Quantcast
Info on Mitsubishi Eclipse - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Info on Mitsubishi Eclipse

My Ride
    84 Pontiac Fiero

Question Info on Mitsubishi Eclipse

Well, my baby (84 Fiero SE) just died. Catastrophic clutch failure. I decided it's about time for a new car so right now I'm looking at a 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with the 2.0 liter DOHC and a 5-speed. The main question is the mileage. It has about 125,000 on it and I'm wondering if I should think twice about buying something with that many miles on it. Is there anything I should really watch out for? I didn't get a chance to drive it yet, but I started it up at -5 degrees and it had been sitting there a week and it started right up and ran fine. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

My Ride
    Dakota ... what? Yes, I know its a truck.

try
    www.dsmtuners.com
    www.dsm.org

umm .. there's a few others that I forget. There's some good DSM boys on here though that could help you out better... my suggestion .. get the TSi AWD version .. .er, that's the GSX for eclipses.
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You won't be paying much more (other than insurance) for a turbo AWD model. You'll get way more enjoyment (and mod availability) with the turbo.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    335i

Get the turbo or get something else.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    84 Pontiac Fiero

I would get a turbo if (1) I could find one in the area fast (I need a car pretty soon for school, I can't keep bumming rides) and (2) if I could be assured that the turbo wouldn't go out on it for another 20,000 miles. I don't have the money to buy a car then to go buy a turbo for it right away.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by 84fiero4speed
    I would get a turbo if (1) I could find one in the area fast (I need a car pretty soon for school, I can't keep bumming rides) and (2) if I could be assured that the turbo wouldn't go out on it for another 20,000 miles. I don't have the money to buy a car then to go buy a turbo for it right away.
    Then consider a new car. Those cars aren't the greatest if all you need is a daily driver. Unless you throw in the AWD turbo, the fun factor is pretty much spent up and you are left with a NA car. Spring for an import if reliability is your concern.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

I used a NT Laser for 2+ years, 150kms a day for commuting to school. Car was problem free, I picked it up at 110K and it was at 180K when I sold it.
    These cars are very strong (and the motor is mitsubishi so I'm considering it an import). The only time you have reliability problems is from maintenance that is left untouched or lots of mods and endless bagging.
    Do the usual inspection and shake down and you'll be fine. It's just another car.

For the AWD model the motor/turbo are bullet proof. But I would make sure to check very closely the transaxle, front axles, and rear diff.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I heard the tranny is not very good, but I could be wrong.
    http://www.polepositionproducts.com

Of course, I must suggest you stop by and visit DSMtalk for all the info. you need.

And always get a potential used car purchase checked out by a mechanic to make sure it's sound before buying...