Quantcast
y u chose this career - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: y u chose this career

Been working full time for 3 years while doing my accounting degree and going to get my accounting designation.. but I have no intentions of staying in Accounting.. going to do an MBA soon afterwards and try and get into Project Management or Business Development/Strategies..

doing the accounting degree because I enjoy it right now.. but it's just a step to what I really want to do.. I'm just lucky that I enjoy accounting..

I can't see myself not going to school.. I enjoy it.. I enjoy the material, the interaction, etc.. I know I'll find something to study after I finish my MBA, just because I want to.

My Ride

Default Re: y u chose this career

Originally posted by 90Tegra
    can u guyz in here tell me how u found out what u wanna become?
    I dropped out of high school and got into sales... Since early in my life all my friends told me that I would make a great salesman. I didnt even get into sales till I was older than you, I live a very comfertable life, I love going to work every day and I probably only do about 2-3 hours of actual "work" a day.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

Originally posted by Ben
    I was always a computer nerd, so my career came quite naturally. Even my absolute WORST days at work are still 100x better than previous jobs.
    Werd...
    Working in IT beats mopping floors, making food, cleaning puke, selling shit or doing manual labor...

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Originally posted by Davetronz

Werd...
    Working in IT beats mopping floors, making food, cleaning puke, selling shit or doing manual labor...
    Is that you or Ben that you are talking about?

My Ride
    NC1

Sometimes opportunities present itself. You just have to go with it. My parents opened up our restaurant 10 years ago and I've been here ever since. Knowing I don't want to do this forever, I'm getting my business degree through correspondence at Athabasca University.

There are days I wish I was doing something else but I'm so efficient at what I do, I don't know if I ever want to switch. The mentality is so much different when you are operating a business, it's really a rewarding experience.

I've already decided that for my next career I want to start up an insurance agency. Why? I didn't know I had such a strong interest in the field! So what I'm trying to say is, you just can't sit there and pick out what you want to do, you really have to experience it and decide for yourself. Things are constantly evolving.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Are you a literary / humanities type of person, or a math / science type of person? Yes, there's mixes, but what do you REALLY enjoy taking at school? That'll be a good start to help you choose what sorta post-secondary studies to pursue, should you decide to go down that route.

For me, I LOVED math and sciences throughout grade school PLUS a hint of design. Thus, I chose to go into Engineering. Although this is now my 5th year at it, with a possible 3 more years to go (yeah, I flunked a couple times), I really enjoy the material, evenmore so after having worked in an Engineering firm.

I'd say, find which area you're strongest at, add in personal interests / hobbies, and find a career that'll incorporate most, if not all of those aspects. Trust me, you'll love doing it, even if it'll take you 8 freakin' years to finish one measely little degree...

BTW. Out of curiosity, I was looking at your profile and noticed your birthdate was Sept. 18, 1986. Now, correct my math if I'm wrong, but aren't you 19 now???
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 10-28-2005 at 02:53 AM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    08 GSR

After working at my part time jobs I hate dealing with customers. I wanted a job where I can work at an office and would get me a decent salary, so I picked computer engineering. I was always interested in computers and technology, so I thought this was the way to go. Hopefully this all works out in the end. I'm currently on internship right now doing software testing. It's not what I was planning to do, but gives me experience in this field so it kinda opens up my options in the future.

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Def_3: Do you know off hand if its possible to transfer to U of Phenoix straight out of a 2 year diploma program? IM finishing my marketing diploma this year, with a tonne of management courses seems to work really well. Mind you Im not employed by telus or any other coporate partner.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

It's hard to know what you want to do, unless you really love doing something.
    I was taking Architecture, I loved playing around with CAD, it was awesome. I came to uni and all we did was do it all by hand, sure I don't mind doing it, it's experience and if I ever need to draw up plans by hand, I can do it by scale no problem. But this uni doesn't do any CAD work; as soon as I found out I dropped out and transferred to another course. Now I'm doing finance, Accounting & Management. To tell you the truth I'm not really interested in it as I was with Architecture.
    If you have no idea what you want to do you have to try different things out, when you get the hang of something you really enjoy then you know.
    If you're like me and you don't want to waste years and years trying to figure out which course if for you, go search around. I would check out university/college website, check module outline what is taught in the class, I think that’s the best way.
    I'm going to try and get this degree done then go back to architecture.
    Good luck with whatever you do!!

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

I really didn't chose my career, it chose me. I followed a post secondary degree that matched my interests, and the rest is history.

My Ride
    Highlander

I had a few things I wanted to do out of school, though I couldn't really explain why. One night before graduation, mom took me for dinner and pretty much told me I was dumb (in a nice way) she knew I wouldn't be happy doing all the options I had considered. she finally asked me what I liked to do. I told her taking pictures and writing. Hadn't really occured to me at the time that I could turn both of those into one career or two separate ones. Shortly after that, I applied for my journalism program and haven't regreted it one second since

Go with what you like to do, WAY more rewarding than whatever will bring you more money

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by Kirbs17
    Def_3: Do you know off hand if its possible to transfer to U of Phenoix straight out of a 2 year diploma program? IM finishing my marketing diploma this year, with a tonne of management courses seems to work really well. Mind you Im not employed by telus or any other coporate partner.
    yes you can transfer, and there are alot of loop holes you can use, pm me and I can give you some contact info
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    05 GSXR600

gawd i'm so jealous of all of you

i'm 21, did the partying/travelling/working thing and then took general studies at sait for one year in 03.....but i'm FINALLY going back to school and trying Civil Engineering..so i'll see how that pans out

i have a hard time picturing myself at a job in the future because i get bored very easily and i seem to learn the duties/expectations of a job pretty quickly and then everything becomes repetitive.

i can't sit in an office all day and i can't be outside all day....so yeah..wish me luck

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Originally posted by Grip172
    gawd i'm so jealous of all of you

i'm 21, did the partying/travelling/working thing and then took general studies at sait for one year in 03.....but i'm FINALLY going back to school and trying Civil Engineering..so i'll see how that pans out

i have a hard time picturing myself at a job in the future because i get bored very easily and i seem to learn the duties/expectations of a job pretty quickly and then everything becomes repetitive.

i can't sit in an office all day and i can't be outside all day....so yeah..wish me luck
    ^^ Ever tried Surveying? It's relatively Civil related. More so Geomatics though, but close enough. You get to be outdoors half the day, and indoors for the other half. Well, I guess it's very weather dependent, but it seems to suit you well. I was a Geomatics Engineer's Assistant this past summer...in other words, a surveyor, and I really enjoyed the experience!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

Originally posted by Tyler883

Is that you or Ben that you are talking about?
    Generally speaking...

Originally posted by V6-BoI
    After working at my part time jobs I hate dealing with customers. I wanted a job where I can work at an office and would get me a decent salary, so I picked computer engineering. I was always interested in computers and technology, so I thought this was the way to go. Hopefully this all works out in the end. I'm currently on internship right now doing software testing. It's not what I was planning to do, but gives me experience in this field so it kinda opens up my options in the future.
    Well dude, hate to break it to you but you are in the wrong field... Im a computer engineer and I deal with customers all day. Office with decent salary RARELY comes without a few years in a crappy job dealing 1 on 1 with customers to gain experience...

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Default Re: Re: y u chose this career

Originally posted by tictactoe2004
    I probably only do about 2-3 hours of actual "work" a day.
    Let me guess.....you are a pharmaceutical sales rep.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

How bout you focus on speaking English first?
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by Davetronz

Well dude, hate to break it to you but you are in the wrong field... Im a computer engineer and I deal with customers all day. Office with decent salary RARELY comes without a few years in a crappy job dealing 1 on 1 with customers to gain experience...
    Oh really? Where do you work, and what do you do?

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

I picked my field somewhat by trial and error. I had a horrendous time at U of C Poli Sci. I could handle the courses, everything to do with the academic side. But being fresh out of highschool and having to deal with my parents divorce, I floundered. I took a year off, experienced little bits of different workplaces, and decided that I wanted to get into business. At Red Deer College your required to take 1 year of general, then pick a major, so that you get a grasp of what your like. Accounting sucks my balls, Finance is alright, but marketing and management really really challenged me, and I enjoyed it. I have since applied for my marketing diploma.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by Grip172
    there is no such thing as afun job

Wrong....you just haven't allowed yourself to pursue a good that you enjoy. It's totally possible. I like working.

I'm not saying everyday is great but most days I really like my work.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast