Quantcast
VTEC discussion (from iVTEC sticker thread) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VTEC discussion (from iVTEC sticker thread)

My Ride
    E36 4dr

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    actually, the reason ppl remove vtec under high boost applications is because the aggressive lobe is TOO aggresive...theres so much overlap that the boost basically forces the uncombusted mixture out the exhaust valves before the exhaust valves have a chance to close.
    So with a less aggressive cam profile or a custom grind where overlap is minimized, you may be able to take advantage of the vtec technology on boosted honda/acuras.

My Ride
    Dakota ... what? Yes, I know its a truck.

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    actually, the reason ppl remove vtec under high boost applications is because the aggressive lobe is TOO aggresive...theres so much overlap that the boost basically forces the uncombusted mixture out the exhaust valves before the exhaust valves have a chance to close.
    Oh yeah... didn't think of that.

Originally posted by MrX

So with a less aggressive cam profile or a custom grind where overlap is minimized, you may be able to take advantage of the vtec technology on boosted honda/acuras.
    Thats what I was just thinking too .... except a less aggressive profile would negate the purpose of having VTEC ... but a custom grind with high lift on the secondary lobes with either a shorter duration than the stock ones or advanced just enough to prevent much valve overlap would be where its at.
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

Valve overlap is mainly determined by lobe seperation angle. The higher the #, the less overlap-not duration.
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

My Ride

not for DOHC
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

Originally posted by 350hp_or_Bust
    not for DOHC
    Explain to me why that would make a difference- 2 cams vs 1?
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

My Ride

there is no such thing as lobe separation in DOHC ... not in the conventional sense anyhow.

for DOHC, there's typically one cam dedicated to the intake valvetrain, and one dedicated to the exhaust ... valve overlap is mostly a function of cam timing/synchronizing/degreeing ... i.e. you can decrease overlap if you degree the exhaust cam a few degrees retarded ... or the intake cam a few degrees advanced, or both (valve overlap will be reduced the same amout of degrees as the degrees you advance/retard the respective cams) ... the problem then lies in the duration cause if you advance the intake cam too much for example ... and your duration is too long, it will open the valve too early .. same story for the exhaust cam.

In the case of SOHC, or conventional push-rod valve trains (OHV) .. the exhaust AND intake profiles are cut on the same shaft, and (as I'm sure you know) the advance/retard of the intake and exhaust events relative to each other are determined by lobe separation.

hows that? sometimes I'm ass at explaining things
    My Ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2