Quantcast
How Honda made its Civic Si growl U.S. team pushed for changes to create sporty sound - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How Honda made its Civic Si growl U.S. team pushed for changes to create sporty sound

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default How Honda made its Civic Si growl U.S. team pushed for changes to create sporty sound

How Honda made its Civic Si growl; U.S. team pushed for changes to create sporty sound

Autoweek
    LINDSAY CHAPPELL
    Posted Date: 11/2/05

EAST LIBERTY, Ohio -- Mark Pafumi sums up his contribution to the new Civic Si in one word: "pharoom."

Pafumi and his small team of engineers believed that sound would give the car an edge over the competition. So Honda gave the engineers leeway to enhance the acoustics of the Civic Si's intake and exhaust modules -- as long as they didn't interfere with existing componentry.

Somewhere around 5,800 rpm you can hear the results kick in, the throaty yelling of the vehicle's 197-hp four-banger as it crosses over the line into hard work.

"Hear it?" Pafumi asks as the Civic breaks loose from the speed limit on an empty two-lane road through the cornfields near Honda R&D North America Inc.'s central Ohio test facilities. "That's what we were looking for."

It is what Honda sales and marketing calls "sporty sound."

Sporty sound is critical for a model that gives a halo to a nameplate in a mundane segment. It is a metal whining at high acceleration, evocative of something coming at you on a rally track. And it is largely the creation of a group of just six people tinkering with designs in the middle of a vehicle development project that spanned the globe.

A bag of tricks

The team did it with a combination of concealed intake tubes, resonator components and special exhaust components, squirreled away on the car's existing architecture. The trick wasn't to simply make the engine louder. The group had to identify resonator points within the car, silence some parts of the sound, and then blend other sounds to find precisely what they considered to be the right tone for a sporty compact street vehicle.

Aftermarket shops can pull off this sort of after-the-fact enhancement because they don't have to answer to anybody. Pafumi's team had a world of people to whom to answer.

To say Honda Motor Co. had its hands full with the Civic's redesign and launch is putting it mildly. The change in engine sound was just one small part of the new Si. And the model is just a minor piece of the overall 2006 Civic program, which went into production in East Liberty, Ohio, in August.

East Liberty is one of 13 Civic plants around the world. Honda engineers from Ohio to Vietnam to Turkey have been carefully choreographing this year's launch.

The fact that they were able to pull off the change so close to the launch is a testament to what Honda calls manufacturing flexibility.

Pafumi's team includes one other engineer from the U.S. r&d group, Bruce Fouts; two participants inside Honda's local supplier of intake modules, Tigerpoly Manufacturing Inc. of Grove City, Ohio; and two designers in Japan who accommodated the project -- sometimes against their better judgment.

Pafumi, principal engineer for noise, vibration and harshness, says changing the Civic's sound was a two-front effort. The first challenge was to identify the correct sound. The second was to insert the components that would deliver it -- without interfering with existing parts.

On the first front, Pafumi's team used computer modeling to zero in on what he calls "five different whole and half orders of sound." Basically, the target was a blend of mechanical sounds as if coming from a quintet of musical instruments made out of steel and aluminum.

"We know our engines and the sounds we want to create," he says.

To capture it, the group ran a 70 mm intake pipe off of the front fender and connected it to a 3-liter resonator that would be planted on a spot inside the bumper. Various side branches were fit into unclaimed real estate inside the engine compartment cavity. The entire system was considered an engine part and fell under the direction of the engine-design team at Honda's engine plant in Tochigi, Japan.

But the design hit a snag. Engineers discovered that one of its side branches would have interfered with headlight bulb maintenance. If left alone, it would have required owners to use a tool to replace the light -- something that Civic project leaders had prohibited.

In August 2004 -- 12 months from the start of Civic production -- the team realized they would not meet their deadline. Tsutomu Tsukii, the Civic's lead engine designer in Tochigi, informed them that there was no more time.

"He said, 'I have a schedule to maintain,'" Pafumi, 34, recounts. "These guys in Japan are pretty intense about keeping the project on track."

Pafumi asked Tsukii and his colleague, Sugaki Komiyama, to come to Ohio and hear the sound system they were trying to perfect. They agreed and made the trip. At the company's Raymond, Ohio, r&d center, Pafumi put them into a prototype Si with the system installed, and the Japanese designers drove it.

When Tsukii got out of the car, Pafumi says, he nodded and said he understood.

"He was quite excited," Pafumi says. "He owns a Civic Type R in Japan with an aftermarket intake system."

Suppliers pitch in

Both Tigerpoly and the Civic's U.S. exhaust system supplier Newman Technology Inc. of Mansfield, Ohio, assured Pafumi that they could handle his last-minute design changes, even though it would mean tooling changes.

"This is one of the great benefits of having positive supplier relations," Pafumi says. "You can work closely with suppliers to problem-solve."

In May of this year -- three months before Honda threw the switch on global commercial production -- Pafumi's team was still making tool modifications to capture the right sound frequency. It would not be until the end of June before the parts were perfected and approved for production.

"At any point, somebody could've canceled the work," Pafumi acknowledges. "But we had made a sound that was so great, we didn't want to give up. So we kept going back to the computer."

Honda engineers Bruce Fouts, left, and Mark Pafumi were on the U.S. team that enhanced the acoustics of the Civic Si's intake and exhaust modules.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Your posts are great. Keep up the great work
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Honda
    Geek

Sporty sound is critical for a model that gives a halo to a nameplate in a mundane segment. It is a metal whining at high acceleration, evocative of something coming at you on a rally track.
    Now I'm curious. I can't wait to test drive this new civic!

My Ride
    Civic SI / Ducati Monster

Originally posted by richardchan2002

Now I'm curious. I can't wait to test drive this new civic!

Now, my sources might be faulty, but I was told that Calgary Honda has a couple of SI modles there for viewing/test drive's, but you cannot purchase them...

Anyone else know anything about this?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 2000_SI

Now, my sources might be faulty, but I was told that Calgary Honda has a couple of SI modles there for viewing/test drive's, but you cannot purchase them...

I doubt it.

I was there last week and all I see are EX. Unless this just happened.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by 2000_SI

As I understand it (from talking to a Honda employee), Honda had one or two SiR preproduction models that were passed around from dealership to dealership for the employees to test drive. I don't think just anyone was allowed to drive them, nor do I have any idea where they are now.

The boys over at Temple of VTEC say that the 06 Si is the best sounding Civic ever.

If you dig through their site there are a couple vids of an Si on the track........it sounds pretty good.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

^Your avatar makes epileptics and Baby Jesus cry.

Originally posted by viffer
    The boys over at Temple of VTEC say that the 06 Si is the best sounding Civic ever.

If you dig through their site there are a couple vids of an Si on the track........it sounds pretty good.

It sounds very close to the S2K. It's a pity they spent alot of time and effort to have some 16 year old rip it all out and install an ebay CAI.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

if it sounds anything like the s2k
    it will sound pimp

Cant wait to see this thing on the roads....this is one helluva step up for a civic!

My Ride
    FOR SALE: 02EP3

marry me benyl

I'm bored so here ya go.

http://video.vtec.net/06/civic/06si.wmv

bahh that link doesn't work, click here

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=398939

and go to the last page, at the bottom there is the vid.

My Ride
    FOR SALE: 02EP3