Quantcast
Power Eng/Power Operator - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Eng/Power Operator

Default Power Eng/Power Operator

Whats the main diference on these two jobs? I cant find a answer on the net, and I plan on taking either one of these courses next year. Lastly, whats the pay difference in the two, all I hear from people is that they both make pretty good money?

Thanks

Have you checked out ALIS?

Originally posted by rinny
    Have you checked out ALIS?
    Yes I have, and both links for the 2 I am looking at have broken links . Thanks though.

Nobody knows

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

There is no difference. Power Engineering is the course offered by SAIT & NAIT. Most of the graduates become operators of some sort at gas plants, power plants, chemical manufacturing, pulp mills, compressor stations, etc. Once you finish the first year you are able to write your 4th class steam ticket. After the 2nd year, your 3rd class. I have my 3rd class steam ticket.

They do make decent money but you will end up working shift work and moving up north (I could have had a great paying job for Imperial Oil in Cold Lake, AB but opted for a life instead) for most of the high paying jobs. There wasn't alot of work in 1993 when I finished so I went back to get my Industrial Instrumentation and have never been out of work since.

Hmmm Im and idiot, I re read the topic title and I meant Power Eng/ Process Operator.

I received an email from a guy at Syncrude and he said both Power Eng and Process Operators are and will be in demand in the future. Mainly because of the baby bommers retiring and expansions.

As for school I was looking at going to Keyano in Ft Mac.

Power Eng course (like Heavy D) stated you get 4th and 3rd class steam ticket.

Process Operator, the first year you get your 4th class steam ticket and the 2nd year is process operations.

Some of the subjects of the 2nd year are: Chemistry, process operations I and II, hydrocarbon processing and mineral processing to name a few.

I plan to work up north, at least for a few years anyways.

My Ride
    Lexus

just wondering if its easy to get a job right after 4th class ticket????

Last edited by stealth; 11-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.

From what Ive heard you make a lot more money with a 3rd class ticket, not sure how true this is but...

Stealth, are you taking the Power Eng. tech course or the 4th and 3rd one year certificate programs? I was thinking about going to Keyano (Ft Mac) to take the power eng course, but am keeping NAIT in mind. Only reason for going to Ft Mac is, they offer a lot more coop time.

Last edited by kaput; 03-20-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Originally posted by kaput

Thats not the only reason why your going into it though right? Because thats the case in pretty much every industry right now. Theres never been a better time to get into something that you like and want to do rather than something that has strong future prospects and opportunities.
    No no, thats not why I am wanting to get into it. I did some research on the job, and emailed a bunch of companies just to make sure there was a demand for them.

No sense persuing something that is dead.

Originally posted by rbau493
    From what Ive heard you make a lot more money with a 3rd class ticket, not sure how true this is but...

Stealth, are you taking the Power Eng. tech course or the 4th and 3rd one year certificate programs? I was thinking about going to Keyano (Ft Mac) to take the power eng course, but am keeping NAIT in mind. Only reason for going to Ft Mac is, they offer a lot more coop time.
    Im taking Power Engineering Certificate, which gives me 4th Class, and 3rd Class Part A. It is a one year course, with Nait.

I have a guy in my course who is from Ft.Mac but for some reason he did not choose Keyano, im not sure why though. But I believe Nait is the second best place to take it next to SAIT.
    Last edited by stealth; 11-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Does the 4th class have a plant practicum or is that just the 3rd class certificate that has that? If it doesnt, how are you getting your steam time?

So are you taking this one... http://www.nait.ca/PCalendars/Printe...fDate=7/1/2005

No Edmonton was to full so I am taking the one at fareview, which is better, since I will receive half of my 3rd instead of only my 4th in one year.

http://www.nait.ca/portal/server.pt?...D=247&PageID=0

Yes there is a practicum for the 4th class. But school work counts as steam time (cuts it in half), and I have to do 3 months of High Pressure Steam, instead of 6 months, which I will be starting in January.

As for if you take it in edmonton, the labs count as high pressure steam time, and I think you accumulate enough for it to count towards your 4th class, but someone correct me if im wrong.

Anything else just ask away.

Sam

My Ride
    Lexus

there gona be a job fair at SAIT very soon. just wondering, does it even worth to go and apply at job fair for summer job?? how many first year student actually get job through them??
    thanks

IMO, the pay difference between 3rd and 4th Class isn't worth it to take a 2 year course. Get your 4th, get a job, make money and have the company pay for your 3rd, instead of wasting another year in school learning useless crap. Furthermore, the 3rd and half-my-2nd straight out of school crowd have a big steam ticket but jack shit in real world experience and more often than not are just a liability.

On the other hand, there's alot of 4th Class ticket holders out there and competition is pretty stiff, even Part A of your 3rd would help you out. However, this type of work isn't for everyone. A good candidate with a 4th Class ticket should have no problems getting a job, if not, then maybe you aren't cut out for this sort of thing to begin with. There's lots of people who WANT to be Power Engineers, few have the skills/attitude they need, which incidentally seem to be more instinct and difficult to teach in say a classroom. The fact that you are on a car forum is a big vote in your favour.

BTW, this post pertains to industrial positions, which tend to be "up north" or in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. They are screaming for Building Ops. in the cities. You'll be home every night, but missing out on some good cash and most likely plunging toilets and changing lightbulbs.

Originally posted by fast&dangr
    IMO, the pay difference between 3rd and 4th Class isn't worth it to take a 2 year course. Get your 4th, get a job, make money and have the company pay for your 3rd, instead of wasting another year in school learning useless crap. Furthermore, the 3rd and half-my-2nd straight out of school crowd have a big steam ticket but jack shit in real world experience and more often than not are just a liability.
    Thats why I was looking at Keyano, you get 1 year of coop in a 2 year program, seems worth it to me.

1 year of co-op is really good, thats how long it takes to get a new hire to a point where they are really useful all over. Make lots of contacts.

Originally posted by fast&dangr
    1 year of co-op is really good, thats how long it takes to get a new hire to a point where they are really useful all over. Make lots of contacts.
    Thats what I figured, you do 6 months of coop with one of the big companies in Ft MAc and the other 6 months with a different company.

Just to let you know, there is alot of information that you need to know in order to become a power engineer. I get atleast 2-5 hours of homwork a night.

Your teachers will test you extensively.

I myself cant wait to start my 3 month practicum, which counts for my steam time for all of my 4th.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast