Quantcast
white bread vs whole grain - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: white bread vs whole grain

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default white bread vs whole grain

i was wondering if white bread is really that bad for you. i really am not a fan of whole grain but since my dad's whole "get healthy" thing thats about the only kind of bread around here. any other recomendations besides whole grain that aren't quite as bad as white bread?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    TSX

i personally only eat whole grain bread myself and i'm starting to really hate it. my dad only buys that too. but yea white bread tastes so much better. ever try making french toast with whole grain? haha it's nasty. try wholewheat bread, i think that suppose to have good health benefits

My Ride
    1ST GEN

White bread is basically made up of Yeast, ENRICHED (bleached) flour, water, and oil. Not really any bad or worse for you than, I don't know, Styrofoam.
    Whole wheat is similar but does not use enriched flour as long as it is 100%. If it is not, stick with white if you perfer the flavor.
    Whole grain is Whole wheat with added grains which provide you with much needed fibre and protien. I like the flavor of Whole grain myself. My girlfriend hates it so we usually end up with white.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

The other downsides with white bread are is that you are eating empty carb calories - no different than eating sugar only in this case you're eating a pure starch.

White flour is missing the wheat germ (essentially the embryo of the wheat plant) and the bran (fibre). When you eat whole wheat bread you are getting the nutrients of the wheat germ and the fibre of the bran - both are important to your health.

Also, the bleaches used for making white flour are thought to increase your risk factor for diabetes.
    Last edited by 1badPT; 01-18-2005 at 06:22 PM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

so i'm guessing the "brown" bread sold at grocery stores just uses unbleached flower then?

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

It could be or it could be a mix of white and whole wheat flour. If its a mix, they'll usually say which percentage is whole wheat. Brands that use the whole grain will make a big deal out of it though, and will be labelled as whole wheat (no percentage in front).

white bread also has a higher glycimic index, that means that when u digest white bread it will yeild a lot more sugar....whole grain is the way to go!

White bread doesnt fil you up at all, it just absorbs whatever is in you stomach to begin with.
    then you just keep eating more and more, and get fat from it.
    I eat whole weat bread which tastes fine but fills me up faster.

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

No bread is the best bread.

Originally posted by awd
    No bread is the best bread.
    I completely disagree. A whole grain or multigrain bread is a VERY good source of carbs, fibre and other nutrients.

My Ride
    firebird

If you want a really good multi-grain bread that does not taste like ass, try Olafsuns (spelling) 12 grain bread. It is in a red bag and is very hard to find because it is fairly popular. I think IGA/Sobeys sells it....it is very tasty and not dry like other breads.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Originally posted by sputnik

I completely disagree. A whole grain or multigrain bread is a VERY good source of carbs, fibre and other nutrients.
    Exactly.

The same reason that people eat real oatmeal (Rolled oats, no sugar). Great for bulking.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    If you want a really good multi-grain bread that does not taste like ass, try Olafsuns (spelling) 12 grain bread. It is in a red bag and is very hard to find because it is fairly popular. I think IGA/Sobeys sells it....it is very tasty and not dry like other breads.
    sounds interesting, the dryness of brown/wholegrain is one of the biggest drawbacks for me, i'll have to check it out.

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Originally posted by sputnik

Oh, don't get me wrong -- WHOLE grain is a great source nutrients but the glycemic index for whole wheat and white bread are virtually identical (a few points lower than a glazed donut). This high glycemic index causes a sudden rise in blood sugar levels, and these are the ones that cause weight gain and cravings for more food.

I get my oats from pure, unrefined oatmeal -- again, IMHO, bread is bad news.

My Ride
    This and that.

I used to eat white bread before. But once I started eating the whole wheat, I liked the taste of it better too. I get the whole wheat bread with some sort of grains and other things in it. It costs little bit more than normal breads, but tastes good though.

My Ride
    You Crazy

If you eat more then a couple slices a day, make sure you get yeast free as well....

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by awd

Oh, don't get me wrong -- WHOLE grain is a great source nutrients but the glycemic index for whole wheat and white bread are virtually identical (a few points lower than a glazed donut). This high glycemic index causes a sudden rise in blood sugar levels, and these are the ones that cause weight gain and cravings for more food.

whole wheat and whole grain are not the same

Originally posted by awd

Are you on the Atkins diet or a diabetic?

A high glycemic index doesnt cause weigh gain. It causes an insulin spike which can lead to a false sense of hunger. Bread is only bad if you eat everytime you are hungry. A high GI isnt bad, if you know how to control your eating habits. Weight gain is caused by calories and calories alone. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more than you consume you lose weight. Its that simple.

The glycemic index is only valid to those that are diabetic so that they how how "complex" their carbohydrates are so they will know the patterns of their blood sugar levels. Lately people who are on Atkins (the worst diet ever conceived IMO) use GI to determine "better" and "worse" carbs.

Count calories and you dont have to worry about what bread you eat when losing weight. Eat whole grain/wheat bread to make sure you get enough fibre so that you can crap regularily and not get colon cancer.

Originally posted by Toma
    If you eat more then a couple slices a day, make sure you get yeast free as well....
    Why yeast free?

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

I'm interested to hear that as well...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast