Quantcast
Is Alberta another Texas?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is Alberta another Texas??

My Ride
    335i

Default Is Alberta another Texas??

I was reading other threads and started wondering whether the rest of Canada views Albertans as another Texas.

We see funny posts about how the people in Southern America are inbred rednecks who have low IQs and who unanimously voted for Bush, a republican (conservative).

Funny how we, in Alberta, do the exact same thing. We always elect conservative governments and generally have the same type of rural environment that the Southern U.S. does.

When we think NEP, we all shudder as we remember it as a period where Alberta was raped. Other Canadians, however, were the sole beneficiaries of this cheap energy, so I cannot see how they would have disliked the NEP in any way.

What do other Canadians think of Alberta?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Hopefully they think of us as their daddy's, since we give them all their money like ungrateful teenagers

Default Re: Is Alberta another Texas??

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I was reading other threads and started wondering whether the rest of Canada views Albertans as another Texas.

We see funny posts about how the people in Southern America are inbred rednecks who have low IQs and who unanimously voted for Bush, a republican (conservative).

Funny how we, in Alberta, do the exact same thing. We always elect conservative governments and generally have the same type of rural environment that the Southern U.S. does.

When we think NEP, we all shudder as we remember it as a period where Alberta was raped. Other Canadians, however, were the sole beneficiaries of this cheap energy, so I cannot see how they would have disliked the NEP in any way.

What do other Canadians think of Alberta?

btw what is NEP? do you mean NDP?

I view Alberta as more conservative (may be more American) than the rest of Canada because of Alberta's spawn of Steve Harper and those other evil conservatives.

Anyways, im a liberal living in a conservative province. It doesnt bother me as the conservatives are doing okay for now. Sometimes it really depends on the individual of the party, rather than the party itself to serve a community better. Which is why i voted for Liberal (Paul Martin) instead of Steven Harper in the fed elections.

I really dont know what its like in rural areas, unless banff and other ski resorts qualify as rural areas

Alberta tends to lie a bit conservative, not like America, or more spec. texas.

Also, i dont tend to think of the southern american states as having low IQ.

My Ride
    It has a shiny thingy on the front

NEP stands for Pierre inspired National Energy Policy. Something that royally shafted this province up the rectum

Originally posted by Singel
    Hopefully they think of us as their daddy's, since we give them all their money like ungrateful teenagers
    does everybody honestly believe this? you think that alberta just gives all its money to the rest of the country?

christ almighty you guys..

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by method

does everybody honestly believe this? you think that alberta just gives all its money to the rest of the country?

christ almighty you guys..
    Alberta pays billions more than it receives. It's not a secret. Quebec also gains billions more than they pay. Of course it's not that simple, but that's the bottom line.

It seems like a big shaft right now, but it's the price you pay for being diverse. It's like investements - you don't put everything into one stock. In 20 years, Alberta might be the one on the receiving end. You don't know.

The part that makes older Albertans bitter is you didn't see the feds give Ontario's booming auto profits to us back when oil prices were in the shitter. Which is why the NEP was so hated - all cons, no pros.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My life moves included living in Calgary, to Dallas Texas, back to Calgary. I can say there is little difference, except the fact that Texians are proud to be part of the United States of America. I wish I could say the same about Alberta but it appears the seperation movement is gaining.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

I think Alberta is a bit more conservative than a lot of other provinces.

However views can vary..... do I see Alberta as being the redneck province. Welll not really.. if you align alberta with a political party then it seems we are conservative... and if you follow some of the leaders maaaybe a little bit of rednecks.

However In Alberta we feel a little bit of western alienation where we do our thing... and they do theirs. However if you look at values of people in Alberta... they would probably be fairly liberal. However most Albertans would not vote liberal because it feels like liberals ignore the west. However when you look to the different parties... they are not extremely different in comparison to the U.S.... We do not really have extremes but more so all the parties are pretty close to main stream with certain parts leaning conservative or Liberal.

The only downside to Alberta is that it does not really have the same environmental priorities because we are a energy based economy right now. I am no exeption to this as well..... I loved the idea of not having to have catalytic convertor on my toy car.... maybe Albertans just don't like trees...

How does the rest of Canada see us... probably more of a redneck province.

Don't look at me..I did not vote for king ralph the oil baron.. I voted liberal haha. =D

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Originally posted by shadow
    I think Alberta is a bit more conservative than a lot of other provinces.

However views can vary..... do I see Alberta as being the redneck province. Welll not really.. if you align alberta with a political party then it seems we are conservative... and if you follow some of the leaders maaaybe a little bit of rednecks.

However In Alberta we feel a little bit of western alienation where we do our thing... and they do theirs. However if you look at values of people in Alberta... they would probably be fairly liberal. However most Albertans would not vote liberal because it feels like liberals ignore the west. However when you look to the different parties... they are not extremely different in comparison to the U.S.... We do not really have extremes but more so all the parties are pretty close to main stream with certain parts leaning conservative or Liberal.

The only downside to Alberta is that it does not really have the same environmental priorities because we are a energy based economy right now. I am no exeption to this as well..... I loved the idea of not having to have catalytic convertor on my toy car.... maybe Albertans just don't like trees...

How does the rest of Canada see us... probably more of a redneck province.

Don't look at me..I did not vote for king ralph the oil baron.. I voted liberal haha. =D
    wowwww do you realize how much you contradict yourself! look at your last 2 statements and then you said,

Don't look at me.. I did not vote for king ralph the oil baron, sorry to break it to you but, ralph has been focused on such things as healthcare as well as education more then anything!

maybe you should keep playing with your toy car.. and stop giving uneducated opinions!

Hey its my opinion... and maybe you should stop flaming everyone on every thread.. its very childish... even my 12 year old cousin knows flaming is for babies on the internet.

If you have something intelligent to add may I suggest a more civilized way of responding such as.

Welll I agree with (point a, b) however I think that point c could be looked at differently because of this reason.... example...

If you want to show what he has done for health care post some good news info about what he is doing.

I mean comon... going around flaming people and not adding anything useful is pointless. Plus the tree and oil baron was a joke it has been around for the longest time...
    Last edited by shadow; 11-07-2004 at 05:36 PM.

My Ride
    greenwheels.nl

anybody ever see those no Kyoto, no gun registry, no Opec stickers on the back of people's cars showing how much of a redneck a person is?? I think thats a testament to the fact that Alberta's filled with people with the same ideologies as the texans.

My Ride
    1998 Mercedes Benz SL500/2000 Grand Cherokee V8

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    My life moves included living in Calgary, to Dallas Texas, back to Calgary. I can say there is little difference, except the fact that Texians are proud to be part of the United States of America. I wish I could say the same about Alberta but it appears the seperation movement is gaining.
    Brother? is that you? Yeah so true....and the roads are way better engineered. People there are just that; proud to be american. Im proud to be there when I live there too. I would agree that Alberta is the Texas of Canada.....and I would be proud to be in that type of situation. It means that our province is producing, profitable and forward moving. I just might vote for the alberta separatist party.