Quantcast
Laptop Warranty - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Laptop Warranty

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza (White)

Default Laptop Warranty

So i was wondering if I buy the laptop from future shop are you allowed to buy the warranty from the manufacturer instead from future shop.......

Becasue i heard the warranty at future shop suxs ass and the toshiba manufactuer warranty covers accidents and Futures shop doesn't...

WHich warranty do you think i should get... FUture shop or Manufacturer

Oh its a toshiba laptop.....

warranty at future shop is 399.00
    Toshiba system guard for 3 years is 425.00

My Ride
    MKIII VR6 GTi, 08 Si Coupe

maybe check with compusmart for that one, their warranty is good and they are certified to fix toshiba's right there. no sending your laptop away to get repaired. That and they also have scre3en protection there, which no manufacturer will give you

My Ride
    19 GLI

and in a year or maybe less when they go bankrupt you will have no warranty good advice

My Ride
    Audi

In the western world, Toshiba uses authorized service centres in each major city. I know in Calgary it's metafore. You can get a list of authorized service centres within Calgary off of www.toshiba.ca.

Edit: I just posted in another thread the dealer cost of the warranty from toshiba. as well as the links to the toshiba warranty guidelines.
    Last edited by hampstor; 02-17-2005 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride
    2001 Honda Civic Si; 06 Mazda 3 GT

I'd be wary of that "accident" clause of Toshiba's System Guard if I were you. The defining lines between accident and abuse are so blurred and open-ended for interpretation that there's no definitive way to differentiate the two. You could "accidentally" drop it or "accidentally" spill coffee on it.... how can you prove that you didn't do it deliberately and try to take advantage of the clause. For that matter, how can the manufacturer prove it was determined to be abuse if the problem really was in fact the result of an actual accident. In the end, policies like that will only draw out the matter longer and longer with customer and manufacturer going back and forth endlessly trying to prove/disprove one another and meanwhile, nothing gets resolved. Accidental coverage may seem like a good deal for just an extra $25, but that clause will cause you nothing but grief later on if you try to take advantage of it, so for everything else, if Toshiba's warranty is every bit as comprehensive as Future Shop's (which is a pretty thick list actually), then stick with FS and save yourself a few bucks.

One thing that you should be aware of is that no matter the manufacturer, none of those companies will ever offer you a true replacement guarantee like FS does. Most manufacturers, if not all, claim they will continue to produce the parts and components for any given laptop for a maximum of 5 years after that model has been discontinued. Therefore, a replacement will never be deemed to be necessary by the manufacturer since they will continue to fix it and fix it again, no matter how many times you have to send it back to them to have it serviced, even if it means to strip it inside-out and totally rebuild the unit. That may seem nice sure, but by about the 5th time you've had to send it in for work, you'll probably start getting a little pissed off and wonder why the hell does your laptop keep having problems, right? After the 8th time you send it in (keep in mind you're responsible for paying all these shipping charges to get it sent to them each and every single time) you're going to think, it's pretty bad service of them to not just give me a new one instead since it's been in the service depot for longer than it's been in my house. You know what though? They don't care. The excuse is that, "oh we understand, but be patient - the point is that we can still fix it, it'll be ok" meaning they won't give you a newer laptop cuz that would cost them more money. That's what sets the FS coverage apart from manufacturer - under FS service, if it's too expensive to fix/takes too long to fix/turns out to be a lemon and requires more than 3 hardware repairs, than you get a new one equal in performance or better. Chances are, just the way computers progress at least, you're going to end up with a newer computer that will be more powerful than the one you bought orginally.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza (White)

Hey i was wondering does anyone know if Future shop warranty covers laptop that is malfuntioning because it was left out in the cold???

Or if the laptop overheats