Quantcast
Coilover Install Problems!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Coilover Install Problems!!

My Ride
    4dr Beater Turbo'd Sleeper

Default Coilover Install Problems!!

Hey guys.. I need some help. So far on a 4th gen civic hatch, I've done all sides EXCEPT the front drivers side. I'm trying to install aftermarket coilovers, and the very last thing to do is to take off the stock spring from the shock. I know how to take it off, but it seems that the srut is stuck to the bolt at the top. So whenever i try to remove the bolt, the whole thing turns. We've tried using an allen key and a box end wrench, and a fairly "torquey" impact gun, and yet still nothing works. Can ANYONE help me with this. Literally the last thing until i can finish the damn project lol..

Thanks guys..

k if I understand what your saying....

Slide the boot of the strut down and clamp a set of vicegrips in nice and tight, closer to the top, then hold that, turn the bolt, with the allen key in.

You could also try some penetrating lube on the bolt/allen key and leave it for a night, then try again.

My Ride
    335i

Grab the dustcap with a wrench, and use the allen key to stop the top from turning.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
    k if I understand what your saying....

Slide the boot of the strut down and clamp a set of vicegrips in nice and tight, closer to the top, then hold that, turn the bolt, with the allen key in.

You could also try some penetrating lube on the bolt/allen key and leave it for a night, then try again.
    If i understand u right. U say, grab the actual strut part (that goes in and out) with a vicegrip?: if so, u can sometimes, stratch the strut, which will then pull oil out of the strut assembly, therefore blowing it within a few hundred k.

Weaponr is right. take a wrench around the top bolt, and put an allen key in the top. Might be on there pretty good, but thats how ur suppose to remove it

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

Originally posted by ryder_23

If i understand u right. U say, grab the actual strut part (that goes in and out) with a vicegrip?: if so, u can sometimes, stratch the strut, which will then pull oil out of the strut assembly, therefore blowing it within a few hundred k.

Weaponr is right. take a wrench around the top bolt, and put an allen key in the top. Might be on there pretty good, but thats how ur suppose to remove it
    Yup

My Ride
    Unicycle

yah you dont want to put a vise grip on he bar that goes in the strut or whtever.. i did that to mine and a few days later its gone and needed to repalce.

if you round your allan key whole then u are screwed...lol
    but use a impact gun thats whats i use now and it works pretty good for me...

meh i could be wrong...

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Thats pretty strange that it wouldn't come out despite using air tools. And using an allan key should work also.. just do what everyone else has suggested.. maybe sure the assembly is properly constrained when doing this. Have you tried stepping on the upper mount when you try to loosen it?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Hell if you can't get it apart why not take the excuse and upgrade everything at the same time?