Quantcast
NSX - R Wins Evo's COTY - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: NSX - R Wins Evo's COTY

Default NSX - R Wins Evo's COTY

Yep, our beloved NSX-R has taken evo's COTY (Car of The Year) award for 2002. Even against the 575M Fiorano, 911 Carrera C4S, and SL55 AMG, the NSX-R was ranked the best driver's car for 2002.

Final results:
    NSX-R - 93.5
    Porsche 911 C4S - 92.9
    Ferrari 575M 'Fiorano' - 88.6
    Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG - 86.9
    Lotus Elise 111S - 85.1
    Mini Cooper S - 84.9
    Mitsubish Lancer EVO VII FQ-300 - 82.7
    Nissan 350Z - 81.8
    Renault Sport Clio Cup - 81.3
    Jaguar XKR-R - 79.7
    Subaru Impreza STi PPP - 78.4
    Ford Focus RS - 76.0

Here are some excerpts:

No time to dwell on the details -- just get comfy, turn the key and go. But boy, what a fierce noise, and what a direct, mechanical-feeling gearchange, and whoa! what heavy steering

You just can't believe this is the same output as the Nissan [350Z], and the way it builds and builds while all the time the engine note swells, flattens and eventually lets rip with full-blooded howl is quite intoxicating.

All of which leaves the NSX-R and C4S. The Porsche's balance, traction and poise are sublime (although it can understeer in the the wet), the brakes firm and tireless. For such a well-judged, road-biased car it makes a great track car. But even the C4S bows to the NSX-R, as Barker explains.
    'Even in the wet you can work the NSX-R hard. The front scrubs wide first, as it should, and if you squeeze a bit more power in, the tail arcs out gently, and is easily caught and gathered up again. You don't expect this sort of poise with such a stiff, mid-engined car on such dry-weather-biased rubber. In the dry, it's simply stunning. It's so easy to drive it over the limit yet feel you're not over-driving it. There's so much grip, so much progression, so little feeling that there's a weighty mid-mounted engine trying to dictate proceedings. You rarely want for any more power, a sure sign that it's a superbly well-judged dynamic package.'

There's a constant stream of messages coming through the wheel as the tyres turn, grip, slither, patter, grip again... Of all the cars here, only the Elise comes close. The same directness is there in the throttle response, and there's a real touch of savagery to the way the engine pulls now, getting an extra kick at 4000rpm and then sustaining the rush all the way to 8000rpm. By which time the V6's urgent voice has compressed from nape-prickling howl to teeth-tingling blare.

The last word goes to Hayman, who drove it up to Wales: 'I shouldn't really like the NSX,' he says. 'I sat in it for six hours on my way up here -- including motorways, traffic jams, no sound deadening and no radio. It was intense but it was, and is, utterly superb. Anyone who's still not sure what we're talking about when we bang on about evoness should just drive this car.'
    Bay Area Dreamin'
    Cruisin' in Cowtown
    10' IS F

Wow! The 350Z and the Mini Cooper scored fairly well.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

even though I like the cooper, I think that it and the focus are a little out of their league....I dont know what the RS stands for...probably like a total ass kicker and I'm going to look stupid but comon....the best "driver car" and the ferrari is only 4 point out of a hundred better than a mini...ohh well. Steve.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

so thats why they havent changed it for over a decade...

The Focus RS is the European turbocharged version of the hatchback. I think it's in the 230-260HP range....

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Ford_E...htm#Focus%20RS

That's what a Ford Focus RS is (review).

The NSX R Is no doubt very fast and balanced. But it seems..boring.. hmm. It even has good vision out of the car, which I am picky about.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by syeve
    even though I like the cooper, I think that it and the focus are a little out of their league....I dont know what the RS stands for...probably like a total ass kicker and I'm going to look stupid but comon....the best "driver car" and the ferrari is only 4 point out of a hundred better than a mini...ohh well. Steve.
    Nobody says car of the year has to be an exotic or anything. Evo generally makes their picks on cars that are well built and fun to drive. It's a testament to how good some of the smaller cars like the focus and impreza are that they consistently show up on these types of lists, even if they don't always win.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

...all the way to 8000rpm, By which time the V6's urgent voice has compressed from nape-prickling howl to a teeth-tingling blare...
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    2002 Mercedes C230 Kompressor

I'm not sure how the NSX-R drives......
    but I think everyone should go and drive a normal NSX at least once.... those cars drives awesome... the 'feel' and handling are excellent.... as well as the sound of the engine too...

on par with the 911 in my books (but doesn't 'feel' like it has the accelerative thrust of the 911 though).... except I think they look kinda outdated now... and they cost 20K+ more than a 911 if both cars were purchased brand new.

I wonder if Honda will ever sell the NSX-R in North America... most likely not I think.

I wonder why they choosed a 911C4S or the Ferrari 575M for this comparison rather than say ... a normal 911C2 or 911 GT3 (this is they Type-R model of Porsches) or the Ferrari 360 Modena

I can't believed they like the Mini Cooper S over the 350Z, EVO, and the STi... each to their own I guess....

oh.. where was the M3...???

No Z06 either..... (they do sell Corvettes in Europe)

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

I'm fairly sure that Mini Coopers are EXTREMELY Fun to drive. Low weight and responsive steering is a guaranteed winner in any place with turns.

My Ride
    2007 Impreza Wagon

wow! the Cooper S beat the 350 Z
    love the new mini's

i would like to drive any of those cars anything.
    it would probably be a blast to drive one even for 10 min