Thread: Having a toss of up LCD choices

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Having a toss of up LCD choices

Looking at the :

Samsung LN-S4696D

Sharp Aquos LC46D62U

Sony Bravio KDL46V2500

All 46" and seem to all have 1080p and fast response times. The Samsung has 4ms compared to 8ms and the contrast ratio is huge at 10,000:1 compared to most at 7000:1

It was hard to compare jack squat at the stores because all these tvs weren't even close to each other, or in similar lighting. Specs wise, all these seem fairly simliar but price wise, things are very different.

Not looking to use a PC, just an HD cable box, xbox 360 and an HD-DVD player. Any thoughts on which you prefer?

I looked at all of them and they all looked awesome but is really hard to tell when one, the lighting is different, and two, one is showing a TV feed and the other Ice Age on DVD.

HELP!!!!
    Ultracrepidarian

I am looking at the EXACT same sets and have got it down to the Sony or the Samsung. If you look on avsforums.com you will be able to more feedback from owners of these units. The Sharp is having issues with banding and the Sony has some backlight issues. The Samsung seems to be OK except the sound quality from its built in speakers sucks, personally I am thinking the Sony as it has two advantages over the Samsung in my eyes. 1:1 Pixel mapping and each input has assignable settings, this way I can adjust the brightness, contrast, etc on each input instead of just being able to set it for the entire set like the Samsung. I do however like the looks of the Samsung better, it doesn't help that the Sony and Samsung can be had for the same price. Let me know what you finally decide on.

My Ride
    F30

I would go with the sharp because sharp has single pixel coverage in the manufactures warranty

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by tylere
    I am looking at the EXACT same sets and have got it down to the Sony or the Samsung. If you look on avsforums.com you will be able to more feedback from owners of these units. The Sharp is having issues with banding and the Sony has some backlight issues. The Samsung seems to be OK except the sound quality from its built in speakers sucks, personally I am thinking the Sony as it has two advantages over the Samsung in my eyes. 1:1 Pixel mapping and each input has assignable settings, this way I can adjust the brightness, contrast, etc on each input instead of just being able to set it for the entire set like the Samsung. I do however like the looks of the Samsung better, it doesn't help that the Sony and Samsung can be had for the same price. Let me know what you finally decide on.
    Yes I heard about this Sharp banding issue and almost doesn't seem worth getting if I know full well I have a good chance of having to return the thing.

With Sony and Samsun with basically the same components inside, I'm not suprised in the prices nor the quality. I'll look take a look at that forum you mentioned, I always like hearing about actual owners, rather than some get who just rates it.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Well after looking around at that site, I think we're planning on going with the Sony.

FYI, prices between futureshop and best buy are enormous. Like 500 dollar difference between these two models, both 40" and 46"

That site is expectional and I can't honestly thank you enough for pointing it out to me.

With all the TV's having their own issues, and Sony's higher XBR2 and XBR3 with only minor differences, even this processor in the 2 and 3 is apparently a piece of shit and has almost no difference in performance when compared to the V2500. With a none reflective black finish and a super cheaper price the V2500 seems like a good choice. Someone pointed out though that these TV's may actually be assembled in Mexico but parts are from Japan, this TV seems to have the least amount of actual issues, especially with gaming and PC hook up. It's a Sony after all and they tend to have the least amount of quality control issues.
    Last edited by msommers; 12-27-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian