Quantcast
Futureshop Warranty Plan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Futureshop Warranty Plan

Default Futureshop Warranty Plan

Hi

I'm just wondering how does the futureshop extend warranty plan work?

I got a 15gb 3rd ipod which the battery doesn't last 8 hrs anymore. If i bring it to futureshop will they replace battery or just replace ipod?

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

neither... batteries aren't covered under the warranty. It's a consumable item. (and yes I have an ipod)

what good is having the extend warranty then?

Hey well i have a 4thgen 40gb iPod which i got factory direct where if you registerd your iPod you can just send it in and they will send you a completly new one. Now my bro and a couple of my friends have iPods from futureshop and if the battery is now good its usally better if they send you a new one that replacing the battery cause it can cost about 200$ and then it really isn't worth there time. Bring it in and see what the guys at futureshop say about it but if ya get nothin from them then give apple and e-mail and take it from there

P.S. no offense to anyone but the futureshop and other electronic warranties and pointless if you ask me

Originally posted by Mans_Van
    Hey well i have a 4thgen 40gb iPod which i got factory direct where if you registerd your iPod you can just send it in and they will send you a completly new one. Now my bro and a couple of my friends have iPods from futureshop and if the battery is now good its usally better if they send you a new one that replacing the battery cause it can cost about 200$ and then it really isn't worth there time. Bring it in and see what the guys at futureshop say about it but if ya get nothin from them then give apple and e-mail and take it from there

P.S. no offense to anyone but the futureshop and other electronic warranties and pointless if you ask me
    Ok. I went to futureshop today. I told the person that my ipod battery doesn't last 8hrs anymore and they said we can replace the battery after the first year of warranty expires from apple. I asked if they should just replace the ipod and they said no we'll just replace battery.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Go to another Future Shop and tell them that your IPOD works intermitanetly (sp?). Or tell them it hardly works when you're transferring files to it and then they should be able to replace it under their warranty.

Or you could buy a new one and then return the old one in the box that you got the new one in.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by Ajay
    Or you could buy a new one and then return the old one in the box that you got the new one in.
    Great advice.....why doesn't he just steal one instead?

My Ride
    2000 Ford Mustang

Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
    neither... batteries aren't covered under the warranty. It's a consumable item. (and yes I have an ipod)
    with futureshop or best buy performance service plans ipod batteries are covered, cause u need special tools to access it, so they don't consider it a consumable

2000 Ford Mustang

My Ride
    IS250

Ya i was wondering the same thing actually
    Im assuming my battery will die in me in about 6 months here

My Ride
    Subaru(s)

I have had nightmares with Futureshop warranty. Some of the sales will say anything to get a sale.
    I would stick with apples warranty.

/me hates FS
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Rule of thumb, if you doubt anything, look for it in writing. Don't get a sales guy to put anything in writing because as a sales person I could write you have warranty until 2020, but it doesn't mean you actually do

If you still arent comfortable, don't buy the extended warranty. They are provided for peace of mind, so if you feel pressured or just don't think you need it, then don't buy it. Buyers remorse on the actual product is bad enough, you don't need it on the additional services on top of the product.
    ---

I called futureshop warranty department today and they couldn't give me an definitive answer. All she said was that if it was a consumable item then it's NOT covered. I then said that it's not a consumable item because I can't just get another battery off the shelves. Then she folded and said it was covered then. So, I think I'm wrong and that it is covered. Call for yourself and see what answer you get 1-800-663-2275

Originally posted by AznDragon2004

Ok. I went to futureshop today. I told the person that my ipod battery doesn't last 8hrs anymore and they said we can replace the battery after the first year of warranty expires from apple. I asked if they should just replace the ipod and they said no we'll just replace battery.
    Why would you expect a new iPod if you clearly said that it was just the battery that was causing the problem?

Originally posted by sputnik

Why would you expect a new iPod if you clearly said that it was just the battery that was causing the problem?
    It will be alot cheaper to just replace Ipod then having to waste time and money to replace battery.

It will be alot cheaper to just replace Ipod then having to waste time and money to replace battery.
    Unless your ipod was less than $100, I don't see how it would be cheaper to replace the ipod.
    ---

Here is the downlow on extended warranties.
    The extended warranty will cover basically everything the manufacturer warranty covers.

With Ipods, Apple considers the unit defective if the battery life goes below 1/2 of the claimed value. So if on a full charge, not using backlight, fast forwarding or accessories your Ipod lasts less than 3 hours and 59 minutes then you qualify for manufacturers warranty. Since the battery is covered by Apple under this guarantee during the first year (first 6 months free shipping, second 6 months $48US for shipping), the extended warranty will also cover the battery UNDER THE SAME PRINCIPLE DEFINITION OF DEFECTIVE. Under the extended warranty you shouldnt have to pay shipping either. For retail electronics Apple and Ipods are one of the worst products for warranty/returns. Hence why no one seems to know a lot about them...

-D

My Ride
    '02 Toyota Qualis

You can buy the Applecare service plan for $70.

It covers the battery for an additional year, and gives you a year of phone support from Apple.

Or else if its after warranty, u can purchase a replacement battery from ebay for like less than $20, and search for an online tutorial on how to replace it yourself.

Just curious. Can i buy futureshop extended warranty after i bought ipod? LIke can i go back to futureshop and buy the plan with no receipt but ipod has never been open.

Just curious. Can i buy futureshop extended warranty after i bought ipod? LIke can i go back to futureshop and buy the plan with no receipt but ipod has never been open.
    I am not a FS expert... But I will give you a few options.
    There are two types of service plans. One which is a Date of Purchase plan. Usually any type of "swap" warranty will be a DOP plan in which you need to purchase at the time of the unit purchase. The warranty and the item need to be on the same receipt.
    The second type of warranty is a repair warranty. This can usually be applied after the date of perchase and separate from the original receipt. You will usually 9/10 times be required to provide the original POP (Proof of Purchase) with the unit's serial number and original purchase price on it to allow it to be covered.

This is standard with most companies which provide warranty carrier programs to electronics retailers/wholesalers.

-D

My Ride
    2001 Honda Civic Si; 06 Mazda 3 GT

Typically, batteries are NOT covered by any sort of warranty, manufacturer or retailer-extended, due to the fact that they ARE consumable items that can be replaced easily by the purchaser. However, in instances where the battery is an INTERNAL component which REQUIRES disassembly of the unit, which VOIDS the warranty if you take it apart yourself, then despite the fact that it's a consumable, it will be covered simply for the fact that you can't get access to it easily and that you require special tools or tech know-how to go about replacing it. I don't have personal experiences with Ipods, but if the battery is buried inside and you can't get to it, then it SHOULD be covered by warranty. In your case however, AznDragon2004, since you don't have the original receipt, the warranty can not be dated as to where it should begin cuz you have no proof of when you first bought it, regardless of whether or not it has been opened. You could have bought it elsewhere, but you can't prove it either way. Moreover, even if you still had the receipt, the window of opportunity to purchase a service plan is only 14 days after date of purchase.

And that's IF you they give you a window. On smaller ticket items like a DVD player, MP3 player, computer peripheral, etc. they'll give you that 2 week window. On bigger ticket items like Ipods, computers, laptops, LCD monitors, big screen TVs, Camcorders, Digicams, etc. you usually have to buy it the same day so that the retailer can protect themselves from fraud. For example, say you buy a laptop with no warranty, then since you liked it so much and told all your friends and family about your new toy that you got a friend interested, they go out and get the exact same one you got. If they gave a window on the service plan, and one of you decides to change their mind and goes back to get it, here's what happens: since the receipt for the warranty is on a separate receipt than the laptop, if the OTHER guy had a problem with his laptop, he could go back to the guy that DOES have warranty, ask him to bring in the OTHER laptop to get serviced and pretend it's his instead. Which of course, isn't fair to them, right? That's why most retailers won't let you have a window on deciding whether or not you want it. It's either you get it then or you never will cuz they can't afford to take that chance. You can ask what about serial numbers? By the recent privacy legislations that the government has put in place, personal information that can be used to track an individual may not be recorded unless that information has a legitimate purpose such as delivery of an item, insurance or warranty purposes, as well as any other legal reasons. Therefore, serial numbers are not tracked if you don't buy warranty on a product, which means that time-windows to change your mind on warranty don't usually exist, cuz even if they did, there's no way for the retailer to track it cuz if you happen to have bought the same thing elsewhere or if it was stolen, neither they or you can prove that.

If you need to learn more about it, refer to this post:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=74079

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast