Quantcast
Is replacing strut mounts difficult? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is replacing strut mounts difficult?

My Ride
    1998 Ford Crown Victoria

Default Is replacing strut mounts difficult?

I've got a broken left-rear strut mount on my 1995 Olds Ninety-Eight. They're not coil-overs, the struts are outside the springs. How difficult is it to replace this?
    Last edited by Aegis; 04-14-2005 at 06:16 PM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

If it's anything like mine, it should just be bolts on the top and bolts on the bottom, with the mounts wedged between the shock and the body. ie. easy.

My Ride
    92SiR, 05B5G, 89KA24

its easy, just remember to spray it down with some nut buster or wd40, if it wont budge, dont be afraid to heat it with a torch, you dont wanna pay straight time for a broken bolt at a shop

My Ride
    1998 Ford Crown Victoria

It's done! Hehe, I needed some positive reinforcement before jumping in.

Now for some happy recapping...The following is completely unnecessary...just an anecdote.

The car starts a *major oil leak* drip..drip..drip..drip.., so I head over to Midas ask'em what's wrong...(at this time, there was no sound coming from the strut, no indication that the mount was bad)...I sit in the lobby, they get to giving me an estimate. They take me out there, and find two oil leaks...one is the oil sender unit (the major one), the other is the in the lower intake gasket & valve(s). And then the show me the broken strut mount. They say I probably should've heard something, I replied, "I probably did, and didn't know it was bad." They said both the mount & the strut should be replaced, as well as the oil sender unit, and the gaskets & valves should be replaced as well, but weren't dire. At $400-something, that was an impossiblity. They had the strut, mount, & oil sender + labor at ~$300. I told'em I'll have to drop it off in the morning, as I had no way of getting home otherwise.

After pulling out on the road, I sure as hell heard the strut scraping around...perhaps the mount was ready to go, and putting it up on the lift was the straw that broke the camel's back, but it sure as hell didn't make noise like that before going on the lift.

For the happy ending, I went to Murray's, bought a replacment oil sender & strut mount, popped on here for a few words of encouragement, and got them both replaced and my car running again for a grand total of $37. I don't feel bad at all for Midas doing that estimate...they wanted $150 for a new strut, when the old one was fine...no fluid anywhere, hell, the rubber "sock" for lack of a better term, was still fully intact, and upon replacing the mount, the thing sits as evenly as the ground under it.

I am a happy camper.
    Last edited by Aegis; 04-15-2005 at 06:14 PM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Aegis
    It's done! Hehe, I needed some positive reinforcement before jumping in.

Now for some happy recapping...The following is completely unnecessary...just an anecdote.

The car starts a *major oil leak* drip..drip..drip..drip.., so I head over to Midas ask'em what's wrong...(at this time, there was no sound coming from the strut, no indication that the mount was bad)...I sit in the lobby, they get to giving me an estimate. They take me out there, and find two oil leaks...one is the oil sender unit (the major one), the other is the in the lower intake gasket & valve(s). And then the show me the broken strut mount. They say I probably should've heard something, I replied, "I probably did, and didn't know it was bad." They said both the mount & the strut should be replaced, as well as the oil sender unit, and the gaskets & valves should be replaced as well, but weren't dire. At $400-something, that was an impossiblity. They had the strut, mount, & oil sender + labor at ~$300. I told'em I'll have to drop it off in the morning, as I had no way of getting home otherwise.

After pulling out on the road, I sure as hell heard the strut scraping around...perhaps the mount was ready to go, and putting it up on the lift was the straw that broke the camel's back, but it sure as hell didn't make noise like that before going on the lift.

For the happy ending, I went to Murray's, bought a replacment oil sender & strut mount, popped on here for a few words of encouragement, and got them both replaced and my car running again for a grand total of $37. I don't feel bad at all for Midas doing that estimate...they wanted $150 for a new strut, when the old one was fine...no fluid anywhere, hell, the rubber "sock" for lack of a better term, was still fully intact, and upon replacing the mount, the thing sits as evenly as the ground under it.

I am a happy camper.
    That's awesome! BTW, it's called a "boot" so "sock" is pretty close haha.