Quantcast
RWD Del sol Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: RWD Del sol Thread

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Dual engine? or just Rear engine? I know of someone who's working on a high powered dual engine setup.......... Thats exactly how it's going to be done aswell, front suspension, K member the works, cut and weld into the hatch. Great Job!!
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

that's just awesome!! As a previous delsol owner this makes me super excited!!! hehehe

if your looking for more resources, visit www.solsociety.com they have lots of info there for del sol owners too!!

Good Luck and keep us posted!!

My Ride
    EK9

WOW your Insane ! lol I meant that in a good way. Please post pics once you get some futher progress.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

amazing!! good work!
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by Primer_Drift

Well for one its a challenging, to make it uniquely different and I enjoy the work. Its one thing to buy something for what it is, an entirely different to build something yourself for you think it could be.
    now that's a great attitude to have really it is! no jokes
    project looks amazing man! keep up the good work

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Thank you for such positive and enthusiastic comments! Feel free to ask any questions, I will definetly keep updating this thread as I progress

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

whens the eta for completion? cause i wanna see this in person

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

good luck with the completion dude. it'll be worthwhile!

My Ride
    335i

Not sure what to say - other than wow. Pretty cool project, best of luck with it and hopefully things work out well for you! Keep us all updated, a RWD Sol from Calgary is pretty cool.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    335i

By the way, why have you not painted the engine bay before you fabricated? Do you intend on keeping it green? If not, you should get that done before anything else as its a lot harder to paint a bay with an engine in there...
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    By the way, why have you not painted the engine bay before you fabricated? Do you intend on keeping it green? If not, you should get that done before anything else as its a lot harder to paint a bay with an engine in there...
    Good question, long story involved for that one though..

The car was originally samba green. It was repainted (poorly) by a certain autobody shop, that failed to complete the entire paintjob before the shop changed ownership. There was a verbal agreement with the owner to complete the work, plus a small written agreement that was only with him, not his shop. He has since left the country (no joke) leaving me S.O.L. The new owner was nice enough to offer to paint it at cost, but I am dissatisfied with the paint job in general and will not be returning the car to them for completion/repaint.

That is the main reason the car is not one color. Secondly, the fabrication requires I take the paint off down to bare metal to weld it properly. Welding sparks, metalic dust and other fabrication hazards are very hard on the paint, it will need to be repainted once all the fabrication is complete. Everything will be removed for undercoating and paint in due time

My Ride
    ED & EG

my god What an undertaking! Sooooo impressive...good for you man......only one question? How do you think your handling will be affected......cuz no doubt it will be

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Well for starters, if I were to just throw the engine in the back and not alter the stock spring rates I know the car would have awful understeer. Add also the extra weight in the back and it would make for a very twitchy unresponsive car. Thankfully I am not leaving it stock and will continue to improve on it as time progresses.

Spring rates are generally higher in the rear with mid-engine vehicles. I believe this allows for greater front deflection, and more wieght transfer to the front of the car under braking load when entering a corner (MR owners feel free to correct me if I am wrong here ). No doubt the feel of the car will be greatly changed by moving the engine to the rear. I cannot say for certain how it will handle, but it will definetly require a change in driving style.

I have increased the spring rates and added adjustable shocks to help control them. Spring rate at the rear is quite a bit higher than the fronts now. Hopefully ,we will see sometime this summer how it handles!

Thanks for the great question!
    -Scott

I've always wondered what would be involved in converting a FWD Honda to RWD. In the future I hope to do this exact same thing to a 5th gen Prelude. Maybe i'll give you a call in 5 years

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Primer_Drift
    Well for starters, if I were to just throw the engine in the back and not alter the stock spring rates I know the car would have awful understeer. Add also the extra weight in the back and it would make for a very twitchy unresponsive car. Thankfully I am not leaving it stock and will continue to improve on it as time progresses.

Spring rates are generally higher in the rear with mid-engine vehicles. I believe this allows for greater front deflection, and more wieght transfer to the front of the car under braking load when entering a corner (MR owners feel free to correct me if I am wrong here ). No doubt the feel of the car will be greatly changed by moving the engine to the rear. I cannot say for certain how it will handle, but it will definetly require a change in driving style.

I have increased the spring rates and added adjustable shocks to help control them. Spring rate at the rear is quite a bit higher than the fronts now. Hopefully ,we will see sometime this summer how it handles!

Thanks for the great question!
    -Scott
    Oh damn I kept seeing this thread getting bumped but just saw Del Sol and not the RWD part so I never payed any attention to it no offense. Dude this is crazy congrats on the job so far.

Anyways the rear spring rates on mr cars is usually about 2:1 for a performance application in other words the rears shoudl be around twice as stiff as the fronts. Some sort of X shaped rear strut brace might also be a good idea.

One question, where is the gas tank going?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I think on honda tech he was saying right behind the rear bumper

reinforced and all but still

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Oh damn I kept seeing this thread getting bumped but just saw Del Sol and not the RWD part so I never payed any attention to it no offense. Dude this is crazy congrats on the job so far.

Anyways the rear spring rates on mr cars is usually about 2:1 for a performance application in other words the rears shoudl be around twice as stiff as the fronts. Some sort of X shaped rear strut brace might also be a good idea.

Thanks for the info, and that rear strut X-brace sounds like a great idea

As 88CRX said, it will be like this (below) but a bit lower, caged and firewalled. It surprises me that people are so worried about its position when many stock locations can be just as bad if not worse. I will take every precaution I can to make this vehicle safe, however I must work withen the confines of the space I am given.

I'll update again when I get some more progress done with the wiring... its kicking my butt at the moment :P

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Wow.

I thought you were the same guy who had the SR20 delsol.. thought you were throwing a nissan engine in it.. /that'd be some work.../

Lookin' damn good so far. Great job
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Originally posted by ex1z7
    Wow.

I thought you were the same guy who had the SR20 delsol.. thought you were throwing a nissan engine in it.. /that'd be some work.../

Lookin' damn good so far. Great job
    Thanks!
    The owner of the SR20 Sol lives in Ontario somewhere, his is running now apparently.

Update pics coming soon, heres one of my new radiator

I'm pretty sure I could drive through Hell/Kamloops BC and not overheat with this thing..

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

dumb questions.... running coolant from the front to back...... just a big ass water pump or what?

what do most mid engine cars do?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast