Quantcast
World's most expensive lemon? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: World's most expensive lemon?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default World's most expensive lemon?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/14/Auto...emon/index.htm

Dealership says $1.7 million car won't run and maker Mercedes-Benz won't fix it.
    June 14, 2006: 3:39 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - The owner of a Los Angeles car dealership is suing Mercedes-Benz, its parent company DaimlerChrysler, and other affiliates, alleging that a $1.7 million car purchased in 2004 wouldn't run for more than 10 blocks without problems.

The car, a Mercedes-Benz AMG CLK-GTR Limited Edition Roadster, was supposed to be one of only five made. In the lawsuit, the owner of exotic car dealership Grand Prix Motors also alleges that six were actually made, reducing the value of his car.

A two-door sports car, the CLK-GTR has a carbon fiber body and a 6.9-liter 12-cylinder engine enabling it to go from zero to 124 mph in 9.9 seconds. It has a top speed of 198.4 mph. According to the dealership's Web site, the car's intended retail selling price was $2.5 million.

"Unfortunately, the car turned out to be 'exotic' in the worst possible way," dealership owner Mark Johnston said. "When we took it off the lot in 2004 for its first customer test drive, [dealership co-owner Ernest Johnston] drove the car all of 10 blocks with a prospective buyer when the oil light came on. We've been trying to get it fixed ever since, but the Mercedes folks have refused to stand behind the car as promised in our contract."

Additionally, according to Johnston, the car's transmission failed to shift properly, the hydraulic jack system failed and the car's window's came unglued. Mercedes ultimately determined that the car suffered from an oil pressure-related engine failure, the plaintiffs allege, but refused to make any repairs.

"It's unfortunate the defendants have forced us to bring a lawsuit in order to have our contract honored," said Johnston. "We obviously cannot sell the car in its current condition, which right now represents nearly $2 million of scrap metal."

The Mercedes-Benz AMG CLK-GTR cannot legally be driven on American streets, said Mercedes-Benz USA spokeswoman Donna Boland. Owners in the United States can only drive the car on a track, she said. She could not otherwise comment on the lawsuit, she said, since the car was purchased directly from Germany and not through Mercedes' U.S. arm.

Mercedes-Benz officials in Germany could not immediately be reached for comment.

The suit seeks a full refund for the purchase price of the car as well as legal fees and other expenses.

damnn.....

that would absolutly lick balls...

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

If it is in fact true that the car won't even run for more than 10 blocks I don't see how Mercedes can win that lawsuit. Windows came unglued? WTF

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Maybe the should see if there's oil in the car before they fire it up?

My Ride
    335i

You'd expect a brand new car to have sufficient oil in the engine
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

A car purchased in 2004 hardly constitutes "brand-new". I bet the full story is that there was no oil in it, and they didn't even bother to check.

I know if I had a McLaren F1 roll off the trailer onto my driveway, I'd make sure it had coolant and oil in it before I fired it up.

Dealerships aren't that smart.

'Potential customer.' RIGHT, since when does the co-owner act as a salesman? He was on a joyride, and it backfired. Serves them right.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by ehos
    Dealerships aren't that smart.

'Potential customer.' RIGHT, since when does the co-owner act as a salesman? He was on a joyride, and it backfired. Serves them right.
    A joyride in a car that isn't even street legal as well.

It almost would have been funny to get stopped, impounded and crushed... almost.

My Ride
    04 CL9

just because it was the vice president in the car, doesnt mean its a joyride. if I was in charge, I too would insist on being present for the test drive of a car thats that expensive and rare.
    Originally posted by Mar
    If I made a thread for every douchebag I wanted to set on fire in traffic, I could run an entire forum by myself.

The guy sounds like a cheap bastard. It must be his FIRST rare collector car. I thought it was an SLR at first, but a CLK-GTR? Please. He had deep enough pockets to buy it, so he can fix it himself. 6 in the world, and it's not even street legal in the USA. This isn't an SLK here. That's like buying a McLaren F1 and taking it to Calgary BMW to get the engine fixed.

I hope MB wins the case!

I was watching 5th gear the other night, and I SWEAR he said 25 were made in total.....

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by l8braker
    I hope MB wins the case!
    Corporations FTW!

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by SC2
    I was watching 5th gear the other night, and I SWEAR he said 25 were made in total.....
    They did, the article seems pretty fishy...

However I believe they made only 5 of the topless version.

Edit - Read it again and it says roadster, which usually refers to a convertable. In which case there are in fact less than 25 made.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

25 were made. 5 topless. Not 6.

Originally posted by heavyD

Corporations FTW!
    All Corporation crap aside, M-B has should have no obligation to fix a GTR under this "warranty".

Stick to your brilliant NHL preditions there.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Stick to your brilliant NHL preditions there.
    Whatever sport.

BTW: I'm doing pretty well there thanks.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
    A joyride in a car that isn't even street legal as well.

It almost would have been funny to get stopped, impounded and crushed... almost.
    You can drive anything with dealer plates!
    The guy sounds like a cheap bastard. It must be his FIRST rare collector car. I thought it was an SLR at first, but a CLK-GTR? Please. He had deep enough pockets to buy it, so he can fix it himself. 6 in the world, and it's not even street legal in the USA. This isn't an SLK here. That's like buying a McLaren F1 and taking it to Calgary BMW to get the engine fixed.

I hope MB wins the case!
    He didn't buy the car. The dealership is suing MB directly. Brought the car in 2004, took the customer on a drive, died, and trying to fix it since then.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by rage2

You can drive anything with dealer plates!

He didn't buy the car. The dealership is suing MB directly. Brought the car in 2004, took the customer on a drive, died, and trying to fix it since then.
    Apparently some people around here have a difficult time reading the entire story. I thought it was pretty straightforward but then again I don't always account for the lessers.

he bought a chrylser what does he expect. lol . he should join that mini van guy, dont by dodge .ca or something.

see even if u buy a regular chrysler you get problems. a viper or a 1.5 m dollar mercedes is all garbage!

My Ride
    Memories...

Originally posted by demosticgarbage
    he bought a chrylser what does he expect. lol . he should join that mini van guy, dont by dodge .ca or something.

see even if u buy a regular chrysler you get problems. a viper or a 1.5 m dollar mercedes is all garbage!
    You forgot to write just kidding after that mercedes comment...