Quantcast
Do you get better mileage with one companies gas as compared to another? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you get better mileage with one companies gas as compared to another?

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Default Do you get better mileage with one companies gas as compared to another?

Explain....

I feel that im getting better mileage with Superstore as compared to Esso

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 05:51 AM.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

I think ESSO's gas is a lot cleaner burning. Superstore gas is not as clean. When I filled a jerry can with super store gas for my lawn mower there was mad residue left in the bottom of the jerry can. Shell left no residue.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Mileage depends on energy content of the fuel and what they use to raise octane. The higher the octane, the lower the mileage. Shell fuels has the best mileage, and Mohawk has the worse (91 octane compared to 92 octane).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by rage2
    Mileage depends on energy content of the fuel and what they use to raise octane. The higher the octane, the lower the mileage. Shell fuels has the best mileage, and Mohawk has the worse (91 octane compared to 92 octane).
    actually thats not necessarily true in all cases, because with the higher octane you can advance timing, creating more output with the same volume of fuel, which would actually result in better mileage

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

No Im comparing the same, 87 octane fuels here

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Well I know with Husky/Mowhawk since they use ethanol in their fuels it doesnt give you as good gas mileage.

Wouldn't Superstore gas be either Imperial, Shell or Petro Can anyway??

My Ride
    Bicycle

^ True

But I do find Mohawk gas is the worse of the all on mileage.

I've been wondering this week as well.. I filled up at a petro can I think, and did pretty good, now this week after filling at an esso, it's like the car has lost power and I'm not sure if I'm getting the milage I did.. I'll see better next week as the kms climb.... It's only the 2nd tank of gas I've put in it, so it's all new territory for me to get used to.....

My Ride
    335i

I'm always paranoid about those discount stations like Centex etc. They always seem to be shady, and it seems like I get lass mileage on a tank of gas from them. Maybe its just me
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

i've actually noticed similar finding in terms of different fuels from different stations. i noticed that when i use shell or petro canada petrol i receive the best mileage and performance. shell especially. but this also depends on which station and where. not sure what exactly each station does but when i gas up in the edgemont p.can my car runs better and has better mileage as compared to the p.can across from churchill high school.

as for the little stations - i heard that all gas comes from the same plant or something so essentially they are all the same. but stations like shell and p.can and esso add their own additives and stuff whereas the mom and pop stations like centex add nothing. so their fuel is just plain jane with no nothing to help enhance performance or clean your engine.

also heard rumors that certain stations "water down" their petrol and some others sell 87 octane as 91 this is just what i hear.

but overall i found shell and p.can to be the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    2001 Honda Civic Si; 06 Mazda 3 GT

Not a lot Shell's around where I live/work so mostly I use Petro. And I use it so often that I'm habituated to it when I'm fully aware that the Esso near campus have the cheapest pumps around (pump price is always less than the sign price), yet I've been so consistent with Petro's blend that I'm afraid of switching it to Esso's even though it's cheaper. Main reason: the additives in Petro's 89 octane helped me clear my EGR CEL code back in December and I've stuck with whatever's made my car happy.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

It all comes from the same gas plant, just different additives.

My Ride
    2000 323i

From what I hear, completely true. Same refinery for the most part...the differences is additives, and the tanks. I've heard that older stations have metal tanks, while newer ones have plastic (could be BS) and that the metal ones rust causing...well..scheisse. When my brother lived in Vancouver....first trip in my parents venture, on shawnessy coop gas, did an average of 10.9L/100 km. Second trip (I didn't work at coop anymore, so no EXTRA discounts) on midnapore Esso gas.....8.6L/100km (this is calculated by US accurately, not the trip/fuel economyometer. So that's one issue. My bro's (my former) 88 Corsica, runs like crap on anything that doesn't come from Esso, Shell, or Petro (may be others, but so far, nope. Coop, runs like crap, safeway, same deal, domo is terrible no matter who you ask) If you see cheaper gas...throw in $40 and see how it does I say. If it's good....stick with it.
    Mike

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Nissanaddict
    Esso, Shell, or Petro (may be others, but so far, nope. Coop, runs like crap, safeway, same deal, domo is terrible no matter who you ask)
    I can tell you safeway uses either Esso (at 4 of its stations in calgary) or shell at the other ones. As for the tanks they have, they come from the same manufacturer that esso has used since 2000. safeway just doesnt have esso trucks dropping off the gas, but it comes from the esso refinery. But every place gets a bad tank here or there. All depends on the quality from the main place, and yes, that means you can get bad gas from esso as well. But its highly unlikly considering the tanks are filled 3 times atleast, a week (at the busy stations). I shoudl also add, you never truly get the bottom of the barrel directly from a gas station. There is 3000L of each kind (r,m,p), that cannot be sucked up.
    Last edited by ryder_23; 07-16-2005 at 02:51 AM.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

I fuel up the S4 with Shell gas! The best mileage per tank by FAR! When I'm wanting performance outta my GTI, it's 94 octane from Mohawk. Terrible fuel mileage, but that doesn't matter. Power baby!

Is there a difference between the Mowhawk and Husky Octane 94 petrol? Is there one that is more prefered than the other? I've tried the Husky 94 petrol - terrible mileage but I did notice a little more Power. How is the Mohawk stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Jeep

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    Is there a difference between the Mowhawk and Husky Octane 94 petrol? Is there one that is more prefered than the other? I've tried the Husky 94 petrol - terrible mileage but I did notice a little more Power. How is the Mohawk stuff?
    Same thing no?

I also find ethanol gas = shart mileage. Too bad she likes 94 so much.

My Ride
    Model S

its a well understood fact that ethanol decreases volatility (increases octane) as well as BTUs (energy output, meaning mileage)

comparing ethanol blended gas to non is kinda apples to oranges.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast