Quantcast
mazda RX7 FD3s - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: mazda RX7 FD3s

Default mazda RX7 FD3s

i really like the 3rd gen RX7 but i've heard rotary engines are a real pain in the ass to maintain... and aren't that reliable. what does everyone think of the RX7 and rotary engines?

mmm... RX7

My Ride
    nothing anymore

My brother has one: http://www.cardomain.com/id/aspirerx7

Yeah, rotary engines are a beyotch. Constantly blowing apex seals and the such. The old Turbo II's are awesome, though.
    I want an M3.

I've owned two 87's, and I never had a problem with the engines in either. The one thing I saw in both is the standard problem with leaky fuel injectors, hence the fuel pump cutoff switches I had installed on both (often touted as "security options" when you check them out in dealerships or private sales).

Awesome cars, definitely the best handling car short of spending 30 grand. The last one I had (that I traded in for my lude) had 280000 km on it was still going strong, altho the logicon, power windows, exhaust and everything EXCEPT the engine was dead.

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

what does everyone think of the RX7 and rotary engines?
    I think they are the only way to go......but my opinions probly a litte biased.

Rotary's aren't necesarily bad engines. N/A enigines are very reliable, only 3 moving parts as compared to a piston engine. Second gen turbo II's aren't to bad either. It was just mainly the FD with its sequential turbos's that had problems. With properly tuned single turbo upgrades they can be fairly relaible. FD's are definetly one of the nicest body's ever made though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ecstasyracer; 01-03-2003 at 12:16 AM.

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

Don't forget about the 1st generations rx-7's either. With a little work they can look really good. And they are light too. Mine is a real blast to drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

true u gotta pay more attention and apply more effort into the enigine but the payoff is worth it
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

Originally posted by ecstasyracer

Rotary's aren't necesarily bad engines. N/A enigines are very reliable, only 3 moving parts as compared to a piston engine. Second gen turbo II's aren't to bad either. It was just mainly the FD with its sequential turbos's that had problems. With properly tuned single turbo upgrades they can be fairly relaible. FD's are definetly one of the nicest body's ever made though.
    well said
    Finnicky cars, but definetely fun.
    Oh..and you forgot about the viper-like gas consumption of the 3rd gens.

My Ride
    95' Mustang GT

the best anolagy I have heard about Rotary's is

They are the woman of the car world... with a some good TLC they will put out.

Must...Kill...Cones....

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

The 3rd gen cars have an extremely well developed chassis, very rigid and well designed. Suspension geometery makes handling extremely good, the only real weak point is the sequential twin turbo rotary. The older RX-7s with normally aspirated motors are well known for being extremely reliable as long as the cooling system is maintained. Heat is the biggest enemy of rotary engines, but its nothing that can't be conquered wtih some intelligent upgrades to preserve the life of the car.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

i heard their pretty hard to maintain and if something goes wrong, it takes a while to get it fixed because its a different type of engine.
    the mechanics have to know the engine well and how it works real well or it wont be fixed the right way.
    it took a long time to make it perfect, so other manufacturers didnt make it because they thought it wouldnt sell and takes too long to design and test.

but i think the rotary is an awesome engine. i love the sound and its really small and compact.

My Ride
    2007 Impreza Wagon

Originally posted by ecstasyracer
    FD's are definetly one of the nicest body's ever made though.

My Ride
    AP1

I've owned an FD.... Really sleek looking car and the handling is spot on. If you were going to buy one, I would probably buy one with a blown engine and have RX-7 Specialities build you a new engine with 3MM Apex Seals & a Port & Polish. The 3MM seals can withstand more abuse, but honestly if you properly tune the engine it will be reliable.
    You do have to pay more attention to the rotary then a normal cylinder engine, maintenance costs can be quite $bling$ too.
    Actually there is a "Reliability Mod List" you should do to a stock FD, this usually includes Downpipe, Radiator, Intercooler. This is because Stock FD cooling system is ineffective in hot weather especially if your at a track day.
    Anyways I'll stop talking, all in all get a Blowmotor 7 get a Rebuild done you'll have a reliable 7 for under $22K CDN.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

i was thinking of getting one with low mileage but rebuilt engine would probably be just as good. i want a car i don't have to go crazy on mods.... don't know if i'll get a RX7. if i was i'll probably just do the "Reliability Mod List" and suspension and leave it at that.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

My neighbour has one.. Hella sweet car.. he had it in the shop for a long time though.. something to do with the turbo timing.. I think about 2 months.. I dont think there are any mechanics in town that are mazda authorized to work on the FD;s turbo..

If you get one, I say go single.
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

There have been many horror stories of mazda dealers recking the turbo's or charging for new turbo's when it was a very simple and cheap problem. So basically don't take an FD to Mazda becuase they don't know anything about them generally.

Originally posted by importadrenelin
    I would probably buy one with a blown engine and have RX-7 Specialities build you a new engine with 3MM Apex Seals & a Port & Polish. The 3MM seals can withstand more abuse,
    I would suggest doing ALOT more research on the 3mm seal issue before going with it. They don't seal nearly as well, and how could you accurately machine a new groove to accept 3mm seals without blue printing the rotor first. The seals on the rotor have very little room for error, playing around with their dimensions is a bad idea if you ask me. I think you'll find that the world of the rotary motor is filled with much more nonsense and misunderstanding than that of the piston world. There are plenty of really high horsepower rotaries running 2mm seals. Are rotaries less reliable? I would say the turbo's probably are, it's hard to say though with no real stats being taken on the subject. The n/a's seem to be just find. The RX-7 and the rotary motor appeal to a certain crowd, it has something to do with the desire to be a little different.

Cheers
    Graham

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I've heard they're hard to maintain but I'd buy one just because they look sweet as hell and then I could get a license plate saying "Wankel"

My Ride
    AP1

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I would suggest doing ALOT more research on the 3mm seal issue before going with it. They don't seal nearly as well, and how could you accurately machine a new groove to accept 3mm seals without blue printing the rotor first. The seals on the rotor have very little room for error, playing around with their dimensions is a bad idea if you ask me. Cheers
    Graham
    You are correct, BUT really good 2MM seals are expensive, I was going to add 2MM Seals made by a very good company, I can't think of the name off the top of my head but those seals were hella expensive. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say thicker is better, but for the price and value 3MM are still good choices, if you have more money to spend on seals then get the Andretti 2MM Seals, I think thats the name of the company...

My Ride
    GTI

3rd gen RX-7 is one of my fave cars ever, for under 80g's there's is absolutely nothing I'd rather have.

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

The rx7's are sweet, all three generations of them! Everyone is right, the third are harder to maintain because of the turbo system, but if you ahve time and money you can have one the sweetest rides around!

I have first gen 7 that i think is great, I can drive it easily in the winter, and drive it hard in the summer and havne't had any real problems with mine. Mine leaks some oil and thats it. I have a few friends with 2nd gen turbos' and n/as and they're all awesome, very powerful considering they don't have pistons and are either 1.1L 12A or a 1.3L 13B rotary motor! I also have a couple of friends with 3rd gen cars, one is stock, one is moded from body to engine, and one has the engine done up quite nice. They all run good times at the track.

Maintanence, buy a shop manual or haynes manual and do some reading on the engine, it is different and I would never again take my rotor motor to see a mechanic at the Mazda dealer... they're all full of SHIT and probably don't understand that there are no pistons in that motor. The key to keeping it in pristine order is finding someone who knows rotary engines and allowing them to work on the car. Each car is a little different and you must get to know your car so you don't get screwed on the servicing. The main thing I'd say if you're buying a clean daily driver and not one you are going to modify to extremes is always check the oil, they are known to burn it off a little faster than some cars

As for reliability, I've found mine to be reliable... I've never filled out my cold start tank so I've had problems starting em in the winter... but once they're going they're great... Most people don't drive their cars in the winter either so it shouldn't be a problem. They'll usually start pretty quick and tend to be reliable on long distance trips, my first gen will cruise to redeer at 130-140 with no problems at all (I say redeer cause that's as far as I've gone with it...)

If you need some more information check out www.rx7club.com It's a rotary powered forum For all the wankel heads out there.k
    MK7 Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast