Quantcast
Its been asked over and over... turbo sizing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Its been asked over and over... turbo sizing

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

Default Its been asked over and over... turbo sizing

I need some help.

I am building a DSM motor for my 97 Talon over the winter. I have yet to decide if i am going to do the 6 bolt swap or stay with the 7... We'll see. But I am trying to get all my decisions made about a turbo. I would really like some of the turbo knowledge-able people on this board to give me some insight. I know all the basics about turbo's, so you dont "have" to talk to me like i'm stupid, but if you fell the need... go for it!

Ok. what I am trying to accomplish is:
    ~400 AWHP.

8000 RPM readline (dont want the turbo to run out of breath)
    Street car. This car HAS to be able to hit boost before 6000 rpm, or it is going to be NO good on the road!

Internals in the motor are being upgraded. 9.0:1 pistons, good rods, balanced motor, metal headgasket, ARP fasteners. Also planning on HKS 264/264 cams.

I dont know if you need any other information, but anything you guys could give me for reading, or background information would be great... Best would be you telling me the perfect turbo to use.. But I know we all like to play hardball.... lol

Thanks Guys
    C.J.
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

My Ride

Also.
    I have 3" exhaust turbo back. My O2 housing is part of my downpipe, and it has a mitsubishi flange on it. So the BEST recomendations would be using a Misubishi Turbinehousing. I just dont want to hack up my exhaust... but if i have to, i have too right?
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

look into a 20G or switching to a Garrett-based turbo. Its a DSM so its not like you have any lack of choices... You could also get a FP Green, bullseye T04B (V-trim), AGP RS49T, or PTE SCM5031E .63AR.
    For what you ask of spooling, stick with small-to-medium sized trim (.50 trim is your best bet) or get a Turbonetics manifold and a ball bearing T3/T4 turbocharger with the T04B (v-trim) compressor side.

edit: didn't see your second post. You are looking for something like the Bastard 20G in that case.
    edit2: that recommendation is for a 1G though, I don't have much experience with 400awhp bolt ons for a 2G. you might do better to ditch the O2 housing you already have and get a better flowing one.
    Last edited by b_t; 08-17-2005 at 03:56 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you're going cams, you'll want to reduce as much backpressure as possible, so you'll need to go for a bigger exhaust housing than usual, which introduces later spoolup. The more agressive you go with cams, the bigger turbine side you'll need to get.

For 400whp goals using cams @ 7500rpm, you're looking at TQ in the 270-320 range (280tq@7500rpm==400hp). Based on a 2L engine, I would go with a GT series turbo to reduce spoolup time, while maintaining low backpressure. GT30R if you're not looking for more than 400whp, GT35R if you want more power in the future.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

the GT30R and GT35R are great suggestions. Slowboy has them as basically bolt-ons for DSMs now at http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=192 but you will need to do more then just put a bolt a big, nice turbo onto your exhaust mani. It will cost a lot more then the $1300usd for the turbo... you should start looking into fuel controllers and compensation for the extra power a GT turbo will bring.

My Ride

I dont really plan on cheaping out on fuel management.. I already have a walbro 255 in the tank, and plan on running AEM's EMS, for full control. I used an AEM on my 1G car and loved it! Now its time to do up my 2G..

edit:

Also, I have been doing some searchng again after a couple of your recomendations. I looked at the Bastard 20G, and the GT30R and he GT35R (mitsu flange style). I was interested in the FP series turbo also, but didnt look very hard for it... How do I decide which will be best for my application? I have heard about compressor maps.? where do i find these and what is it going to tell me? thanks again
    Last edited by black_shadow_18; 08-17-2005 at 05:29 PM.
    C.J.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

compressor maps, look on http://www.atpturbo.com/ for the GT compressor and turbine maps, otherwise I have not ever seen compressor maps for the modified Mitsu based turbos.
    Last edited by b_t; 08-18-2005 at 08:06 AM.

My Ride
    99 F355, 08 3500 Diesel Mega Cab, 12 Versa

Okay, where to start, first off, if you are going to dump that amount of cash into any engine you should start with a fresh rebuild. Now if your going to do so buy a 6 bolt! Here's why, even if your engine is running strong, you will still always have the issue of crankwalk at the back of your head and thats never good!

Turbo, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM SLOW BOY TURBO'S!!! Now that is out, obviously get a FP turbo, they only power the worlds fastest awd talon, but they are far the best best for your cash. Now here's a few things to look at, the FP ball bearing series have an incridible spool time can produce a shit load of power, but if they ever goo KAAWPOW, you need to buy a whole new turbo. Try looking at an FP Green, here's some detials!!

The Receipe
    The Green turbo is a Mitsubishi/Garrett hybrid, with a compressor flow of 730cfm, and around 500hp. The turbine wheel is the larger TD06H rather than the TD06. Testing showed no increase in response using the TD06 in place of the TD06H and the smaller TW only reduced overall turbine flow. We pioneered the Mitsu/Garrett hybrid design to make use of the bolt on convenience of the Mitsubishi housings, and the super efficiency of the Garrett compressor wheel. We modified the Mitsubishi bearing housing to include our exclusive Monster thrust bearing which isn't going to be found in cheap immitations. The Green utilizes a modified TD06 compressor housing with a 3 inch inlet. The outlet faces down, and thus the Green bolts up just like a standard 20G turbo. Cast aluminum 90 degree compressor outlet elbows are available to give the Green a stock 2G fitment.
    Looks good on paper, how's it work?
    The Green has proven its effectiveness on numerous 1G and 2G DSM applications. Curt Brown's 1G AWD race car ran a 10.7 @ 130mph with no nitrous. Loren Jacobs' full weight 2G AWD street car ran 11.5 @ 125mph, also without nitrous. The bottom line is, this turbo hauls ass. With anything this sucessful you will see inferior copies offered by "dormroomracing.com" type wannabe shops. Don't get taken by a parts slinger who is going to "order your turbo in", we build our turbos in house and have the reputation you can count on for reliability and customer service.

You want fries with that?
    The Green is available in both internal and external wastegate configurations. For externally gated applications, we highly recommend Tial wastegates. Your Green can be further customized with 7cm2 or 8cm2 turbine housings, turbine wheel clipping, wet or dry bearing housings, and polished compressor housings.

One sexy turbo, and if it blows up rebuild it!!!

My Ride

Well, I ordered a turbo today. Should be here soon:
    Garrett / mitubishi housing (hybrid) 60 trim, Stage 3 wheel

I hope its going to make me happy
    C.J.