Quantcast
A chat with my insurance broker... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A chat with my insurance broker...

Exclamation A chat with my insurance broker...

So I had a chat with my insurance broker today as I have yet another vehicle to insure. Everything went quite well, he was a nice guy and got me setup with a good price. Actually to be honest it went well until he asked me if the car was modified. I hesitated, and answered no. I think he knew right away, and we started chatting about what problems were associated with such “modifications”.

Apparently in the eyes of the insurance company, your policy in Alberta can be voided for having any ONE of the following undeclared items installed on your vehicle.

- Engine Swap
    - Aftermarket Turbo
    - Aftermarket Supercharger
    - Nitrous Oxide

Again as reported by the insurance broker, your policy can be voided by having any TWO of the following undeclared items.

- Suspension Modification
    - Change to Rim Size
    - Interior Roll Cage
    - Intake
    - Exhaust
    - Any other modification designed to increase speed

Keep in mind, this is for UNDECLARED MODIFICATIONS. The broker reported that if you do have any ONE of the first field, or any TWO of the bottom field you are not qualified for low risk insurance. You move up to high risk, as 90% of the insurance companies have policies about “the fast and the furious”.

It looks like there is approximately a 40% hike in insurance moving to owning a modified vehicle, with two of the second field modifications (intake and exhaust) with a total aftermarket value of not more than $3,000CDN.

I’m wondering if anyone can substantiate this brokers claims with any information they might have. Please leave the speculation at home.

My personal take on this, is that they’ve written the policy to protect themselves from “street racers” my profiling anyone with aftermarket modifications. The law, as reported by the broker, states that any modification to increase speed voids your warranty.

This is a very interesting word; speed. In theory the speed of any vehicle is determined by the gearing of the transmission. Intake and exhaust should only change the efficiency of the vehicle to attain these speeds; NOT the actual speed.

Any lawyers online?

Anyways, I don’t know if this has been covered before. I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything in the way of void insurance policies. Hopefully some of you can help with this.

Regards

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

In the eyes of YOUR insurance company, yes. It's not an alberta law, but the insurance company does have a right to do it.

Lucky I'm old... I'm allowed to do anything and they don't care.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2006 Civic, Lifted Locked flat black Jeep YJ

well both my vehicles are registered as High Risk vehicles (civic, and jeep), which makes my insurance more, but are you saying that the mods on either (i dont have any on the civic), would affect my yearly cost even more?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by handsomebassman
    well both my vehicles are registered as High Risk vehicles (civic, and jeep), which makes my insurance more, but are you saying that the mods on either (i dont have any on the civic), would affect my yearly cost even more?
    It depends on your age, driving record, accident history, and insurance company.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

that’s what I’m told by the broker...

and rage, from what he said its the Alberta government that cares. Supposedly all insurance companies are required to know your vehicles modifications…

Again I’m only going with what this broker told me. I asked him if there was a difference moving to any other insurance company, and he told me no. They all had this requirement.

He made reference to it happening when the insurance reforms came into effect.

My Ride
    GT TDi

mod whatever you want, don't tell them about it, just make sure you dont crash then lol, if someone else hits you, too bad, they pay for whatever is broken, declared or not... i think anyway thats how it works.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^ lol
    Submaker.Illest.

Originally posted by rage2
    In the eyes of YOUR insurance company, yes. It's not an alberta law, but the insurance company does have a right to do it.

15 yrs + wthout a claim or moving violation in over 8 years....

If you're 17 and try to pass off this stuff, I'd say you'd be SOL.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

how do rims make you go faster?

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Originally posted by 3G
    how do rims make you go faster?
    Changes in rim sizes will change the speed that is registered on your speedometer. Also lighter ones will allow a quicker acceleration due to the fact that you do not have as much suspended weight.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^^ yup.

shit i guess making an STi wagon, wont go very well with my insurance company. lol
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    FAT tires

What your broker told you only applies to the insurance company that he/she uses. The alberta government doesnt care one bit about mods, only the company the gives you insurance. The big piss off here is the car gets insured not the driver, this is a pain for a number of reasons, primarily to me its owning and insuring more than one vehicle, i can only drive one at a time but i pay for two. the second big problem to me is the mods, its more difficult to insure a modified vehicle when in reality its still the drivers responsibility. you can speed in a 100hp vehicle almost as easy as a 300hp vehicle its just a matter of time it takes. Not to mention that you would have ZERO problems insuring a bone stock corvette Z06 that makes some 500hp, but put a couple goodies on whatever you drive and its a problem.

The real solution is get yourself reccomended to an understanding broker that WANTS to help you out, and be fucking responsible with your driving. if they see you as a risk mods are the easiest way to give you the boot.

Also the list of things you say is also specific to the company, for instance ING simply wont insure vehicles that have several items on your list...

A corvette will cost you more as well.

My Ride
    325i

Originally posted by bart
    mod whatever you want, don't tell them about it, just make sure you dont crash then lol, if someone else hits you, too bad, they pay for whatever is broken, declared or not... i think anyway thats how it works.
    I live by this moto

My Ride
    Sideways

all my cars are "stock"

My Ride
    Sentra

Sounds like ING insurance, I had those things listed to me too. The thing is I am already paying high risk insurance I think so I probably SHOULD mod the car so at least I'm getting my insurance moneys worth

Originally posted by rage2
    Me too.

Originally posted by seer_claw

Changes in rim sizes will change the speed that is registered on your speedometer. Also lighter ones will allow a quicker acceleration due to the fact that you do not have as much suspended weight.
    Gutting the back seat and trunk area will lighten the car too. Will the insurance company care about this?

Step 1: Dont talk to a mortgage broker anymore. Talk directly to the representative from the insurance company. If you dont like what they say go to another insurance company, shop around yourself until you find one that works for you. Mortgage brokers notoriously pick the insurance company that yields them the best commission and then just tells you to bend over and pay "because you are young" or "drive a high risk vehicle".

If you need a starting point. Start with TD. I have found them to be VERY easy to deal with.

www.tdinsurance.com

Originally posted by sputnik
    Step 1: Dont talk to a mortgage broker anymore. Talk directly to the representative from the insurance company. If you dont like what they say go to another insurance company, shop around yourself until you find one that works for you. Mortgage brokers notoriously pick the insurance company that yields them the best commission and then just tells you to bend over and pay "because you are young" or "drive a high risk vehicle".

If you need a starting point. Start with TD. I have found them to be VERY easy to deal with.

www.tdinsurance.com
    my dad just got insured with td and they asked him on the form if his car was modified (his isn't), but this may be a problem if i try switching over to them.

what if you just have PLPD? I was told that for PLPD insurance, it doesnt matter what car you drive, if you just want the base coverage the rate should be the same/similar from car to car. So it should be the same for a modified car as well shouldnt it?
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I'm with TD, and when I was younger, they asked me if my cars were modified, I said yes, I have a swap, but with an engine available in the same body style and same amount of cylinders, and not FI (MK2 VW GTI w/ 2.0L 16V swap). They said they would let that go because I wasn't increasing the cars power by over a certain % and that the vehicles purpose didn't change or something like that. Granted my rate was that of a 16V GTI and not the chassis based 8v but I was covered and thats all that matters.

When I bought my Audi, they didn't ask a single question. Nothing remotely close other than how many KM I drive to work.

Seems to me the newer and more expensive the car, the less questions they ask. My latest chat with the insurance company over another vehicle was basically "What do you want for a deductable"
    Travel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast