Quantcast
Whats the loudest, most Reliable Blow Off Valve ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats the loudest, most Reliable Blow Off Valve ?

My Ride
    Probe

Default Whats the loudest, most Reliable Blow Off Valve ?

Just doing some searching... That turbo xs one is supposed to be super loud but I dont really trust that company..
    So I was thinking something from Greddy or Blitz cause they look nicer and have a nicer name behind it... but will it be worth the extra money ?
    I want the loudest one possible...I want my 30psi to be Heard

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

HKS SS is nice

My Ride
    Civic

I used Greddy, fairly loud... nice clear sound. But I don't think sound is the only quality you should be looking for.

My Ride
    Godzilla.

I think HKS is very good.....

My Ride
    Probe

Hmm woudnt even have thought of HKS ... any one know the price range on the HKS model ?

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

I'm not a fan of it but the greddy type R is supposed to be top notch, would not leak past 40PSI, .

I have the blitz SS, it's good for 28PSI very loud 121db . I also have the turbo XS type H, it's not as loud as the blitz but the spring is wayyyy stronger 15-30PSI recomended, not good for a low PSI turbo/SC.

The apexi twin chamber is quieter 115db, you also can change the sound a bit. The HKS is good, but people complain about it being made out of plastic.

thise sound makers out of import tuner are probably prettyloud.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I have the Turbo XS H-34 which I'm running open loop with an RFL spring. The only differences between the H-34 and RFL are the spring, and the RFL has the "horn shape" on the end.
    The BOV is very loud, I would say reliabilty wise it is about average....You have to make sure it is oiled well etc.

IMO, if you don't mind spending the money for with the HKS SS. The Turbo XS only costs about $169 US, vs. $400+ US for the HKS BOV.
    I believe the greddy is around $250 US, and the Blitz about $320 US.

There are a bunch listed here:

http://www.3sxperformance.com/bovs.asp

and here:

http://www.dynamicracing.com/custome...b52f45c5f117a8
    Last edited by CLiVE; 12-12-2002 at 03:02 PM.

My Ride
    Probe

For those in the know
    I will step in here. This is my category.

On two turbocharged cars, (97 Talon, and 95 Probe GT) I have owned all of the following blow off valves: A'pexi twin chamber, Blitz Dual Drive SSBOV, GReddy type S, HKS Super Sequential (bullet style), and HKS Racing bypass valve.

On my talon, the bov was after the air meter, so venting to atmosphere yeilded less than desirable results, and effects my opinion of the bov. If you have the bov BEFORE the air flow meter, results can change dramatically.

The A'pexi had a very unique, air compressor sound. It was difficult to adjust and really wanted to go all or nothing, that means that half throttle above 4krpm was nearly impossible, especially when venting to atmosphere after the MAF. (On the Talon)

The GReddy Type S I believe is not fully closed at idle, meaning it might pull in air. That means that it can't vent to atmosphere if post MAF. The GReddy sounded midiocre... nothing spectacular, but it was smooth operating. I routed it back into the piping after the MAF, before the turbo on my Talon.

The HKS racing bypass valve was used only for a short time as a loaner while my Blitz was on order... I dont remember much except it is big and not loud.

The new Blitz Dual Drive, Super Sequential bov was one of the highest performers of all. The sound was very cool, quite loud, and came with a filter to supress the sound if needed. (I believe the older, horn style Blitz was supposed to be louder) This valve was one of the plug in and it works perfect... No tricky adjustment. It would pretty much operate correctly on its own. If you got into real extreme psi/cfm, it would probably require some adjusting....

Finally, my current valve, and all time favorite, the HKS Super Sequential bov, or SSQV. This is the bullet style valve and sounds like no other on the market. It is very loud, and the sound is so unique. It has this high pitch whistle that you can't immitate. This valve is an excellent performer, sounds amazing, and is a major head turner. Ask anybody at MMV... I did a couple passes causing a scene. It discharges smoothly, when you want it to. No uncontrolled bucking from early discharge... etc. Gets my big

Other valves I can put in my .02 about are the Turbo XS valves. I've played with one of them, and it was the most primative design I've ever seen. Literally a metal tube, and a spring that pushes a valve. If you want to adjust it, you stick in a washer. Pathetic. I could build this for far less than the $160 they charge. Just my opinion. anyone who disagrees, or have seen better models, feel free to chime in.

Also, apparently the XS-RFL is "really f**kin loud." get it? RFL?

and thanks for the help guys... But I am still completly stuck on what the fuck I am going to get ?!?!

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Originally posted by ConVict
    For those in the know
    I will step in here. This is my category.

Other valves I can put in my .02 about are the Turbo XS valves. I've played with one of them, and it was the most primative design I've ever seen. Literally a metal tube, and a spring that pushes a valve. If you want to adjust it, you stick in a washer. Pathetic. I could build this for far less than the $160 they charge. Just my opinion. anyone who disagrees, or have seen better models, feel free to chime in.

Also, apparently the XS-RFL is "really f**kin loud." get it? RFL?

and thanks for the help guys... But I am still completly stuck on what the fuck I am going to get ?!?!
    K if blow off valves are "your specialty" then why are you asking us anyway?

If you want the loudest get the turbonetics "Godzilla", then the RFL is also designed for loudness, it comes pretty close to the Godzilla. On the Japan side of the brands you listed the Blitz SS is the loudest.

I find it kind of funny that you make fun of the turbo XS type H, because of it's simplistic design. I hate to tell you that blow off valves are not complex engineering...air moves through pipe..open valve, valve fall down because no more air/or resistance to push it up. Less moving/mechanical parts=less wear.

My Ride
    I dont Drive

the hks SSBOV is the best hands down. its twin chamber reverse push pull design was made to completely relieve any possible chance of air leaking. and still the sweetest sound...

the link below explains bovs a little better and gives you the chance to choose one based on your applications. (it also has sound clips too)

http://www.alltrac.net/tuning/blowoffvalve.html

My Ride
    Probe

Originally posted by Hollywood

K if blow off valves are "your specialty" then why are you asking us anyway?
    Should have mentioned that I got that from another forum , then cut and pasted it

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I had the HKS SS on my civic, it was great...I dont know about handling 30 psi...you might want to think about the greddy type-r

My Ride
    Probe

But In most cases I will run rich with a blow off valve correct ?
    I like the sound, but performance wise a by pass vavle would be a mutch better way to go ... What should I do, I dont want to back fire every time I left off the gas...

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I read that a turbo XS is pretty sweet in a import mag, they put one in a talon with a boost controller and it didnt leak up to like 25 psi, and that was like there base model.

My Ride
    Rx7

Default Re: Whats the loudest, most Reliable Blow Off Valve ?

Originally posted by ConVict
    I want the loudest one possible...I want my 30psi to be Heard
    30psi and the 15 sec ET. Scary.

My Ride
    Probe

This is the FUTURE engine , buying parts for its completion

My Ride
    AP1

HKS SSQV is amazing. Had it installed on my Supra TT.
    A very unique sound, HKS quality, very nice design and finish.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Probe

Just heard a bunch of sound files of different Celica ALLTRAC's with greddy,blitz, and hks blow off valves on them...
    The blitz sounded the loudest not sure if they ahd the mic set up the same way in all the tests ( didnt sound like it )
    BUT MAN the sound of the HKS was so much more .. how can i say it... whistleir... but in a good way...
    the blitz just sounded like a fat guy with a lisp blowing really hard and the greddy didnt sound to bad . But going with the HKS for sure !
    thanks for the help guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast