Quantcast
Best Home Phone Service(Rogers,Telus,Shaw...etc) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best Home Phone Service(Rogers,Telus,Shaw...etc)

Default Best Home Phone Service(Rogers,Telus,Shaw...etc)

Lookin around for a good home phone service. i know shaw just came out with a new service. but wasn't sure how reliable they were...i know Rogers and telus has services...any ideas
    or experience? on the different ones ?

thx

I'm biased because I'm a Shaw employee but I would say give Shaw a shot if you do long distance calling. There were issues with the quality of calls when it first came out but it's been rectified since and everyone I've spoke to (including fellow employees) say the phone service is just like any normal phone line.

Right now there is a promotion for free installation and first month, so you can try it out to see how it works first hand. There's no contracts so if you don't like it, you can leave at any time.

But like I mentioned earlier, if you're not doing a decent amount of long distance calling, it's likely not the service for you. It's a flat fee of $65/mo or $55/mo if you have any cable television or internet service with Shaw. It covers your local phone line, all long distance calls within North Amerca is unlimited anytime, and 1000 minutes overseas to 25 countries (UK, Italy, France etc.) per month anytime. You also get 7 calling features (Call Display, Call Waiting, Voicemail are the big 3).

I haven't heard much of Rogers, and Telus is well, Telus. They charge you every way they can (I'm a former employee so I know), but if all you need is a local phone line, it may be the route for you. The install is ridiculous though, and they have hidden fees for everything (911 charges, LD charges just to have a plan, administration fees etc).

Plus Shaw has free service calls so if there's a problem, they'll come out at no charge to you, whereas with Telus they charge per 15 minutes I believe. Just something to keep in mind. If you have any questions about the Shaw Digital Phone feel free to pm me.

A co-worker is pissed off at Vonage. Nothing wrong with the service except their customer service is the worst of all the major phone providers.

When he tried to terminate the service after almost a year, it took him several calls and probably over an hour of cumulative time on hold just to talk with someone. They charged him a $50 disconnect fee once he got a hold of someone.

Vonage's call centre is overseas, and it's not 24 hrs.

I've been with Shaw for about a year and it's been pretty good. Wish I could get the promo $30 per month rate now. There's no going back to Telus.

Telus if all you do is local calls.

Shaw if you do a lot of long distance.

I use Shaw digital phone and I love it.

My Ride
    GTI

I sell a lot of shaw digital phone services from my booth, it's crazy how many people site the main reason being that they just hate telus.

First month free when you sign up before the end of the month, and it has always been free installation, (at least out of our booth it has been), and first 3 months at $29.95.

It's a wicked service if you're doing lots of long distance, if you're not doing any long distance though, then don't get it.

Awesome...ya i heard that rogers.....(was sprint) before..has a plan with the home phone..that has unlimited north america as well...but shaw seems like a good deal...same phone number when u switch im guessing

Yeah the 30 dollar promo is only for a very short period so you won't be able to get it FiveFreshFish.

But Hakola it shouldn't be 3 months at 29.95, just 2. It used to be free install and 29.95/mo for 3 mos, but they recently added your first mo free, so your next 2 mos are 29.95.

But like everyone else said so far, Telus if just local calling, LD Shaw is the way to go. Vonage is garbage, just terrible customer service.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by anarchy
    Yeah the 30 dollar promo is only for a very short period so you won't be able to get it FiveFreshFish.

But Hakola it shouldn't be 3 months at 29.95, just 2. It used to be free install and 29.95/mo for 3 mos, but they recently added your first mo free, so your next 2 mos are 29.95.

But like everyone else said so far, Telus if just local calling, LD Shaw is the way to go. Vonage is garbage, just terrible customer service.
    I know, that's just the deal we've had for awhile, first 3 months at $29.95, but until the end of this month it's 1st month free.

I'll actually be surprised if the deal isn't extended longer though.

My Ride

I have EVERYTHING through shaw, and i'm pretty happy. I have some kind of upgraded internet (doesn't seem that way though), the phone, and a decent cable package with a few digitital channels (shaw is a rip off on the digitial channels).

Other than cable being a ripoff, we're quite happy. The phone was spotty at first, but now it's perfect. Haven't had trouble with it, and the all day free longdistance is handy.

Nice having one bill too, and the HD channels is a bonus.

My Ride
    is Invisible

I moved into my new place april 1st and have always used telus i switched over to shaw and stupid shaw still hasnt given me my old number back...bunch of idiots that work for that company!

Originally posted by adidas
    I moved into my new place april 1st and have always used telus i switched over to shaw and stupid shaw still hasnt given me my old number back...bunch of idiots that work for that company!
    It's not always Shaw. The company you had the number with before must release it first, and usually that's the delay.

My Ride
    Awesome

It's a shame you guys don't have SunRocket up there (unless you wanted a US number). I know that every VOIP company has had its growing pains, but these guys try hard to get it right. Actually I should just say "they" because the company is run by a female CEO...gotta be PC!

I know they're a big competitor in the States here to the "other" companies in the VoIP business...maybe soon they'll expand to Canda? I'll keep an eye out...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Shaw is good, but whatever is coming into our building (aparment) causes most peoples phone modems to trip off and no one has phone, so one of us has to walk down to the corner store or use a cell (neither of us have em) to get them to reset it. They have been good, but its fucking anoying when you dont have n e phone and your on call and waiting for work.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Sentra

+1 for shaw phone, zero problems so far

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

CIA local phone here for both phone and extreme internet. For 40 bucks a month for boht can't beat it. My service has been flawless since i got it 6 month ago. www.cia.com

Originally posted by eblend
    CIA local phone here for both phone and extreme internet. For 40 bucks a month for boht can't beat it. My service has been flawless since i got it 6 month ago. www.cia.com

For sure..looks like a good Deal.. why is it soo Cheap !????

Originally posted by Hakkola
    I sell a lot of shaw digital phone services from my booth, it's crazy how many people site the main reason being that they just hate telus.
    Our Shaw install guy said about the same thing, I guess I was pretty vocal about being glad to toss telus Anyway now with the digi phone, extreme net, and full cable, we're saving $10 over what we paid monthly to telus. Very pleased.