable treatment.

My Ride
    82 Delorean, 93 BMW 325is, 97 F-150

If you don't mind I would like to put in my 2 cents. I have been doing starters now for over 10 years. 6 years with visions and 2 with future shop and now for the past 2 on my own. in my experience with people complaints you pay for what you get. I have fixed starters from several companies. the most common problems I see is the quality of the install i.e solder on all the connections and proper running of the wires. you should never be able to look under your dash and see a nest of wiring that looks out of place. I just fixed one install yesterday that had wires run behind the foot e-brake. the customer pressed it down really hard and it pulled the wire and shorted out the deck. a basic install should always run you 199 install and up. when you see deals for less its because they are not including all the relays and whatnot you would need for the basic install. if you think about it the starter should cost 100 and the rest is to cover 2 hours of install. if you are paying 50 bucks for 2 hours of labour that 25 per hour. the shop has to keep at least 15 of that to cover the rent and bills and the other 10 is for wages. I don't know about you but I don't like taking my car to a 10/hr installer. you can't buy a good installer for 10 an hour. the good installers with experience are typically the shop managers doing the sales on the floor and the big install jobs. Go to a shop that you can talk to the guy doing the work and see if he knows what he is talking about.

I agree with Paul. You pay for what you get. Labour paid for 2 hours is always reasonable so long you get the peace of mind and not stranded on the road with your deck shot. I don't know - may be it's me - store deals don't hit me much and I'm supporter of local businesses than big Coms.

so, anyone can suggest the names please ? A few I got now in hand -

Custom Auto
    Audio concepts
    ARA Accessories
    12V

Paul : just a contradiction, you worked with FS and Vision for so many years, should I trust you now when you're working on your own or can I go with stores, well you had been working there..

My Ride
    335i

12v is cheaper than any of those stores you narrowed down, and does a better job. Stay away from Quinn - I can't speak on the quality of their installs, but their business practices are atrocious. I installed my first alarm there (a "free" alarm that they give with a $99.00 install fee). They ask you if you want an LED, and other nice things that all alarms should INCLUDE anyways, and they secretely bill you for everything.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Default Alarm

It seems all the bigger stores have great huge adds in news papers about cheap prices but if you actually go in ask, you'll find out really fast that it not that great a deal. Their adds are to draw people in, thats it! Once there most people end up buying something else even if they dont do the starters etc and so the add servers it purpose.

For example, I asked about the newer compustar install at A & B sound and it was like 500 for basic install. Now dont get fool, cause once I dig in deeper and asked more questions etc the total install was like 750. This would include door locks, light flashes, and bypasses etc. I was not interested in a install but just wanted to see how they could do alarms etc so cheap for cheap.

I had the same dealing with A&B a long time back when I first got a clifford alarm install, it was suppose to be like 200 bux but in the end I ended up paying like 500 after all said and done.

So if you're gonna get it done at Viosions, soundsaround or A&B etc. make sure you ask how much everthing will cost before paying for it or you'll learn the hard way.

Just be aware!
    Last edited by kkcool6; 10-21-2004 at 01:43 PM.

Ok some “backyard installer” may be cheaper, but here are some things to ponder……

With a lifetime guarantee what happens if you need warranty work down the road? What are the chances your “backyard installer” will be around to service you or honor that warranty whether it be on the unit or installation?

What happens if your “backyard installer” is no longer working where he originally purchased the units? He will NOT be a authorized Compustar Dealer therefore can not warranty the units himself.

So basically if either of these happen then you will have to find a Authorized dealer and pay them for the warranty work to service you (i.e. Troubleshoot, Re & Re, and most likely shipping if any parts need to be warranted) costing you more money and frustration in the long run!!

Not to mention what do you do if something happens to your car while he is working on it? He won’t have shop insurance so you’re screwed and pretty much have no recourse.

All in all considering these point plus many more, in my opinion it is a BAD idea to go anywhere other than a legitimate licensed business with a retail store front that has certified installers. There are no guarantees but they will most likely be around for a lot longer period of time in case of such mishaps or problems down the road.

T2

I would rather have a homeless guy who reeks like lysol and has track lines up his arms install my car starter than Quinn.

Tony2,

is there any recommendations for store names please ? Quinn is black listed for sure for now.. I read enough about it. I checked the prices for other stores - pretty much within $199-$225 for basic install, still not sure where to go ? anyone else ?

Originally posted by babs00
    Tony2,

is there any recommendations for store names please ? Quinn is black listed for sure for now.. I read enough about it. I checked the prices for other stores - pretty much within $199-$225 for basic install, still not sure where to go ? anyone else ?
    To be honest lots of good shops around, Most basic installs will roughly be the same at various stores. I would just suggest (just like the others have) to do some leg work and ask things such as......

speak to the sales staff and installer that will be performing the work on your car if possible and see if they are familiar with your model of vehicle, etc. The better places will spend some time with you to go over it all, if they don't can you imagine the service you will get if you do have a problem down the road?

see if they solder (best way) or use crimp style connectors

See if a warranty issue comes up right away if they will swap it out for store stock, or if they will send it off for service leaving you without a starter in the middle of winter.

see how long of a warranty they have on their installs (Most good ones will have a lifetime guarantee)

Once your in some of these stores and talking to them you will most likely get a good or bad vibe, the dealers that are here to stay you can usually tell by the appearance of their store, etc

There is going to be good and bad installers no matter where you go, this is where the leg work will pay off. Remember everyone likes to get a good deal, but the best price DOES NOT necessarily mean your getting a good deal.

T2

My Ride
    82 Delorean, 93 BMW 325is, 97 F-150

Paul : just a contradiction, you worked with FS and Vision for so many years, should I trust you now when you're working on your own or can I go with stores, well you had been working there..

haha you ask a good question.

honeslty I left both places and started my own because I was not happy will all the cut backs and lack of respect. I started my company with the strong belief that if you hire the best people and do the best work people will come on thier own based on reputation. take our sales staff with dieter (deetz) for example. we made it a point to hunt down a VERY smart saleman who can help grow customauto and treat the customers with respect. I do the same with the install staff that I am putting together. keep in mind that I have competed in IASCA for many years have my MECP and IASCA judging certificate(which visions I think still has hanging up).

My Ride
    89 Fairlady TT, 01 MDX, 02 CBR F4i

Hi guys,

Since we were mentioned in here, I will add my 2 cents as well.

Custom Auto is a small shop. We are not a huge corporation, but an active member of the Beyond community. We have supported this site by paying advertising fees If there's one thing we absolutely CAN NOT afford to do is make a bad name for ourselves on beyond.ca. We are car fanatics like you guys, that why we do the things we do.

Our prices are very competitive for installs even compared to the Future Shops and A&B's. And the best part is, the shop owner (Paul) does the installs himself (with my help handing him the solder.... yes, we solder wires!). We do not pay an $8.00/hr newbie to do your install. We treat customers rides like our own. Of course there is lifetime warranty on our installs, and we plan on being around for a while. We are even expandnig our shop to about 4500 sq/ft to serve you better. With a double bay we can work simutaneously on 4 cars.

With all this said. I would really like to have your business if you are thinking about a starter. I have had a thread up for almost a month regarding this very topic. I have had many inquiries, but not many takers. I don't think it's our price, because our prices are pretty damn good. We even saw Vision's pricing in the paper today and we were already lower than them on the exact AutoStart products. I would be great if you could support Custom Auto since we are an active member here in Beyond. I don't see 12v, Visions, A&B or Quinn on here supporting our community. We have no choice but to do a great job on installs, for all.

Here's the link to my thread regarding starters:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=57179

Give us a chance, you won't regret it.
    Come visit our new shop!

Just a quick correction, although 12V does not run a banner in our rotation, he is a supporting member! Please support our sponsors when making purchasing decisions as they are helping promote active car discussions.
    ---

Thumbs down Quinn Security

just a post I found in the forum archive thought you guys would be interested in seeing it.

as far as advice goes on getting an alarm in calgary, i strongly suggest never to go to quinn security. the owner Dan Friesen is a stingy cheap bastard. the employees he hires have absolutly no experience. he hires them and pays six dollars an hour, they leave after a month of f- ing around and breaking stuff on peoples cars. the alarms are crap that he buys from some blackmarket no name down in some warehouse in calif. he WILL RIP YOU OFF by selling you this cheap crap thats not even worthy of being called a knock off. he pays maybe 15 bucks for his famous "pro 300" alarm and gives them away to everbody who puts their name in his special draw box at all the car shows. you may think your getting this awesome free alarm but if you go in to claim it you will get extemely raped! trust me everybody your gonna end up paying at least 100 dollars min. for install to get a measly 15 dollar crap alarm that will do nothing but cause you a hudge hassle guaranteed with in the first week. trust me ive seen the ins and outs of this company for too long. he just lost his'' best installer'', aka his latest monthly 6 dollar an hour no experience high school dropout drunk.

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

I know one of the guys that used to work for Quinn... when it comes to some of the bigger shops and shop's like quinn the installers get paid depending on the number of installs they do plus a small hourly rate. They more alarms they put in the more money they make. My friend told me that if it was busy they would rush the installs to get as many done as possible. WHich is why there are so many complaints about the quality of the installs that are done. What do they care as long as they are getting paid.

I HIGHLY recommend Derdall Designs
    www.derdalldesigns.com

They installed my alarm and setero and it was probably the cleanest install I have seen.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

There is nothing wrong with going to those places. After the experience I had with 12v I would of been better off going to a reputable shop like Custom Auto, A&B, Future Shop etc. Read my post regarding my experience. READ ME!

Originally posted by redevil
    There is nothing wrong with going to those places. After the experience I had with 12v I would of been better off going to a reputable shop like Custom Auto, A&B, Future Shop etc. Read my post regarding my experience. READ ME!

Sorry you had to go through that, but all in all that was my point in regards to dealing with "backyard installers" Reputable stores have more to loose if something like this were to happen and them not fix it...................therefore more times than not they will pay to have it fixed!!

T2

Well, I'm feeling more knowledeable now and relaxed to know what I need and where I should look. I've to owe to this group especially - one may not believe - b4 coming to this group, I almost had booked my appointment with Quinn Security, so SAVED. Thanks BEYOND for that, I owe you guys.

I'd definitely chose one of the sponsors - 12V, Custom Auto, Instal?? to start with. It's better to go with them than to be blank.

And Tony2, Very good checklist - I'd recommend Administrator to be part of STICKY for getting a starter.

Celica Girl : Derdall designs website does not work.

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

Originally posted by babs00

Celica Girl : Derdall designs website does not work.
    The contact page works... they are still building the site... they just opened their shop a little while ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast