Quantcast
Seeking Help From Mt.Royal Grads - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Seeking Help From Mt.Royal Grads

My Ride
    Civic dx

Default Seeking Help From Mt.Royal Grads

I'm enrolled in the Business Administration Marketing Management diploma course at Mt. Royal, has anyone graduated from this program or know of someone who graduated from a business diploma course at mt.royal...if so, where did they find employment after graduating? any help would be appreciated, thanks

I know a few people in that program but none that have graduated yet. They've completed one of the two years. I'm sure it depends on your own maturity, experience, eduacation, etc. The people I know went there straight out of high school, thinking that they'd do the two years, get their diplomas, and join the workforce. It seems like everyone in that program (or the ones that are younger and doing this as their first post-sec program, anyway) plans to transfer to the U of L for third and fourth year... as the U of L has a direct transfer to their BMgmt.

I'm sure the choice to transfer and do two extra years is partly just that they don't feel ready to finish school and start working, but I get the impression that the idea is that the program will help you get work if you already have a fair amount of education and/or experience behind you. I don't know what the actual employment prospects are (sorry)... maybe someone else here will. The impression I've got, though, is that it depends on the individual. For example, if you're coming straight out of HS and complete the two years... if you get your diploma and then try to get work in Calgary, you'll be competing against U of A, U of C, and U of L grads who've done full degrees. However, if you've already got experience behind you, you're competing against others who have WE just as you have in the past.

Sorry if this wasn't that helpful. To sum it up - the people I know in the program are young and mostly doing this as their first post-sec program (some tried out SAIT or another program, but no degrees or professional work experience). I don't know any that are planning to go after jobs as soon as they get their diplomas... like I said, that might just be a maturity issue vs. job prospects.

My wife didn't graduate from MRC, but from a college in BC, with a similar diploma.

It took her forever to find a good job here in Calgary. I think she went through three or four brutal ones before she found the one that she's at.

Now, she's an HR Administrator for a software company and she loves it!!

I guess my advice to you is just keep looking. She got in good with a few staffing companies and just kept perservering. Now she's making incredible money at a place that's awesome to work for.

There are a TON of people with similar diplomas, but luckily for you guys....there are tonS of jobs out there!!

good luck

My Ride
    Civic dx

thanks, that was helpful. anyone else?

My Ride
    94' Terd

A friend of mine graduated from that program and is now a customer service rep with a hardwood flooring company. Loves his job.

My Ride
    Civic dx

did he find it hard to get a job?

My Ride
    '02 Maxima SE / '08 F-350 SD 4x4

My wife just graduated from that program, she runs the accounts-payable department at Green Drop, she loves the job. She found it a very applicable diploma, almost any company has a position for you, just pick a few and send some resumes.