Quantcast
Protein bars..junk food or good for you - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Protein bars..junk food or good for you

Default Protein bars..junk food or good for you

a lot of ppl are saying that protein bars are just useless(junk food)....are they important if you wanna gain size or are they junk for ur body

I've read that they are ok as a meal replacement if you can't get a real meal, but most of their carbs come from simple sugars - which might explain why you've heard they are 'junk food.'

Same with shakes. A real, balanced meal is preferable in all cases, but not always easy to get if you're on the go....

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

alot of people think that using energy bars will magically make them loose weight... there are meal replacement bars and energy bars...energy bars are loaded with carbs and calories to provide energy to your muscles and energy when you are working out or doing any kind of physical activity.. but if you eat energy bars and lay on your couch, the sugars that you dont burn off turn to fat..so basically they become junk food...but when used properly they can add muscle and mass to your body.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Civic

Protien Bars are a waste of money, any kind of them, because the amount of bars you have to consume before gaining sufficent weight will cost you in the hundreds of dollars. Buy a good Protien Shake if you want to gain wieght, dont listen to peopl at GNC who will tell you to buy this or that, go in and buy a straight Protien Drink. I used Mega MRD or some shit, and it worked eextremely well, with one bottle i gained 5 pounds. That is with workign out daily etc.

Dont get fooled with Protien Bars.
    C-23-H

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Depends on what you are looking for (like everything really). A balanced meal is generally better for you. If you are looking for high protein and next to no carbs or fats you are likely better off going for one of the powdered shakes.

I wouldn't buy a protein bar with less than 20g of protein. I would prefer closer to 30 but those can be hard to find. It is worth checking the ingredients of each as well. Look at how many carbs and fats they contain and if it fits with your diet plan. Look for the types of sugars used. look for the type of protein as well. You want to make sure they aren't just a chocolate bar with a little protein thrown in.

Will they make you big? Nope not on their own.

Can you use it as one of your daily meals? Sure. They can be a valid source of protein for people who are always on the go.

But rememeber they are considered a supplement and should be used as such. They shouldn't over shadow eating real food.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

If you consider that buying a big Mac, taking 1 or 2 bites out of it, then throwing it away is better than missing a meal.....then yes, protien bars are terrific!

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

better protien bar: 6 slices of non-fat cheese slices( 90% protien by calorie count) and an apple.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

even better protien bar: some dried apricots( energy and minerals) with granola ( energy and protien)

...not the best in protien but it works for many people

My Ride
    '15 GTI

its good in a pinch, like if youre on the run and need 20+ grams of protein real quick, but you couldnt get big eating them

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

Yeah I agree with the general trend of what everyon else has been saying so far.

The only time I've bought protein bars or meal replacement bars is when I go on trips where I can't eat the same ways I eat at home. For me they are better than nothing, but they are quite expensive.

One advantage to them is convenience of quick and easy protein, but food is always better.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    97' Pearl White Toyota Celica w/ purple tint

meh i cant down this stuff anymore - shakes so much more tolerable.

Originally posted by hockeybronx
    snip....

One advantage to them is convenience of quick and easy protein, but food is always better.

1-Cent is offline If you want to sell shit buy a fucking banner

Protein is protein, eat all of it, dont descriminate! If the amount of monosaccharides in a single protein bar bothers you, you need to get off the couch If you're tight for food theres nothing wrong with it, they're just expensive as hell.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by 1-Cent
    If you're tight for food theres nothing wrong with it, they're just expensive as hell.
    but consider that a protein plus bar at a macs is like 3.xx its about equivalent in nutrition to probably a 5-6 dollar meal at a fast food joint, its just that its not really food

1-Cent is offline If you want to sell shit buy a fucking banner

Originally posted by three.eighteen.

but consider that a protein plus bar at a macs is like 3.xx its about equivalent in nutrition to probably a 5-6 dollar meal at a fast food joint, its just that its not really food
    A protein bar... equivalent to a fast food meal... sorry, try again. I'm not sure when whey isolate protein started comparing to the incomplete proteins found in processed food...
    The carbs are simple in protein bars for a reason, they're aimed at people who can't get a solid meal while they're doing their thing, runners, sports athletes, etc. they give you an immediate source of energy. They aren't meant to be eaten 3x a day to meet your protein intake req. use real food for that